Rally @ the Rock Post Event Ride Reports

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by kendall_smith, Oct 13, 2015.

1. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:
    The inaugural Razorback Riders present Rally @ the Rock event has come and gone. I think the general consensus among everyone I heard was that the event was a success! That is good news for both the club and any riders that want to come be our guests here in the Ozark National Forest in the future.

I thought I'd start this thread so we could discuss the event and people could share their feedback and ride reports from the event. As of me typing this, the event thread is still active in the Rallies sub-forum, but that will probably not last much longer since they delete those threads after the event.

I'd like to thank everyone for coming out and helping to contribute to what we hope will be the first of many events of this type for our club. We're very lucky to be able to ride in this area since we live close and it is awesome to share our area and local knowledge with you guys and gals when you come visit!

Thanks to our sponsors as well: Subway, Plato's Closet, Rainbow Honda, and the Razorback Riders Motorcycle Club.

Now let's hear some ride reports from the event!
    BigDeal and ChunkyXCracer like this.
  2. RGoree

RGoree RG

Oddometer:
    I also want to thank the organizers for putting on a welcoming and enjoyable event. I came to this event not knowing anyone and left with meeting many great people. Southern hospitality at its best not withstanding the Wisconsin crew :photog. Just cause y'all come from yankee land did not mean you brought any less hospitality. There was great riding for every type of bike and rider laid out for us to enjoy and make it back to camp in one piece each day. A 1 event that I would love to come back to.

For what it is worth, $75 is a very fair price even if one shows up but for one day. The logistics of trying to have "a la carte pricing" would be daunting and makes no sense. You guys made the right call!

My only regret was not taking the time to get more pics. Here are some that I did get to snap off.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    2015 R 1200 GSA
    BigDeal likes this.
  3. RGoree

RGoree RG

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]More pics
    BigDeal likes this.
  4. RGoree

RGoree RG

Oddometer:
    And more[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    BigDeal likes this.
  5. ChunkyXCracer

ChunkyXCracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MOVE MY POST TO THIS THREAD.

Hello everyone,

Let me tell anyone thinking about this event for next year......DO IT!!!! I had an absolute blast riding this area and met some great guys at the same time.

Thanks goes out to Rob, Steve and Carlos for helping two NOOB Okies out for direction and help.

Max is doing fine after his encounter with the table size rock (huge thanks to Carlos on this event and getting him back to the camp). I am still sore from the 153 mile loop but ready to go again tomorrow. I will be there again next year for sure and plan to show up in the area a few more times in the near future.

Good job Kendall, Shelly and Rob!!!!

If you are out there Crystal......please ride safe and keep up the free spirit and have fun on your continued venture across the country.

Photos to come later.

Thanks Razorback Riders MC!!!!
    BigDeal likes this.
  6. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:
    I'll start with my report. After months of planning, the weekend of the event was finally here, so I loaded up my camper and headed out to the RR campground on Wednesday. BigDeal and I figured we'd better get to the campground early to handle any last minute issues that might not have been taken care of and greet our guests as they came in.

Our first participants to show up were also the ones that came from the furthest-the Wisconsin boys rolled into camp on Thursday morning and we were officially up and running. As more rally goers showed up Rob (aka BigDeal) was a check-in machine and made sure to greet every new person and get them signed in and show them the lay of the land.

On Friday morning, I got all geared up and ready to go riding for the day. Rob had informed me that he had talked to all the riders that had showed up by that point (I think it was about 8 of them, IIRC) and they all decided to ride the Medium Bike West .gpx track that we had laid out. I watched as they all took off together and realized that I wasn't needed as a ride leader at that point, so I headed back over to my camper to hang out until something that needed addressed popped up. Shortly after, I heard several bikes coming down from the trails on the east side of camp and it turned out to be some of our rally participants that were renting cabins instead of using the RR campground, so I had my group to ride with for the day. We started out just riding some trails near the campground exploring for about an hour and a half. By that time everyone was ready for some lunch, so they all went to Combs to get a burger at the cafe and I went back to camp to eat a sandwich. While I was in camp eating lunch a nice gentle soaking (but cold!) rain started to fall and I was thinking it was good time for a nap, but I had already told the group that I would meet them at the cafe at Combs to ride the Little Bike West track that goes into Frog Bayou, so I threw on my jacket and headed that way in the rain. As it turned out, it eventually became one of the best days of riding that I had done in the area due to the rain soaking in and knocking the dust down. Later in the afternoon, the trails were perfect and we had a great time riding some really fun trails over in the Frog Bayou area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday morning started off with breakfast over at Camp-Run-A-Mucka. I'd like to thank these guys big time- they were not officially affiliated with the rally or the club in any way except for being participants and friends and they ended up feeding quite a few folks. If any of you were at SLAP, you'll know that they did the same thing there and they are some awesome guys! Thanks ArkWhizzy and Valentino Magoo! That breakfast burrito was awesome!

[​IMG]

After breakfast, Rob (BigDeal) let me know that I was going to lead a Medium Bike route to the east for some guys that wanted a leader, so we ended up with about 8 riders for me to lead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up losing a couple of them on Fly Gap Road a few miles into the ride. The young rider on the KLX 140 had a little get off on one of the gnarlier sections and he and his dad ended up heading back to camp to straighten his bike out. I saw them riding later, so it appeared that they got everything figured out. After that, we mostly rode the medium bike track over to Catalpa for some lunch via Fly Gap East, Beech Grove Road and 215.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seemed that the group was pretty satisfied with the riding to that point and wanted to get back to camp, so I told them the best way to get back and one other rider (David) and I took off to do some exploring north and west of Catalpa/Oark.

After that, we got back into camp in time for the dinner and raffle. It turned out to be a good time and I think everyone walked away with at least a little prize, if not a pretty good one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday night after the dinner and raffle, there were several different campfires to hang out at, as well as the clubhouse with the wood stove going, so I just kind of randomly mingled. Sunday morning brought the end of the rally for most and some riders went out for a final weekend ride while the rest of us got loaded up for the trip home.

All in all, it was a great weekend and I'd like to thank everyone again for their participation and contributions! I hope to see all of you and more back for the next one!
    ChunkyXCracer and BigDeal like this.
  7. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    I had a great time even tough I only got to ride one day. Unfortunately 5 weeks ago Kendal and I were out riding what was going to be the little bike west track and while we were trying to find our way around an impassable road due to a landslide and a tree down... I fell and broke a rib and bruised some more.:muutt I felt pretty good for the rally but am still a little sore so I had to stick to the easy stuff on Sunday.

It was great meeting so many new people that share the passion for motorcycles we do. This event was a big hit for the club members. Our club president made the comment to me that at races at least one person complains about the course or some other rider that may have ticked them off or even cheated or whatever... But at Dual sport Rallies everyone is happy :ricky.
    At the Rally people just want to come to ride motorcycles and then hang out :freaky:kumbaya :beer.

I look forward to seeing everyone that can make it out again next year. We hope to build on our experience that made this year a success and make next year's rally even better.
  8. Tourbus

Tourbus Lost but not worried

Oddometer:
    From the Rally Thread:

I arrived Thursday about noon with the Wisconsin crew and we were welcomed immediately by Kendall and another member of the staff. This event was even MORE laid back than SLAP.

My only suggestion would be to have a list of tracks from area events along with their difficulty for riders to chose from. Slap, ARK 500 etc are very close but first timers may not know that.

We rode the west medium bike tracks with RGoree Friday including up Panell Rd which he handled like a master on the BMW 1200GS.

Saturday was the BEST day of riding I and the Wisconsin boys have had in NWA. East on Fly Gap, loop south of the Mullbery crossing the river near Catalpa, lunch at Oark, north on Beech grove Rd.

If Y'all will do the work of putting this on again we"ll be there.

Butch
    RGoree and BigDeal like this.
  9. RGoree

RGoree RG

Oddometer:
    FROM THE RALLY THREAD:

Wow thanks for the compliment Butch. Although I think is was more fear, panic, and divine intervention than me handling like a master.
  10. grigby

grigby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very disappointed I was unable to make the event this year. Instead, I wasted a lot of money going to the Dallas / New England game with some friends that flew in from CA! Oh well, won't make that mistake next year.
    BigDeal likes this.
  11. ChunkyXCracer

ChunkyXCracer Adventurer

Oddometer:

What everyone needs to know Rick - is you were doing those roads on some 90% street tires as well. Good riding.
    RGoree likes this.
  12. OLEARY

OLEARY Enlightened Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too am quite disappointed that I did not make the rally! I was all loaded Thursday night ready to head out and felt a bit puny so I thought I will get up early Friday morning and head out. Felt worse Friday morning. That is the way it went, downhill from there. Missed getting to catch up with the local tribe and meet some new folks, not to mention some great riding. I know how much effort goes into putting these events together so Kudos to all who organized and prerode the tracks. I will give it my best shot to make it next year. :norton
    BigDeal likes this.
  13. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:

thanks. this year so far as tracks for easy gravel we only had the big bike route and that was 153 miles (about 50 of that was pavement). Next year we'll have more in that category as well as the other categories. A shorter easy ride will be easy to put together. We also tossed around the idea for next year of making each track shorter with optional add on tracks so you can make your ride longer. This takes a lot more work and planning so we'll see.
  14. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Looks like it was a great event! Hopefully next year I won't have a conflict with work and can make it.
    BigDeal likes this.
  15. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good time was had by many. I wish I could have been there. Next year for sure.
  16. ChunkyXCracer

ChunkyXCracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had such a great time last weekend in AR that I am bringing the family back this weekend for some site seeing and hiking. I wish it involved the bike but I have learned to choose you battles and weekend rides wisely.
  17. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    You were thought about as I was dining with your wife! :D
  18. Rockingm

Rockingm Secure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Need to be careful-Muzzleloader Deer hunting starts Saturday(10-17). Lot of hunters in that area. Definitely wear Orange!
    BigDeal and DrLewall like this.
  19. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moved post to this thread and added first video

I arrived Thursday after dark and was immediately greeted by Rob who checked me in and showed me around. Rob also made sure I was hooked up with someone to ride with on Friday and Saturday.

On Friday I rode with the Wisconsin group on the medium bike west track. I got to partially witness RGoree rocket up, yes uphill not downhill, Warloop on his 1200GS. I say partially because one moment I was right behind him and the next he was gone. I think he had a JATO strapped onto the bike. Somehow we messed up on following the tracks and didn’t make it to Panell RD. I still need to look at the tracks and figure out where we went wrong.

Saturday a club member took a few of us on some single track and ATV trails. If I remember correctly his name was John. After I messed up my knee John and Hayes (another club member) got me out of the woods and Hayes made sure I got back to camp while John went back to make sure the rest of the group didn’t get lost. Then Rob and Mike Ward got my bike loaded up and helped me load my stuff so I could get home to some pain relief. Major thanks to all of them for the help!!! I have some video of Friday and Saturday I’ll post up.

Live music one night……..I enjoyed sitting round a camp fire with the Wisconsin group and then around the stove in the clubhouse.

Improvements…..maybe an event campfire area each night or let everyone know that there will be a fire in the clubhouse to hang out around. That would help the solo riders get to know others at the event.
    I don’t know exactly how to work this but it would be good to have some kind of riders meeting each night or early in the morning to get groups together for the rides instead of Rob running around trying to make sure everyone was taken care of.
    Might be good to have members and/or the event personnel in labeled shirts so we know who is local and knows the area and who is a guest.

If I can, I’ll be back for next year. The facility is great, the people are great, and the riding is great.

Friday's ride of the medium bike west route

20. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday mornings ride. A couple of members, I believe it was John leading, took a few of us on some ATV and single track. Hayes is the guy I'm following.

I was ready to leave the bike and hobble out. John and Hayes convinced me I needed to ride out. John found a shorter route out and Hayes made sure I got back to camp OK. That was a painful ride out. Bob and Rob loaded my bike in my truck and helped me load my stuff. Doc thinks I damaged my ACL. MRI on Monday and back to the Doc on Wed to get the results.
    If they host this event next year I'll be back!