RallyBlitz - Rally iPhone App

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. shiskowd

shiskowd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You need an ipad mini with cellular for the built in GPS only - no need for a sim card or cell service.
    rides2little likes this.
  2. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    iPad Mini 1 with Cellular works no problem. They can be found on ebay or local craigslist regularly for less than $100.
    theantipaul likes this.
  3. Whatever Dood

Whatever Dood No title available

Oddometer:
    If the roadbook(s) and gpx file(s) aren't already on your device then yes, you'll need to load them over a cellular or wi-fi network. If you've staged your files in local storage, like Dropbox or Google Drive then you can open/send them to RBNavPro from those other apps. But if you can, load all your files in the app while you have a wi-fi network before you head out!
    MasterMarine likes this.
  4. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm fighting with the programming of the Ardunino however hopefully with the help of an inmate here I will have success!
  5. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tileman is sorted and on to soldering he setup!

Here is a video of the Rally Blitz Pro app (full paid version) working with the Adafruit Bluetooth switches and Highway Dirtbike button mounts.
  6. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to rides for helping out, much appreciated. Now to find out if I can sort powering of the boards the way I'd like which I'm onto our local supplier to find out.
    theantipaul likes this.
  7. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. Taken a bit longer than I thought to get round to wiring but still.

Just looking through the pinout requirements. Does pin 5 and 11 need to be wired together, or can you use either 5 or 11? When I use the toggle switch I have There would I think only be 3 wires from it. GRND, + and -. I'd normally have thought that the + side would go to one pin and the - to another. Atleast that worked for the Ez-key I have before I killed it. For testings sake I'd like to know as I have fried on board already this year! Obviously I also need to use a GRND.

Same as goes for pins 6 and 12, 6 or 12?
  8. rides2little

Oddometer:
    You would wire one side of a switch to the numbered connections on the board, the other to ground. There will be a bunch of wires to ground, one for each button/toggle(or all grounds in series with one home run). Think of it this way, when you engage a button you are closing an electrical loop between that numbered terminal and ground, not two numbered terminals(which are all + voltage).

The toggle shares the same ground for both functions.

The multiple pins for roadbook/odo + or - are just options for landing more buttons.
  9. rides2little

Oddometer:
    I have had a few PMs on what the latest mounting options are for a lite setup. This is what I have been running lately. I have about 900 miles so far with no issues, other than a loose nut on the bar mount portion and I knew that was going to happen the first ride and was prepared with the correct wrench easily accessible, hasn't budged since, even with some good drops and compressions. It comes on or off the bike in one piece in less than 5 minutes if I just leave the U-bolt Ram mount on the bars.

The only 'modifications' I did were to drill the back RAM plate to match the tablet holder because I was impatient on trying to find the right RAM part to fit and then to put two sheet metal screws into the back slider portion of the tablet holder since it is only spring loaded and I wanted it a bit more secure but it might work fine as is. You can see the screws on either side of the BT button controller box. Also a few well placed holes for some wire management zip-ties, don't pull too tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case is the Lifeproof Nuud case for iPad mini 2 (get the correct version for your ipad mini) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IL7FMLQ
    Dual USB Charging port https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...d=1521736244&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+sea+charger
    Fused SAE battery connector, long enough to reach near handlebars https://burnsmoto.com/products/heavy-duty-sae-battery-lead-12-24-36-or-48?variant=38098461767
    (my connection/plug I made match a power lead I already had setup so it doesn't represent the link above)
    The holder is the RAM Mount http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-un...dle-for-8-in-tablets-with-case-ram-hol-tab29u
    RAM C Sized (1.5" ball) metal parts:
    Plate for back of iPad holder http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-rectangular-2-x-2.5-inch-plate-with-1.5-inch-ball
    Standard length arm http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-standard-length-dual-1.5-inch-socket-arm
    U-bolt for handlebars http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-large-dual-zinc-u-bolt-base-c-ball-ram-235-15z

The dedicated BT button set is from HERE

This is probably the cheapest way to try out Rally Navigation short of a tupperware setup where you are hand turning the roadbook.
    MotoPolo, Yellow Pig, jonz and 8 others like this.
  10. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Similar to my setup, but very cleanly executed. I wish mine looked that nice!
    Whatever Dood likes this.
  11. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Ride2Littles Setup is way nicer than mine, but thought I'd walk through it a bit.

12. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I thought I read on this thread over a year ago that the odometer on the RallyBlitz Nav iPhone app could be incremented and decremented by shorting the audio jacks left and right channels momentarily. I can't make mine do it. Does anyone have a clue what I have to do to make this work?
    Thanks in advance. Or maybe it was in a dream???
  13. rides2little

Oddometer:
    Someone hacked a set of earbuds that had volume control in them. I was pretty sure he posted some pics. I don’t know which wires those would be in a jack though or if it is that simple.
  14. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Ahh yes the volume control. I bet that was a Bluetooth thing. Maybe RAadio Shack will have one of those. I will try a search. Thanks man!
  15. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Hi Cavebiker. If you dig apart an iphone earbud set you'll see that there is actually a chipset under the buttons that send a modulated signal through the 3.5mm to adjsut the volume. It's not a simple shorting.

If you want a simple solution ziptie the + - part of an earphone set near you thumb and it will work perfectly for adjusting the odo.
  16. rides2little

Oddometer:
    This was a wired set of earphones, not bluetooth. This post here
    Gany and canadius_maximus like this.
  17. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    OK that explains it, I have a stereo jack, this setup needs an Apple jack [​IMG]

Now I'm looking at a search for 'apple earbuds' and all I see are setups that use the USB port, not the audio jack. I need the USP port to keep the phone powered during the race. I'll ask at the Cabo Radio Shack and see what they got.
    Thanks for the help. This is good stuff.
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Those older apple earbuds should be a dime a dozen. Try to find a used pair.
  19. Whatever Dood

Whatever Dood No title available

Oddometer:
    Pleased to announce that version 1.2 of RBNavPro is ready for download in the App Store. This version includes improvements in file management, partial support for the emerging OpenRally GPX extension, and additional options for configuring BlueTooth remotes. Please have a go and let us know what you think!
    homerj, 1litre, Gany and 3 others like this.
  20. rides2little

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up for people that are upgrading to the new version. You will need to delete the files out of your RB library and reload them after updating. The new release has icons for the file types now and if you try and load an existing file from the library the app crashes. A very small price to pay for the great added benefit of icons in the library to help quickly see what files are what!!
    gearheadE30 and Whatever Dood like this.