Rallye Breslau 2019

Discussion in 'Racing' started by choutos, Jan 25, 2019.

1. choutos

choutos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The decision is made, in July 2019 I will be in Poland trying to finish the Breslau Rally.
    After a lot of thought and several attempts with other rallies in Europe, this was the most sensible decision as the logistics are far simpler for me.

Still some (a lot, actually) things to prepare but I will see you there :).

Anyone interested in joining for this "adventure"?
    Tipmethewink and StanBo like this.
  2. 515

515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The breslau is a favorite of mine. Please keep us updated
  3. choutos

choutos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've already started with the training, I need to replace some fat by muscle and increase my stamina. I am taking it easy, doing something every day and trying to minimize the "zero days". Not easy with work, studies, family...

The bike is another story, it is in the workshop for almost two months already and still waiting. I am importing it in Austria but it is taking soooo long.
    The most difficult part is to find a solution to increase the fuel range, the stock one is only 7l. I couldn't find an aftermarket tank for the AJP PR5, maybe I can fit one designed for other bike (probably but I don't have them here to test) or a generic one for enduro bikes. My best option seems to be this "Plug 'n Play Rally Tank" from Behego, I contacted them but no answer so far. If you have any suggestion please drop a message :).

In the meantime I am buying stuff I will need like parts and tools, arranging all the logistics to get there and planning to participate in some short events (like one or two days rallies) with the Ténéré. So yes, actually I have two bikes to prepare! But the changes in the Yamaha will be minimum.
  4. 515

515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you are competing on the AJP PR5
    I am interested to see the bike build
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  5. choutos

choutos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, no. I am riding a PR5, competing is for those who know how to do it. :lol3
    Myway likes this.
  6. choutos

choutos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only 12 days to the start line. Tons of things still to be done.

✅ Just get the green card for bike and van. So all paperwork done and ready.
    ☐ Pending of making copies of everything.
    ✅ Mousses installed yesterday, with a nice warning from the shop guys "do you know you can't ride legally on the streets with that?" :).
    ✅ GPS unit arrived (Garmin etrex 30x) at home but
    ☐ still waiting for the mount to install on the bike.
    ✅ Mirror removed and all controls placed on the handlebar.
    ✅ New 16l backpack + 3l water bladder.
    ☐ Check all the wiring.
    ☐ Install waterproof electric connectors and switch for navigation equipment.
    ☐ Prepare electric installation for Rally Safety System.
    ☐ Install smaller license plate.
    ☐ Remove blinkers.
    ☐ Fill up the tank.
    ☐ Plan and arrange food and water.
    ☐ Decide what to include in the tool roll.
    ☐ And clothes.
    ☐ First aid kit + misc medication + supplements.
    ☐ Remove back seats to make room for everything.
    ☐ Pack and fit everything in the van.
    ☐ ...
  7. choutos

choutos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    6 Days to go, 9 to the start line

[​IMG]

I never would have thought that so many things need to be considered for a project like this. It is not only the bike and physical preparation, but all the arrangements and small things that keep your mind busy: how to get to Poland, paperwork, food and water, camping gear, tools, clothes, etc.

Rally build
    Perhaps call it "build" is too ambitious, as I only made some minor changes to the bike:
    • Navigation equipment mounted on handlebar clamps.
    • Michelin Bib Mousse. Not only one thing less to worry about (punctures), but less tools to carry with me.
    • Replaced the stock light with a brighter led bulb (direct replacement).
    • Extra lights with its own battery. It will be used only for the night stage.
    • Exhaust protector. I am not completely sure it is needed, but it was cheap so I decided to install it.
    • And the normal maintenance: Chain and sprockets, oil, filters, etc.
    Finally I discarded the idea of installing an auxiliary tank to extend autonomy and decided to go with the stock 7.6L one. Mainly because they are stupidly expensive. The minimum autonomy for the Breslau Rally is 130Km (+10% recommended), so it is going to be tight... I hope I won't get lost too often :).

[​IMG]

Logistics
    The main reason to decided for Breslau over other rallies was simply that it is easier and cheaper for me to get there. No ferries, no issues with the insurance and doable in one (long) journey. Also, we now own a small van and the bike just fits inside! I don't even need a trailer :).

The downside is that I need to either leave the motorbike outside to have room for my wonderful camp bed, or sleep in the camping tent.

Financial
    Probably the hardest and most unexpected part of this adventure. My initial budget was way too optimist leaving out a lot of stuff I hadn't even thought of.
    There are the obvious costs: registration fee, refreshing the bike, parts, tools, petrol and -being this my first "serious" race- the investment in good navigation instruments. And then all the hidden or unplanned expenses: camping gear, nutrition and hydration, insurance, mandatory GPS, extra lights for the night stage, new protections and equipment...
    A small fortune.

Now I understand why people try to get sponsors, even small help from local businesses is a relieve for amateurs riders.
    Bonnie & Clyde and Square1 like this.