Rallye Saguenay- Rallymoto comes to Canada!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Stagehand, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thats right you heard right!

The fun that has been Sandblast for nearly ten years, and Black River, and West Virginia when we can, and the inimitable Magnum Opus! is coming to Quebec!

The first time Rallymoto was held in the US, it was in 2007 at the Sandbast Rally, an event I was also fortunate enough to attend. Now the Canadian equivalent of NASA (National Auto Sports Association) "CARS" is hosting motorcycles alongside the traditional automobiles.

Which is awesome news for the Canoodians who rally, , especially, not to mention the rest of us. Im looking at you country boy. And Stepan. And Devon.

ANd dammit Deadly this could be you :D

[​IMG]

But IM going up this weekend to see what I can make happen on the awesome gravel stages of the Ferland-Boileau forest. THe Youtube of it looks like its a Rip.

6 motos on the entry list right now,

http://www.couperallye.com/images/2015/SAG/Rallye-SAG-2015-15-06-05-v1.pdf

I finished changing tires, today, and everything else seems to be running, so I think I am just baout ready, apart from the normal details.

[​IMG]

Its gonna be a great time, I speak French like a 3 year old. I know no one except a friendly co-driver in one of the car teams. (Hi Aaron!) And I am looking forward to doing my part to make sure Rallymoto is a success in Quebec.
  2. Leget

Leget Rally Tractor Pilot

Oddometer:
    That is great news, I spoke briefly with the guy from CARS that was at the Sandblast Rally checking things over.
    We must have had a positive impact and he really got this together quickly.

Good to hear, good luck at the Rally, have fun and be safe!

We'll be waiting for a ride/race report.....:ear
  3. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    Good Luck!

Looking forward to hearing about it. Would love to be able to get up there sometime, but probably not going to happen.
  4. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Tires changed and holding air.

Throttle cam greased.

Gas tank compartment kinda fuct, so we'll tape it shut

Broken mirror fixed.

All Gopro stuff accounted for, and in the greater Camera bag.

Have first aid kit, red cross/ok, triangle, water bladders.

Trailer lights working, finally (I swear to god Im gonna kill those lights, or they're gonna kill me.)

Moto gear packed, no civilian jambes, yet :D

All the paperwork I can find is printed out.. hopefully they'll get me a competition license when i get up there.. the Org said "Just bring your paperwork" but #24 in the supp regs says licenses wont be given out at the events, they have to be dealth with before, via the mail :uhuh so we'll see how that goes

Have Passport, ID, credit cards, couple bottle of vin for the samedi souper, "Apportez vous votre vin" have canadian insurance carnet for the moto, have the international phone Data plan active, have the updated insurance and registration shite for the bike, car AND trailer...

Otherwise, it looks like I'll put the kid on the bus in the morning, and take off pretty much right after that, and get up to Saguenay hopefully 10-11 hours later.
  5. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    not that this is in my back yard but a least my country. I have all my eggs in the Baja rally for this year and can not afford any other rally motos. It was on my radar for some time but with all the extra rally gear needed the budget is gone. Just going to do some cheap local events.
    Good luck and throttle on good sir. :clap
  6. sidewayz_control

sidewayz_control Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to meeting you Adam,

I will also be competing at the event, the little devil whispering "Do it!" :evil in my right ear won over the little angel whispering "Don't, that's crazy" in the left ear. :lobby

We're all counting on you to show us how it's done :deal

Cheers!

Ivan
  7. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Great to meet you, Ivan! How the heck can I show you how it's done from behind you?

It sure is nice up here :) can't post pics from my phone, but j'aime ici Beaucoup et Merci pour l'anglais mais je voudrais apprendre le Francais eventuellment ��

This is going to be fun as hell but honestly the moose and bear encounters are what scare me the most. Here's to a safe finish!
  8. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Understood- I know how a trip to Mexico can sap resources. Hopefully this will be something doable in the future.

If I have any gear you need to do Baja let me know. I'd gladly loan it if I have it to do so
  9. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Awesome! The things we don't do are more often regretted. ;)

Anders
  10. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    WEll, Ca C'est une tres bonne course :D

I love Canada! :freaky

Fan Video from Spectateur zone:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ql4QU8M8boY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I met no other moose, or crazy wild animals.

Just got back home, it was a good weekend. I got Lantern Rouge again, but I finished, so it was a Success@!

The other competitors were great guys: Martin, Hugo, Ivan, Jean-Marc, and Don. Strong competition!

Hugo (#3, Husky 501) said he'd been riding since he was 5 and had never gone so faast on a motorbike.

haha, just found this:
    <div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/couperallye/videos/850442101670244/" data-width="500"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="https://www.facebook.com/couperallye/videos/850442101670244/"><p>Rally Saguenay 2015</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/couperallye">Championnat de Rallye du Québec</a> on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/couperallye/videos/850442101670244/">Sunday, June 14, 2015</a></blockquote></div></div>
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet.

I asked our local rally club about allowing bikes in, but they said it was too much hard work and too much paperwork....:ddog

Do you have any more vids? :evil
  13. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Ride report will come in stages, I will try to get down what I can now but..

Anyway I drove up to Saguenay on Thursday and got in late, got up on Friday and went down to the Ferland Boilleau forest about 22K's outside of La Baie and caught up with teh service and HQ.

[​IMG]

Got checked in and got my boots on for a little Recce. Canada is AWEsome. Quebec is FFFFFFFF brilliant

[​IMG]

First stage is 22k's, and the start is only 2K's from service. . THere is a 1K neutral at the end of 1 and then a 12K stage 2. THen a turn around, and reverse, for 4 stages. Then after service we repeat for a total of 8 stages, total of 136 competitive Ks. Or something close to that. Easy Day :D

While I am going for a little ride on the stage mes amies arrive, and set up

[​IMG]

There is Panta and 91 available onsite, which is a nice feature. Panta is suppoed to be either 94 or 106 or something. I dont think my bike can handle it :D

[​IMG]

One of the competitors is MArtin Horik who stars in a TV show called Octane in which he rides all kinds of crazy motorsports. He has chosen a 690.

Hugo and Jean Marc are two more competitors, Jean Marc used to rally cars a while ago, and Hugo has a lot of experience in the moto industry. Don Provonost is in business for himself with a motoriding school, and Ivan rounds off our list of 6 riders, himself a transplant from the car side of Rally, having recently crewed for one of the car teams.

[​IMG]

It hard ot believe, but Friday, I go far a ride, and afterwards, I have nothing to do. I end up going back to the hotel doing some shopping, and then going back to the HQ for tech inspection and riders meeting around 7. Turns out its no big deal, there arent any rules yet, theyre kind of running by the seat of pants, but everythign works, so we're a go. I treat myself to a crazy expensive french meal at l'hotel. In the morning, we do a convoy reconnaisance of the whole route, and then run the whole thing back and forth twice again.
  14. Hypermofo

Hypermofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up Jason - looks like a great time. I envey your ability to just up and do these things :norton:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I usually know a few months in advance if Im going to be able to do one, or not..I usually have to know just to make sure there's kid coverage and its fits in with the whole Plan and whatnot, you know.. But I like participating, thats for sure. Can usually fit maybe 1 big one year, maybe 2-3 smaller ones.
  16. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Too much paperwork I can understand, underwriter wise but logistically its no different than expaning the field to more "teams" and adding a combo car to go between the two classes.

I got helmet cam of all the stages I did, plus a little extra. ALso, will try to post the FB vids I can find :D

Cheers mate

[​IMG]
  17. Anders Green

Oddometer:
    Well, they're right... if they're "just car guys". It was a lot of work for SAG to get this done... negotiating with multiple sanctioning bodies, getting them to work together, doing the groundbreaking on how and what, legality and insurance issues, international travel to come observe Sandblast to research it first hand.... I would guess 150 man-hours minimum was put forward to make it happen.

Jason is correct that the operational side is not the hard part:
    http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/how_do_you_add_rallymoto_to_a_rally

Glad it came off! What an interesting milestone for Canadian rally!!! :clap:freaky:clap:freaky:clap

Anders
  18. Anders Green

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a fantastic bunch of guys for the first Canadian RallyMoto ever! :D

Anders
  19. sidewayz_control

Oddometer:
    It was a hell of a lot of work, I helped in the beginning of the process since I was the regions rally director for CARS (Canadian Association of Rally Sports) Since the whole process started over a year ago. I ended my mandate on the last day of 2014. Bringing the bikes to events that were exclusive to cars for over 50 years is not easy.

Absolutely a fantastic bunch, perfect for the first event, to show that rally-moto can work in Canada. Even having a rider that crashes and DNF's.

I'll use that as my excuse, we had to test the system and prove that an off could be handled with brio ;)

Ivan
  20. sidewayz_control

Oddometer:
    As stated in the previous post, I had an off, crash, cartwheel whatever term you would like to use.

Beginner mistake? you could say that, c'est la vie... You don't go to these events thinking that it possibly can't happen, not on your 1st event not on your 100th event.

Went wide coming over a crest/jump brushing the vegetation on the side of the road and one small branch or tree hooked my handguard and sent me into a cartwheel. Picked up the bike, removed remaining of branch/tree (it was aprox. 5/8" diameter) stuck in handlebar, did a quick damage assessment pushed the cracked but still in one piece fairing (hurrah for composites) back into it's approximate proper location, permanently ripped off the flasher that was already holding on with ductape, broken plastic exhaust tip on the Leo Vince and and a few more scratchs. Looks good enough lets go.

Get moving, funny noise... Oh no the front wheel is wobbling. I suspect that the bike landed on the front wheel because the wheel bent to the point it was rubbing against the fork. Even the hub was bent where the spokes are mounted. Damn, I stop 200 meters down the road at a spectator point and hand in my time card to the sweep.

Now I don't know what is worse crashing and waiting all by yourself in the woods until sweep comes to pick you up or what happened to me, crashing and then joining a bunch of spectators for the rest of the day.:freaky :slurp

But what a blast! It was awesome and I'll do it again for sure, minus the crash and unplanned partying. They had everything, bonfire, music seating mounted on a platform truck and lots of drinks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ivan