Rallye bike build - Kiwi Safari Team, Bro 1

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by JayBo1, Mar 10, 2009.

1. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hiya Cummo,
    It's a good mounting system eh! Like you, I liked the option for mount positions but I also really like the fact it uses two bolts each side at each level and the base section is a single piece. Must be good for strength. I had it custom made by Pete at Pro-Tect Enduro Concepts. Check him out at www.ptenduro.com or email him directly at pete@ptenduro.com. He has been great to deal with, sending plans for comment before starting machining. Great quality work. Every thread has been perfect, the pins line up perfectly and the kit comes complete with the bolts.

I have the ProGrip foam grips on. I have thought about getting the softer PHDS inserts. Sounds like you have a few to get rid of:wink: . :lol3

I put .48 springs in the forks and used that setup at the Yilgarn Rallye. I was very, very pleased with the handling. That was with the nav gear and the big tank so I'm set okay for the Safari. The back end I'm still not sure about. I used the standard rear spring for the Yilgarn and it was fine but I didn't have the rear Meca fuel tank on or the water or several other weight bits that I'll have for the Safari. I have now put a 88x250 spring in that I had left over in the shed from my 450EXC, and the static sag is nice at 31mm but I suspect it might be a bit too harsh through the range. I weigh 102kg (225lb?) fully kitted for Rallye. What rear spring are you running?

I'm very happy with the way the bike is coming out. Looking forward to putting it to good use in 3 weeks time!!!:D
    JayBo
  2. Cummo

Cummo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the mount, I will look him up.

I use the .48 springs also, 2.5 /3 turns on three spacers preload with 10mls more oil in each leg. I went up to a 250 - 78 spring in the rear, I weigh 74 kgs so it was plenty for me, i did a lot of work on the sag and found 33.5 was nice and also slowed down the slow speed compression and basically only went a few clicks in on the rebound, allowed the shock to work nicely and not hold compression over whoops. Initially with the Meca tank on the rear I found the rear kicking like my 690 so a little less sag and slow speed compression its very stable right now.

I think I agree with you on the 88 spring, might not let your shock work enough. I am not expert though, just lots of trial and error.....some of it a little more error than I would like ( sternum 0 - shock 1) ! :rofl

What offset did you decide to run on your triples?
  3. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that "Rallye" has a 92x250 in the rear of his 530 (it came stright out of his 690!) but then he's a fair bit bigger and a fair bit faster than I am, but then again that's fitted to his standard trim enduro bike. I need to go a ride on mine which I hope to do next weekend. Still enough time to change a spring easy.

I've set the forks with the 18mm offset. I figured that with the extra weight of the Rallye trim and the front end holding up in the stroke well with the heavier springs the tighter offset will help prevent the front end pushing out through the loose surfaces. I have cut the chain long so the rear axle is well back in the swingarm to help stability.

What final gearing do you run in Rallye trim on the 530? I'm running 14/48 but I hear that the 530's won't pull it in Rallye trim and several riders are running 14/49 or even 14/50. I think in a sandy or desert race I'd probably go with one of those but for firm conditions, as most of the Safari is likely to be, I'm thinking the 14/48 will be more relaxing.
  4. Cummo

Cummo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the spring rates, personal opinion matters a lot and riding style differ.

In the last UAE Rally I rode day 1 on 15 x 48, it would not pull on the sand in top and I rode in 5th most of the time in sand. But on the hard pack it will pull it and would top out at around 160, I did punish the bike though as I held it flat out in those section ( 5th on the day, against the 690RR's). I then changed down to 14 x 48 on day 2, it was fine for me, maybe still a little tall but nice in second in the dunes. You could just leave it in gear and let it pull. From then on in it went south with the engine digesting a crank bearing retaining plate bolt and my collarbone separating so did not have any time to test other setups.

I have ordered a set of 17.5mm offsets to give me some more stability when I hold it flat out, the 20's move around too much and are tiring.
  5. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:
    Jaybo1, Any reaosn you don't go to a 15/52? About equal to a 14/49 if i am correct? This is what I am running on the 450 and after a quick ride on the weekend i am happy as this can cruise quiet nicely in 6th at 110.
  6. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you not using a clutch saver then? I didn't think you could get a 15T countershaft sprocket on with the hydraulic clutch saver bolted on. I would rather forego ideal gearing for the sake of not losing my clutch due to an errant stone.
  7. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:
    Nah, i dont have the clutch saver. Could you not machine the saver down a bit to get it on? I have yet to see a clutch saver fitted to a bike! Got a pic of yours?
  8. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The orange part is the clutch saver. I've used them on my last two KTMs. I have heard of, but not seen myself, the damage that can be caused by a rock getting caught up between the chain and sprocket. On most bikes you don't even know it's happened as there's no impact but on the KTMs with the hydraulic clutch being right in front of the sprocket the slave cylinder gets wiped out, often causing crankcase damage. The chain already grinds into the alloy without it being a 15T sprocket.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
  9. topo

topo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MMMMMMMM orange:evil

[​IMG]
  10. cooneyr

cooneyr terra firma rider

Oddometer:
    You fellas gonna sell some as a team fundraiser? I'll have an XL/44 please (especially since I've had my injection of orange blood) :D
  11. El Scooto

El Scooto mmmmm MUD!!

Oddometer:
    Traitor!!!!

Chur
  12. cooneyr

cooneyr terra firma rider

Oddometer:
    Hey I've still got a blue one in the shed - for now. Besides I know you want an orange one.
  13. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking great:clap
    Just wait till next year! I wonder how many more people will want to get involved or enter and and ride the Safari?

Or maybe ... KiwiDakarTeam???:lol3
  14. topo

topo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

KiwiDakarTeam..... I like the way that sounds:freaky
  15. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Ummmmm, do you need a visor cleaner/support wagon driver :evil
  16. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    you clean the left side of the visors and I'll clean the right hand side
  17. tprtel

tprtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know our phone numbers if that is going to happen.
  18. pampaX

pampaX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For team kiwi dakar, you may need someone that speaks spanish ... (I do) ... actually if you observed the Dakar this year went to a place which maatches my nickname :evil
  19. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Argie?
    Is that you?
  20. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Enough said?
    No?
    You want more?