1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve just finished a test ride after using the “Delboy technique”. difficult to do solo because there’s no way to torque the stem nut without removing the handlebars. A short extension helps FYI.

Anyway, this time around I also unzip-tied the fork boots and wiped down the forks with a little tri-flow before administering CPR to the bike. I think it’s better, but I’m a bit cross-eyed - looking at this for so long.

It looks fine to a man on a gallopin’ horse. Movin’ on.
  2. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    Just drop the bike on the opposite side until the bars are straight.
  3. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That will happen sooner than later, no doubt. I just hope it’s a calibrated face plant.
    veriest1 likes this.
  4. boardforever

boardforever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope I didn't miss something catching up here, but if your handlebars are just a little off have you tried going caveman on it? Pull up next to a big rock and turn the wheel into it with a little force? Or stand next to it, hold on to the handlebars and give the tire a swift kick to the side?

After a tip over on a recent rocky ascent my bars were a little wonky, a quick couple kicks to the front wheel, good as new :)

Brute force isn't always the best answer but sometimes it just works.
    Twempie likes this.
  5. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I hope our paths cross on the trail some day.
    boardforever likes this.
  6. BDMaha

BDMaha Mud loving street rider

Oddometer:
    I need to sell this 2016. pm if anyone is interested

Attached Files:

swamp likes this.
  7. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5 great days in Wyoming The Rally Raid CB 500X was the perfect tool to visit so many amazing places on my bucket list

A0AC6755-EC91-4A25-B473-3AB85C1D5033.jpeg 6C95C380-CA3E-440A-85DC-AFF8BF841586.jpeg 80AFCF71-5833-4C19-AEB7-D8105E41D40E.jpeg 260957CC-5C79-4FDE-9CE4-EC41B51DDB0C.jpeg 709B7176-A7A6-498F-9557-A6C60D0E0A33.jpeg
    Piscoot, ncroadtoad, OneAUout and 4 others like this.
  9. 0p2_ADV

0p2_ADV Mother Earth is a source of life, not a resource

Oddometer:
    Having trouble aligning the bolts with the plates. Any advice ?

Attached Files:

boardforever likes this.
  10. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kerwin Wyoming

B32EFACF-B3B4-4817-BFF5-A790CE74C083.jpeg ED4BD060-655F-4FDF-B2DE-305198171FE3.jpeg 3AADE8BC-DCB2-470C-A509-208C956B0575.jpeg C86C6941-DDCF-4D24-BB30-4A66DFECCA94.jpeg
  11. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    I encountered the same little problem. I found they all need to start at basically the same time to get it all lined up. Notice how much angle you have? I also had to manipulate the shock a bit and wiggle things IIRC.
  12. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Use something like a "car jack" from an automobile or a "bottle jack" and jack up/down the swing-arm to align the bolt holes.
  13. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question about factory setup of the RRL2 Tractive shock.

I read in the Tractive manual to keep the LS and HS settings on the remote reservoir to around 9 clicks and not to deviate too far from that number. However, the factory settings on my delivered shock differ from the manual. HS was set at 9 clicks, and the LS was at 14.

I didn't notice any problems when riding a couple of trails on these settings, but still curious about what the factory settings usually are. Just as a matter of interest.

BTW, the rebound on the bottom of the spring is set at 9 clicks (from the factory), and I notched up my remote reservoir to 25 clicks.

After quite a bit of searching, I couldn't find a definitive answer to my question, so apologies if this has been covered before.
  14. 0p2_ADV

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that, definitely helped. Going to finish up the front in the next few days.
    veriest1 likes this.
  15. 0p2_ADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the all the questions you’ve been asking in thread. Most questions you’ve asked have been the answers I needed, just finished installing my rear shock this week. My question is should I leave the settings as they came and ride for a few hundred miles to break it in ? Or make adjustments for sag, rebound, and pre load before I go out and hit the trails ? TIA
  16. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. As for setting the sag. I measured that right away after installation, and was within specifications out of the box, making a good starting point of reference. As advised by Jenny, I took the bike out on a few trails to settle in the suspension. A couple of hundred miles should suffice, as I understand it.

My question (above) about the factory settings was purely academic, and writing those numbers down will help me when I start farting around with the settings... which I'm more than likely to do. The whole point of getting adjustable suspension is to dial it in.

One thing I have learned is if you adjust anything, make the change large enough so you can tell a setting has changed. You can always dial it back to where you began if you go too far. Several clicks instead of one or two. YMMV.
  17. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    Update - I guess I should close this question with an update - 2 clicks clockwise = noticeable improvement. Thanks everyone.
    bmah and veriest1 like this.
  18. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been chasing down a vibration that starts around 4900 rpm to about 5200 rpm. It’s not just felt through the handle bars but foot pegs and even the gas tank. I’ve chased down maybe 10 percent to the front cover. I’ve found that I installed slight off canter and the edge or the cover was rubbing on the down tube of the engine guard. Not that I recommend doing the next step, stuck my foot out at the 4900rpm and pushed on the engine guard could feel the immensely strong vibration. I have loosened the bolts and re-torqued the mounting bolts which did not help. I feel the vibration is coming from the way the rear is mounted with the pin. I grabbed the engine guard toward the back and there is some wiggle. I’m wondering if anyone else felt this and have a fix for it?
  19. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for additional bar risers for a Lv2 Tripleclamp/riser/fatbar setup. would like an add'l 1/2-1" if control cable/wire/hoses permit. Past experiances on limits of hoses?

Mike
  20. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Depending on the bars you have fitted, you are pretty much at the limit of the length of the cables/switchgear wiring already...

for info. Renthal 'RC High' bend bars have 84mm rise, and the ProTaper ADV [low] have 90mm rise - that is really the maximum unless you extend your wiring and cables.

[​IMG]
    photo. with the ProTaper ADV bars, and cable guides (around the ignition barrel) removed.

Jx