Rally Raid Products Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Price: £1,500.00
    Is that for the rear only?
    How much for shipping to US?
  2. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, which mousses have you been using, and how well have they held up under a 500lb bike? I've heard the big bikes can chew through a mousse after ~2 days at the Baja Rally, but that's in the Mexican desert where it's a fair bit hotter than at Illyria.
  3. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Price is £1250 a pair to USA, shipping calculated when you enter your delivery details in our webshop
  4. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have run the Michelin Desert Mousses front and rear, with Mitas Enduro tyres, and more recently Pirelli.
    The mousses hold up well, it's the constant higher speed road work that kills them rather than hard off road
  5. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Have you had any trouble with the mousses only being the equivalent of ~14ish PSI? I run double that when I'm riding off road but I suppose I could go lower if I wasn't worried about pinch flats.

Also, apparently Golden Tyre is making bigger mousses for ADV sized tires. They make a 150/80 now, although it's similarly low pressure: https://www.goldentyrewest.com/gmousse-insert
  6. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    No trouble with the mousses, just keep it to 55mph on the road, and get used to the "roll" in he corners, but NO PUNCTURES, NO TOOLS NEEDED TO CARRY !!
  7. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Do you use Excel rims?
  8. RMABTC

RMABTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] tested over 10,000km in the Canadian Rockies...[​IMG]
    WoodrowBDR and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  9. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally, we managed to get the loan of an Africa Twin DCT to do testing on our new LOW tubeless HD wheels, to add to our Rally and OEM size tubeless kits.
    Because of interest from prospective customers who find the CRF1000L a little tall, plus they would like the option of a wider range of tubeless road tyres that is not offered in the normal 21" front & 18" rear rim sizes, we decided to do a one-off pair to evaluate.
    The main worry was that the traction control, ABS and power modes all use the wheel speed to function, so changing down wheel diameters might cause these electronic aids to malfunction, but we have ridden withem on our own AT manual model with no problems, apart from the 2 obvious ones we expected.
    1.The speedo now reads about 10% higher.
    2. The final gearing is approx 10% lower.
    Both of these can be corrected by supplying the wheel kits with re-designed ABS rings and a smaller tooth rear sprocket.
    John, from Gloucester, kindly rode up to Rally Raid HQ to allow us to fit the LOW wheel kit onto his own DCT Africa Twin and then took it off for a test ride to experience the differences.
    He came back suitably impressed, and much preferred the lower seat height, and improved handling from the 19" front wheel on the road. His comments about the lower gearing were that he, personally, would'nt raise the gearing back to standard, as the lower final ratio gave a smoother acceleration and flexibilty, he tends to ride in mode S2, and said the lower gearing made it feel like an "S 1,5" ratio.
    John also had fitted the auto tyre pressure monitoring system, which uses bluetooth to signal between the screw-on valve caps and the bar mounted display.
    Our billet CNC machined hubs accept the OEM discs and screws, and fit the OEM cush drive and rubbers.
    These will be available in the next 4-6 weeks from stock, in either black or gold finish.

WEBSHOP LINK

Thanks to Cambrian Tyres for supplying the new Anlas Capra-R adventure tyres for testing, these will be available to order from stock from our webshop.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    NSFW, dodgierogie, McBoab and 3 others like this.
  10. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Hi, I've received my order of the low wheel set 19/17
    The information on the website reads:
    I was expecting these were part of the wheel set.
    If not, sae they in stock?
    When are these custom ABS wheels available to order?

PS I've tried to contact someone at RR via your online form,
    but have not had any response. Can you respond here?
  11. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you tell how close the Scorpion full header system is to the stock as to routing and configuration. I would like to retain my Touratech hydroformed skid plate and am willing and able to make small changes. But if the Scorpion header projects much farther from the frame along the bottom there will be a big issue. If they tuck in like the stock pipes up front that would be terrifice. I would really like to clean up the exhaust vs. stock.

Love your wheels and I think they will be on my list shortly. Two sets for this bike is what I need.
  12. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    You won't be disappointed!
    What's half an inch less ground clearance?
    Unless you're the next Supercross champ, you can learn to ride with 19/17.
    On the tarmac it's well planted depending on tire choice.
    If you have DCT, there are mods required but not a deal breaker. I'm still awaiting the redesigned ABS rings for DCT :(

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  13. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid we've never tried the Scorpion full header with TT skid plate
  14. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another satisfied Africa Twin owner, Neil, who has changed over to our Heavy-Duty Tubeless Low wheels for his DCT version CRF1000L.
    The 19" front & 17" rear wheels,with our Billet hubs and Bartubeless conversion transform the handling of the bike on road, mainly due to the much greater choice of tubeless tyres and the wider profiles, compared to the OEM 21" & 18" tubed wheels, plus it is easier to touch the floor at standstill due to the 25mm lower seat height.
    We fitted the Continental Trail Attack 3 tyres as his choice, as we have these on our own demo bike that Neil rode and he was very pleased with the grip and low noise from them, even on the wet day he came to test ride.
    This Low kit comes with a new ABS ring for the front wheel to correct the reduced rolling diameter, and a 40T rear sprocket to correct the gearing due to the slightly smaller rear wheel circumference.
    Designed to work with both manual & DCT versions, and both Adventure & Adv Sport models, all years.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    motocopter likes this.
  15. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    WEDNESDAY WORKSHOP;
    Everyone at Rally Raid Products is working extra hours whilst we try and keep up with billet hub production for CB500X, G310GS and CRF1000L Africa Twin.
    Our CMZ CNC lathe is really earning it's keep these days, and with new, solid carbide cutters running at very high speeds and feeds, we have managed to increase efficiency and output to meet our customer's demand for our heavy-duty spoked wheels.
    At least in the dark winter evenings we are not missing any riding time..........roll on Spring !!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kastenfrosch and motocopter like this.
  16. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another CRF1000L Africa Twin owner, Chris, arrived today for a set of our Tubeless Low wheel kits to be fitted.
    The 19" front and 17" rear rims, laced to our billet hubs with stainless-steel heavy-duty spokes, topped off with the Bartubeless conversion really transforms the handling of the bike.
    He decided to have the new Continental Trail Attack 3 tyres fitted, and after a brief test ride, was very impressed.
    He's off for a european trip soon, and after 2 roadside punctures requiring wheel removal to change inner tubes, decided our tubeless option was the way to go.

WEBSITE LINK

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    motocopter and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  17. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Proof is in the pudding:
    Tested my new setup with Michelin Anakees
    on the Tail of The Dragon:
    2018Dragon.jpg

Next set of tires will be 50/50 on/off road.
    I see no issues there.
    motocopter and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  18. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why use a tap when you can use a thread mill if you have a powered head. Orrr just a threading tool and not waste a powered holder. But either way those look real nice.
  19. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are not conventional taps, but "thrillers" which first drill down to a set depth using the drill point, and put a lead in chamfer, then retract out a couple of mm and then interpolate the thread form using the slightly recessed teeth on the side of the cutter, saves having 3 tools and very quick, it takes about 9 seconds from start to finish on an M8 thread x 20 deep

https://www.emuge.com/products/thread-mills/bgf-thriller
    Smittyrunner likes this.
  20. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    To celebrate our Rally Raid Products CB500X Vendors thread reaching a massive 1 MILLION views in just over 4 years, we are giving ADV Rider Inmates the chance to claim 10% discount on all orders, for the next month.

Just email: john@rally-raidproducts.co.uk with your ADV inmate name, before placing your order, and we will reply with a unique Coupon Code for you to use to claim the discount.

This applies to all parts on our website, not just CB500X related items.

Thanks to everyone at ADV Rider for helping this to happen.