Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Work started today on machining the first 2 production rear billet hubs for our CB500X in order to offer a spoked wheel conversion for this popular bike.
    One hub will be laced to an 18" rim, the other to a 17" so that we can ride the bike with our 19" front spoked wheel and get a feel for the difference between them.
    Each hub is CNC machined on a large lathe, with driven tooling, so it can turn and mill in one operation, to achieve the accuracy required.
    These will be anodised then sent to Talon Engineering to be spoked up to Excel rims.
    Each hub is made out of a 180mm diameter, 200mm long blank of high-grade aircraft-spec aluminium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Kray

Kray Long timer

Oddometer:

When do you expect these to be ready for public testing and maybe even purchasing? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hee hee - patience dear fellow! (but at the same time, thank you for your continued enthusiasm!)

Until we have tested all of the core components together (that is the production spec wheels, fork upgrades and new/longer rear shock), we can't give a definitive answer - as we feel it is essential to have all those parts available together to offer an effective 'Adventure kit' - which can then be augmented with all the additional candy depending on your needs or wants... ;o)

However, I can tell you that we are looking to have the first batch of those key production components ready for sale to coincide with the end of the Dakar Rally - so that's mid-January 2015 - hopefully, to help celebrate Honda finally getting on the podium* (instead of throwing it all away again - eh Barreda?!)

(*if so, I can see a limited edition CRF Rally inspired graphics kit in the catalogue too ;o)

Jx
  4. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Jmo, is there any chance the new rear shock could be designed in such a way that it would allow switching between the stock wheels and the wire ones? It'd be nice to have tubeless for day to day riding and then be able to throw on the fun wheels for the weekend. I assume that if you left the rally raid shock on when switching back to the stock wheels your bike would be a bit on the twitchy side due to the rear lift?
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Dillo - that's a good point worth raising, although to be honest, I don't know why you'd really want to switch back and forth between a 19" and 17" front wheels, as there won't be a dramatic difference (not in the same way as sticking a 17" supermoto wheel on a regular 21" front wheel dual sport has) - and if you chose the right tread pattern on the 17/19" combo, I doubt the day to day running of the bike is going to be particularly compromised - other than the tubeless element perhaps* which you point out...

Of course if you want a set of sticky road rubber for daily scratching, and a properly gnarly set of knobblies for dirt running, then certainly swapping wheels has a place (not forgetting the whole purpose of the 'Adventure' conversion to the CB-X is to make it more multi-perpose and 'all-road' capable in itself) - and I imagine if anyone is planning to take it seriously off-highway at the weekends, then you are also likely to have the bike set up with both the front and rear suspension mods to maximise ground clearance - therefore the bike will remain level (just a bit higher overall) and the difference between the two front wheel radius' is still only going to be an inch, which you ought to be able to adjust using the remote pre-load/ride-height adjuster to a significant degree.

*As an aside. Regarding any tubed vs. tubeless 'concern' - you often see this here on ADV rider, and personally I feel this to be academic to be honest - after all, when was the last time you got a puncture on the road anyway? (particularly when you consider the number of miles ridden)... I'd suggest you are far more likely to actually get a flat when off-road and therefore on the tubed wheel set-up anyway? Of course that is not to say that fixing a flat at the side of a busy highway isn't far quicker and easier with a tubeless tyre and plug set - my point is simply that in reality, if you are running decent tyres at the correct pressures, it is [fortunately] a rare occurrence in either case!

Hope that helps!

Jx
  6. glorp

glorp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    whattya mean? thats me waiting for my turn on a strom with 400km and stock trailwings :lol3

[​IMG]
  7. Dave1899

Dave1899 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JMo & ktmmitch, How are you guys doing on a skid plate to fit with the CB500X OEM center stand? Still patiently waiting to hear some good news. :ear
  8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave - don't worry, it will come soon enough!

'Mitch's priority at the moment is to finalise the spec of the fork kit and the rear shock development - as both of these are dependent on partnerships with a 3rd party manufacturer, who have lead times of their own...

Once we have the bike standing on the new wheels and suspension, the other components and accessories will be straight forward enough to develop in-house quickly, as they are effectively derivatives of existing product lines - skid-plate, luggage rack, footrests etc.

It is possible we will be able to roll out a few of those items before the end of this year, but fundamentally we are looking for everything to be available from stock from January onwards.

Jx
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Jenny, thanks for the updates.
  10. snoman32

snoman32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed as I've been lucky enough on my last bike -Husky TE610- to run my stock wheels as the weekend dirt/knobbie set and a Warp 9 Super moto set for my weekday commutes....and what you are offering is exactly what I've been waiting for on the 500x, legit Socal/AZ/Utah/south of the border hoops!

Can't wait to see all the goodies!
  11. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Just in case this gets bumped from the main CB500X thread in Beasts - someone asked how soon they might expect the [various elements of the] Adventure kit to be commercially available...

To give you all a little heads-up, as you may already be aware, Rally Raid will also be racing their LC4-50 rally bike http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983507 at Dakar this year, so right now that is taking priority in the workshops...

However, fear not - certain elements of the Adventure conversion will need to be provided by our outside suppliers: the suspension components and the new exhaust are being outsourced, while the wheels of course will be built by Talon using our [unique] hub design. These elements are all ongoing, and once the LC4-50 Dakar bike has been shipped to South America towards the end of next month, it will be full speed ahead productionising everything for the CB500X.

We intend to have the stage 1 kit (that is the wheels, front suspension and rear shock - together with a revised exhaust silencer that will be required if you want to run a longer rear shock, since the OEM silencer has a fat conical section that is already very close to the swing arm in standard position) available towards the end of January 2015.

There is also every chance that various accessories such as the skid-plate, high fender kit, and luggage racks will be available even sooner than that...

However conversely, the new nose/screen assembly (that Novaman specifically alludes to above) is unlikely to appear before the end of January, as it will have to be injection moulded and there is a lot of work involved in creating a production mould for that... Therefore it is more likely that the 'rallye nose' will be introduced shortly after the initial stage 1 kit - although rest assured we certainly intend to incorporate it as part of our more 'extreme' build in preparation for racing a CB500X at the Tuareg Rallye in March.

Jx
  12. aai

aai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update on the target release of stage 1
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I went to visit KTMmitch today, and sure enough, he was up to his elbows preparing the LC4-50 Dakar race bike....

However, he did show me his Mk.2 version of the CB-X soft-luggage racks:

[​IMG]

As you can see, he has made them a little wider than the original versions (post #51 on the previous page) for two reasons: the first is so you can fit a 'tool tube' inside the racks on either side - these are very handy for tyre levers, general tool-rolls, or tent poles for example... the other reason is to provide enough top space to incorporate optional pillion/grab handles - in a similar position to the OEM ones that have to be removed to fix the racks (you can see one of the proposed replacement handles on the seat):

[​IMG]

The holes for these handles will also allow for an additional tail rack to be fitted is desired - note. this will NOT be a top-box rack (those are already available from other manufacturers of course), rather it will complement the soft luggage side racks for a duffle or tent bag etc. similar to their one for the KTM 690: http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk...90-enduro-accesories/ktm-690-enduro-rear-rack

These soft luggage side racks are optimised to support bags such as the Giant Loop Coyote and/or Siskiyou pannier system, and similar soft bags. You could also for example fit a combination of Rotopax and Kriega bags - the idea being that since this is a 'lightweight' adventure bike, that ethos ought to carry thorough to your luggage system too? - less is more and all that.

Of course we are aware that some people prefer hard luggage bags, particularly if touring primarily on the road and wanting to leave the bike unattended. However, we feel the CB500X is already well-supported in the hard-luggage category, and while it might be possible to improve slightly on the current designs out there, we would rather offer new and genuinely useful alternatives to riders who may wish to travel lighter and/or venture a little further off the beaten track?

Jx
  14. markinthailand

markinthailand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks great -- the extra room for the tool tube especially. I've got Hepco Becker racks on mine, and they are just a little too narrow to fit a tool tube on the inside. Still trying to figure that out...
  15. sparky831

sparky831 Weekend Warrior

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the update. Eagerly awaiting the upgrades. Especially the wheel set and suspension....and now the soft luggage racks. The rack should work as a support system for Wolfman Luggage as well, no?

Like these:

http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/summit-saddle-bags

Thanks!
  16. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it will work well with Giant Loop or Wolfman, they seem the most popular.
  17. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2 first pre-production billet rear hubs to suit our Motoden Honda CB500X are just being finished on the CNC mill, and will then be black anodised before being laced to a 17" and 18" rear rim for evaluation, in combination with a 19" front spoked wheel set.
    Once we have these fitted it will be possible to carry on with the different suspension changes we have in mind.
    The increased ground clearance will then mean we can design an aluminium engine guard to compliment the dual-sport look of our kit.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  18. novaman64

novaman64 Some sumo guy

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Any idea how the laced up wheels will compare in weight to the stockers?
  19. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not yet, we will weigh them when finished.
  20. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that 120 and 150 tires in 19/17" are a bit big for this 500.
    I feel the 120-19 knobby will be slow steering, and the 150 knobby rear, although not as bad will still be heavy and too much tire for the modest torque of the 500.
    Even though the stock 17's carry the 120/160 combo, very much street standard sizing, there is no reason to try and keep up with those sizes on 19/17 wheels IMO, on the sprightly 500.
    Wouldn't a 100 or 110 front and a 140 rear be more suitable and handle better off pavement? Just curious, and a minor detail I suppose.
    Other than that your up and coming kit sounds wonderful! :thumb