Rallye bike build - Kiwi Safari Team, Bro 1

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by JayBo1, Mar 10, 2009.

1. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    That sweet looks sweeeet. :jkam
  2. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    And on the bike ? :dunno
    :evil
  3. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I have to wait, so do you!!
    The photo's were sent to me by the guys at Renazco with an email to let me know it's on it's way. How's that for service!!!:clap Should be here early next week so I'll get some photo's of it on the 530 next weekend for you.
  4. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    whats the cover made from jaybo1.
  5. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The material for the cover is Suede. The below is straight from the Renazco web-site FAQ page but otherwise for more information and photo's check out the site at:
    http://www.renazco.com/

Why suede?

Suede is an excellent material for off-road use and is extensively used by Rally competition riders worldwide. It's natural breathing ability along with the leather like feel makes this material a great choice for comfort. It's predictable manners allows the rider to be able to control the motorcycle better while standing on the pegs, unlike synthetics which can be unpredictable and allow the rider to slide around to much when trying to control the bike with your legs.

How does suede hold up to the elements?

Suede is a natural material that will absorb moisture and may be a concern for those who ride in the rain. I would recommend vinyl over suede if you're concerned about this. However I line all my suede seats with 3mm of a closed cell foam rubber to prevent water penetration into the foam. Most suede purchasing customers are more concerned with the performance and comfort of the material. UV protection is another concern; suede will more than likely fade with sun exposure. Some have been succesfull using chemicals to treat the suede, proper care equivelent to that of leather will always extend the life.

What material and color options do I have?

Only the best materials available are used which means a considerable amount of time is spent in selecting what will work best for motorcycle application. We select material which best fit motorcycle decor versus an auto upholstery which belongs in cars. We usally have the most popular colors to match production bikes. We have a variety of choices that include different textures including vinyl, suede and leathers, and we usually have just about every color and grain possible to match your bike.
  6. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, maybe not a very practical option for the dr650 but would be nice for the wr.
  7. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do you say that? Most guys use them for adventure touring - very popular and appreciated modification to 640 Adventures. (Not that I'm saying that a DR650 is equivalent to a 640Adv of course:lol3 ). I would actually say it's more practical for the DR650 than the WR, unless you use the WR for long rides and use the DR for the short and tighter rides. Standard enduro bikes seats are fine for standard enduro riding, it's only when you want to take your enduro bike touring or Rallyeing that you have problems.
  8. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I would :D
  9. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now come on lets not start a suzuki ktm slanging match, we all know that the suzuki's would win.

I would love to put a swade seat on the dr but I was thinking because the swade is not water proof and fades in the sun that it might not be sutiable for long rides where the bike is out in the elements for a long time.
    But I see on there web site that there seats are mostly fitted to adventure bikes instead so they most be ok.

Please ignore my idiotic rabalings and carry on.
  10. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rushed home from work (read: managed to get away from the office only a couple of hours late:cry ) because my wife picked up a package for me at the Postshop.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The contents of the box. (The black "thing" in front is the original seat cover from the doner seat).
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Revealed!!:clap
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I must say, the look and feel is even better than I expected. Absolutely everything is top notch. All the stitching is true and parallel, the suede is beautiful, the shape looks very promising for a comfortable ride. Day 1 of the Safari is some 575km so I'll confirm that pretty soon!)

Anyway, I'll head out to the shed and try it on the bike and get a photo to tide us over untill I get the chance in some natural light to get a photo in the weekend.
    EDIT: Late night photo in the shed:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Ciao
    JayBo
  11. tprtel

tprtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woot woot! Very sexy, John! :clap
  12. Indo2002

Indo2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks the go John, it'll probably fit quite well on my bike :rofl

Bro2 and I have also invested wisely to maintain our seating comfort - check out our solution here - http://www.antimonkeybutt.com

Cheers
  13. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, what you two get up to with your butts is your business ... as long as you don't expect me to apply the AMBP for you!:lol3
    (I use Rectinol cream myself:wink: - it has nice anaesthetic quality to it)
  14. tprtel

tprtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as you dont expect me to apply it to you.

Lisi
  15. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah. I see. Like that is it Lisi?
    WANTED:
    Urgently required. Support Crew for 2009 Australasian Safari. Must be prepared to fulfill all Support Crew duties, not just pick the good bits.:rofl
  16. tprtel

tprtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont want Gael to get jealous.
    Or is it, what goes on safari, stays on safari :wink:

:rofl :freaky :rofl

see you tomorrow afternoon???
  17. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha. Yeh, I'll see you tomorrow afternoon. I have to report there at 11am to get in but I'll probably stick around for the afternoon.

The bike's looking good now.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The Renazco seat looks positively "puffy" on there compared to the standard KTM plank. They tell me it'll bed in a little.
    The "Australasian Safari" stickers are just a mock-up photocopied and sellotaped in place so I could work out how I am going to cut the genuine ones to fit the bodywork nicely and so I could locate my sponsor stickers clear of the compulsary event ones.
  18. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Im very suprised at how the bike turned out. When I think of a rallye bike I usually think of a "larger than normal dirtbike" but your bike still has a very slim look to it and you dont really notice the larger bits. The front gas tank doesnt make the bike seem huge and the fairing does the same. Compared to your 640adventure from last year this think is tiny.

Good luck!
  19. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    What weight is it at the mo? Got mouses,mices,mooses tyre things yet?
  20. cooneyr

cooneyr terra firma rider

Oddometer:
    Awesome looking bike Jaybo1. I understand some of the shaky isle base brothers are on there way to big red today. Time for some serious team talking - "right when I come into camp each night I'll drop me dac's and you better have the Rectinol ready" :kat

What goes on tour stays on tour aye :evil
    :hide

Cheers R