Rallye bike build - Kiwi Safari Team, Bro 1

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by JayBo1, Mar 10, 2009.

1. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't weighed it but Bro-2 weighed his and came up with 138kg dry. That's about the dry weight of the 640 I used last year in standard trim so the 530 must be a good 25kg lighter than the 640 in race trim and probably closer to 30kg lighter fueled up. (The 640 carried 33 litres compared to 26 litres for the 530). Everything about the 640 was big and solid and heavy.

Michelin kindly delivered my Mousses almost a year ago so Mousses fitted front and rear, and two sets of each so I can rotate them with the spares. I also have 10 sets of Michelin Desert tyres so fresh tyres front and rear every day. I won't have many excuses this year!:deal

Are you applying for the job then R???:lol3

Cheers mate. Someone once said "The harder you work and the better prepared you are the luckier you get". I'm feeling lucky. (Mind you I've never won Lotto despite feeling lucky about it ... maybe I should buy tickets?:lol3 )

Cheers
    JayBo
  2. cooneyr

cooneyr terra firma rider

Oddometer:
    I'm keen as to be a wrench monkey next year. Just have to see how the year pans out. Be a great way to get some red dust under the fingernails.
  3. french horn

french horn Just Add venture

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [/quote]

Pardon my ignorance but ... is that a sidestand I see ? ... it looks too close to the rear tank, given the tank may sag and the sidestand pivot may allow much movement at the "foot" end. If this were to happen, I foresee damage to the tank.
    Having seen how fastidious you are, I'm sure all is well ... but it may be something to check. It could be the angle which the pic was taken.

Can't wait for some action shots !! .. looking great.:clap:clap

Oh, that seat is the cherry on top isn't it?
  4. Cummo

Cummo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how did the bike go?
  5. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike was absolutely fantastic:clap :clap :clap . The crew changed engine and gearbox oil every night, including flushing the coarse filter screens and replacing the engine oil filter every night. We used Motorex 10W60 oil - nothing but the best for my girl. We fitted new Michelin Desert tyres front and rear every day and rotated the two pairs of well lubed Mousses every day and had no tyre or Mousse problems, unlike many other teams. Fresh air filters every day with the uber expensive Hardparts dust filter on top and made extra sure the filters were fitted well and securely every day. Other than that just add fuel and race!

The only very minor problem we had was the aluminium clamp for the nav tower worked in a little on the weld around the steering head and required a little grinding and filing on a couple of occasions as the tower gained a few millimeters of movement. I did manage to miss a THL (Turn Hard Left) on Day 6 and charged headlong into a fence, breaking 4 or 5 fence posts at the ground level in the process. Lost several minutes getting the bike untangled from that one and put a couple of cracks in the fairing nose cone. No injury or other damage though so pretty lucky.

The bike now has some 60+ hours on it and still sounds, starts and runs great. I did check the valve clearances on Day 3 or 4 and changed one inlet shim, but I think the change was just back to where it was when I first bought the bike. Went up 0.05 as the clearances don't seem to be tightening up and I had it a little on the loose side at 0.15. I must source some of the smaller increment shims to get away from the 0.05 steps from the dealer. Inlet should be 0.10 to 0.12 but this is difficult to achieve with only 0.05 steps! I now have 0.10 on lhs inlet and 0.12 on rhs inlet.

Another bonus was the great fuel consumption I got. I travlled 92km on the 5 litre rear tank on a transport section and could bank on 60km off road. I managed all the selective sections on the 21.5 litre main tank only (250km and 242km were the two longest selectives before refuels) so avoided the need for "Splash and Dash" stops during the timed selectives. (Both of these long selectives had reasonable sand sections and also flat out in top gear runs for several minutes on several occasions). I got 159km/h out of the bike, off road fence line runs, and pretty much sat on 150kp/h for the fast sections, running 14/48 gearing. (The bike is running a little rich throughout the rev range so I'm confident it can do the magic 100mph given better jetting and a tuck behind the fairing).

I would have no qualms at all about taking the bike to a Dakar, although probably with a spare motor for a half way change just in case.

Oh ... and the Renazco seat was pure bliss!!!:clap The grip heaters and fairing were appreciated on the very cold early morning transport on Day 2 also.

Cheers
    JayBo
  6. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:
    I'll vouch for the performace of John's bike! But im gunna have to say that the bike wasn't the key to his final position! The man has the nicest riding style of all the guys that I had the pleasure of watching!

I made a few minutes up on a very tricky bit of nav and managed to (rarely) pass some guys, one of which was John, only to be passed by him 60km's later! But it was worth it to see him go around me on a left hand bend with a nice little rallye style slide!

Good work JayBo1 and a position well deserved!
  7. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    congrats from Denmark.
  8. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers guys.
    Inertia - you weren't too far behind in the overalls at the end of the day so style isn't everything huh! I do remember that sweeping corner that I passed you on with the back nicely angled out and me up on the pegs standing over the front. I love the feeling of riding like that:clap . Interesting to take from the comment you made though how long it takes to make up the time lost in one navigation error. 60km's to catch you up after wasting a few precious getting my directions right again. Congratulations on your top finish too mate!
  9. Redline

Redline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JayBo,
    I can't say this from experience (my 530 won't be here until Wednesday! :evil), but over on paochow.com it's mentioned you can use Harley/Buell shims and they come in smaller increments. Not sure if you have a source for those nearby, but it's worth mentioning.
    http://paochow.com/forum/index.php?topic=40.0

Thanks for taking the time to document everything in this thread, and great job in the Safari! :clap
  10. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks there Redline. I am aware of the Harley/Buell shims and it was those I was obliquely referring to. The story I got was that the guy that joined KTM to design the new RC4 motor used to work at HD or Buell and spec'd the same shim diameters as he was used to working with. For some absurd reason the shim steps available to everyone outside the factory are in 0.05 steps while the factory has access to the smaller increments and hence the reason I found a 2.68 shim in my new motor.
    Cheers
    JayBo
  11. NZdirt

NZdirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey only just saw this thread this morning and I've spent all day reading it end to end. You've put in a really impressive effort on this and it was a great read. So thanks for sharing it all, I'm very, very keen to fly over and see the safari now.
  12. klatelm

klatelm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah me too, reading this all morning. being from L A California the rally doesn't seem so far away. thanks for planting the seed. hope you all have a safe passage
  13. Maynard23

Maynard23 Broken 660 no longer!!!!!

Oddometer:
    Well done JayBo1!!

Your machine preparation was impeccable, and certainly stood you in good stead.
    That bike is a work of art!!!

Cheers, Glenn
  14. stevh0

stevh0 Super Retard.

Oddometer:
    lovely
  15. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    It looks as if ProTect Enduro Concepts is no longer trading? :dunno
    Anyone have any suggestions as to where to get a tall-rise damper mount like this? (or taller)

(I should have pulled the trigger 12 months ago - but ended up going for a knee injury and surgery instead :bluduh)
  16. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    RBott
  17. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
    +1 on RBott's riser / damper mount. Check out the vendor section...
  18. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Cheers. Am in contact. Turns out its trickier than I thought.
  19. geoz

geoz Orange rules

Oddometer:
    I got mine from Shock Treatment who I believe are the Aussie distributors for Scotts. They were great to deal with, knowledgeable, had the part and shipped quickly. I do run the factory triple clamp as well.
  20. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good tips
    Thanks