Rambling stream of consciousness: Bonneville suspension and cooling

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by JustKip, May 13, 2020.

1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Kip, Have you made any decisions how to proceed ?
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I already had a pair of Scrambler rear shocks, and I'm going to use those, initially, to set the height of the rear before deciding on which rear shocks to buy. I've ordered and received the 36mm longer fork tubes, but then discovered that I seem to have lost my fork seal driver. Ordered a new driver, and should have it in a couple of days. The plan is to re-mount the tub, rather than run the suspension height adjustment all the way op to keep it level. But temps here will be 104-108 for the next few days, and I don't have AC in the garage. I'll do what I can early in the mornings, and it'll take a few days. Pics to follow.
    Bobmws and davebig like this.
  3. davebig

Oddometer:
  4. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bloody hell!

Need a longer front brake line. Figures
    DRONE likes this.
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    At least you'll be able to route the line EXACTLY how you want it. Then every time you look at that line you can say "Perfect!" and feel a little joy.
    Jimr80gs and Bobmws like this.
  6. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got it back together with the stock Scrambler shocks. Immediately decided to order the Hyperpro shocks! They're still 10 days away, but it's getting close and I'm getting excited! This is going to be a whole new ballgame!

Now I need to deal with engine/exhaust heat. The aftermarket 2-into-1 runs between the engine and oil cooler, whereas the OEM each went away from the cooler. With the airbox mod and high flow filter and EFI tune, it runs hotter than stock, and that heat is carried close to the engine and cooler, making it even hotter. I've just ordered the "SAI" (secondary air injection) removal kit, and that should cool the exhaust a bit and help with scavenging. But I'm also thinking of wrapping the headers where they're near the engine and oil cooler. I've never been a fan of wrapping, but if I can reduce low speed heat...if wrapping fails, I'll have to move the oil cooler, or switch to aftermarket. Harley XR1200 oil cooler is fan cooled and mounts to the left down tube, and if I'm going to need custom hoses anyway...
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gold heat reflective tape on a heat shield with a small air gap between the heat source and what you are trying to protect has proven very effective on off road race cars I've worked on.
    davebig, Bobmws, brstar and 1 other person like this.
  8. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    Are you positive it's getting enough fuel?

Do you get de-cel popping?
  9. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure. I get a little popping with the baffle removed, but not really with it in. When I bought the fuel program and air filter mods from Triumph Twin Power(4 years ago), their website recommended the SAI removal kit to reduce popping and heat, and improve scavenging. I just ordered that today. It doesn't actually get Hot, but I'm getting it ready for long, low speed days on the BDRs, and want it running cooler since I won't have as much wind cooling at 15 mph all day.
    brstar likes this.
  10. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was looking at a couple of heat shield options, but the left side header passes between the engine and oil cooler, with less than an inch clearance either way. That's why I was thinking to wrap that part, to carry the heat out from between. They also claim it improves scavenging, so there's less heat retained in the heads to begin with. But it's also not good to wrap pipes that are already running lean and hot, so I have to wait till the SAI removal kit gets here from the UK.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m personally not a fan of heat wrap. I think heat wrap is only a band-aid, not a long lasting “professional” solution. Speedway Motors has a heat shield product that uses an air gap between the source and what you are trying to protect.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/DEi-...st-Pipe-Heat-Shield-6-Inch-x-1-Ft-,80702.html
    Bobmws, Flyin' Monkeys and JustKip like this.
  12. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is perfect. Thanks!
    Heading out to the garage to measure what size I need.
    Flyin' Monkeys and Strong Bad like this.
  13. davebig

Oddometer:
    There's always ceramic coating but I'm starting to like Strong Bad's ideas better all the time. The Remus setup I got for the Red K11 is one of the last they built but I ceramic coated the header :fpalm probably a mistake the muffler has 3 chambers, its a TUV EU friendly one, my kingdom for a straight thru with the correct opening size. Pull off the hwy grab the infrared thermometer surface of headers pretty much 350-500 degrees the muffler 350-400 that baffling must hold the heat in, the Jet Hot was overkill, it cools quickly but I may take the header off and sand blast off the Jet Hot :hmmmmm
  14. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thing sure is different being 1-1/2 inch higher! I didn't measure toe-in or lean out before getting started, so I don't know what's different, other than height, of course. Still haven't received the real shocks or air injection removal kit, but it's no less roadworthy than before, and I'm liking the view from up here!
    brstar likes this.
  15. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now...6-1/2 inches of ground clearance, instead of the previous 5 inches. Love how it handles now. The low speed wobble is pretty much a memory now. Proud of myself, hitting it on the first shot :super

103809477_10223286618504280_8706069171297566044_o (2).jpg

Went for a 200 mile drive today, 100 each way (aprox) from Fresnope to the dealer in Modesto, to get the valves adjusted. Thinkin I'll do it myself next time. Didn't realize it would take so long!
  16. davebig

Oddometer:
    Looks good ! :clap
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  17. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure is nice seeing updated pics of that rig Kip. I bet those suspension upgrades make all the difference!
    JustKip likes this.
  18. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Roger!
    I can't tell ya about the Hyperpro shocks yet. Last I heard, on tues, they were being built in Thailand. I should be getting them toward the end of next week.
    I had picked up a set of take-off Scrambler shocks years ago, and finally got around to installing them, and longer fork tubes. I've got the geometry dialed in, but the cheap ass OEM shocks are anything but plush!
    Bobmws, FLYING EYEBALL and fastring like this.
  19. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Nice job on that!
  20. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update!
    STILL don't have the shocks, and don't know when I will. I emailed EPM in NJ first thing tuesday morning, and he got right back to me saying he'd let me know as soon as he gets a response from the factory. Initially they said it would be about a week lead time, then they's ship them to me. That was 20 days ago.

I DID receive the Secondary Air Injection removal bits, and installed (and removed) that last night. Today I took a 50 mile freeway ride, to see if it made a difference in engine heat. My miles were about 40 miles of freeway flogging at 80-85 (I guess. No speedo) where traffic allowed, and it seemed to pull better at passing.everybody.on.the.freeway speed. Once it was warmed up I did another 10 miles of surface streets in stop and go traffic up to 40 mph. The heat that was coming off the clutch cover is much better than before, and there's very little popping on decel (with the baffle out. there already wasn't with it in). I'm very pleased with the results, and have no intention of using a wrap or shield on the header pipes.

My new speedometer cable should arrive tomorrow, so I'll be able to estimate my speed based on the fact that it reads 12% optimistic.

I ordered a rear brake relocation bracket, which moves the caliper to the top of the swingarm from the bottom. I won't get that for another week, and since the rear pads are coming with that, I kinda don't have rear brakes till I receive that package. Once I get the rear caliper relocated I can take measurements for the sidecar brake line, and Finally get the parts from @jaydmc to do the sidecar brake.
    I had really wanted a separate pedal for the sidecar brake, but I guess that's not available, and I'm way too lazy to make it happen myself.