random road king thoughts

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by sshbsn, May 30, 2019.

1. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    heres a place for those of us who own road kings to document daily life with them, for the benefit of those who are currently without a road king of their own...

im taking another cross country trip soon. my bike, with 95” kit/cams/full exhaust, has fuel economy that could leave me paying a carbon tax in the future.

so i just ordered the coolest thing, a 1 gallon, wedge shaped fuel jug that fits right into the back angled section of my saddlebag. its marketed as liquid and vapor tight, and sits nicely out of the way.

best part: i can go another 31 miles before pushing the king to the nearest pump!
  2. Socalstrom

Socalstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A8480A0E-9268-4B86-8504-5309B94B31DE.jpeg
    I almost had to push this thing coming home from Sedona on the 10...
  3. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    those are actually kind of nice assuming you don't need the space in the saddlebag. The newer bikes go from 5 to 6 gallons which helps, the M8's also seem to be a bit more efficient too. With my TC I would be looking for gas at about 150 miles, on the M8 200+ seems safe so I don't carry extra fuel anymore.
    Trackjunkie21 likes this.
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I just picked mine up a couple weeks ago, have not had a chance to put a few tanks thru it and see what kind of range it has....and I doubt I can put much faith in the gas gauge :D

It's a 2000 with 21,500 miles - a couple thousand miles ago the previous owner had a 95" kit put in, using a fairly mild Fueling 525 gear drive cam with the S&S gear driven cam kit, and some head work.
    Dynojet Thunderslide, K&N filter - it's a runner, but I'm not sure it's got 200 miles range on it's 5 gallon tank. Will know soon.
  5. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That mileage seems a little low to me. I easily get 200+ on my twin cam.
  6. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that would be safe range, independent of speed, headwinds, luggage etc. It's a heavy mother to push and out west, gas stations aren't necessarily every 20-30 miles down the road. I typically do better but in certain situations it pays to be conservative I've found.
    1646ABC0-3F49-4103-8302-2AF2BEE2D02B.jpeg
    Trippps, bike41, phughes and 5 others like this.
  7. Five of Clubs

Five of Clubs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My twin cam 88 Dyna gets over 50 miles to the gallon! It's all stock except exhaust though, and my riding is 45-55mph two lane roads with no interstate.
    BadKarma and Trackjunkie21 like this.
  8. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my stock TC super glide got over 50 mpg also. the road king is ridden faster though! for example, lets talk about:

“chicken strips”: the area at the edges of a motorcycle tire that have no wear.

those of us who own road kings know they are trustworthy and capable in curves. many times ive admired a sportbike, then noticed its rider has never used the last 1” or more of tread. just unwilling to lean it over that far i guess. but RKs instill a ton of confidence once you get familiar with them. heres the chicken strip of a typical and average RK rider (myself):

FD09E891-CD58-4155-A729-FB54CCE28850.jpeg

this is about what can be relied on for lean angle on an unlowered RK. im sure theres many techniques for taking advantage of the surprising handling abilities of these bikes. i ride mine like a dirt bike in curves—elbows out, weight on the front, and power through.

its one of the many reasons that RKs are nearly ideal all-around bikes!
    Amphib, Trackjunkie21 and Blue Scoot like this.
  9. Blue Scoot

Blue Scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this thread takes off. Unfortunately I am without a Road King but I think it will be my next bike.

Remember to post lots of pics, thanks!
  10. Five of Clubs

Five of Clubs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @sshbsn Here are my chicken strips. At this angle of lean, the right footpeg mount is showering sparks. Slightly before this lean angle, the right footpeg starts losing chrome! The suspension is at stock height on both ends.

20190531_115220.jpg
    Trippps likes this.
  11. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling that a Road King will be my next as well.
  12. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Why's your gas mileage so bad? Anybody screwed with the carb lately?
  13. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    Commuting I regularly get in the mid-30s for mileage. On long trips I’m well into the 40s. I’ve yet to see 50MPG on the Road King.

(2014 103” twin cam)
    Socalstrom likes this.
  14. Socalstrom

Socalstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2017 M8 gets widely varied mpgs. No wind, hot weather, back roads at 55-65 mph I’m in the low 40s. Freeway at 80 mags, wind, cold weather, can be low 30s. I also think it sometimes gets air pockets in the tank when I’m filling up and don’t get at 6 gallons in there and effects the range. The range readout on the dash is pretty accurate. Once it goes to zero you will be pushing shortly.
  15. IMAWILDPARTY

IMAWILDPARTY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can go about 420 km (260 Miles) on a tank, almost all highway between 110-120 kph (~70-75 mph), never ran out of gas.
    08 RG, 96'', Mostly stock, nothing for performance. Aftermarket mufflers.

Never thought about bringing extra gas for the Harley.

What kind of power are you making with all that extra fuel you're burning?
  16. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    massive fuel injected power (sorry mattbastard no carby on my RK). usually i average 31.x mpg, sometimes up to 33.x if its a more relaxed ride. the ducati that came along on our latest lap of lake O almost dropped me under 30, but if i want to give up joy i can get a touch over 40.

now somebody save this from becoming a dull fuel economy thread
  17. IMAWILDPARTY

IMAWILDPARTY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make it a fun fuel economy thread.

Nerd Party.jpg
  18. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    favorite farkle: RK Special dash insert
    next favorite farkle: Marlin fork lock key cover thermometer
    FD9103A3-304B-43A1-8C96-A4D92A406475.jpeg
    MaddBrit and rauchman like this.
  19. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here in southwest florida its hot. i mean HOT. looks like a rough summer ahead.

DCC2AF82-A70E-4F11-99DC-F5789FA01B5D.jpeg

so how is it to ride an ‘03 road king in this kind of heat and humidity, compared to other bikes?

big engines put out big heat, theres no arguing that. but the RK isnt as bad as some others ive owned—ESPECIALLY liquid cooled bikes whose radiator fans cook riders alive in slow traffic.

google “convection oven” for a good understanding of this!

my daytona 955 was hot, and sadly my beloved (and air cooled) xb12r was brutal once the fan for the rear cylinder kicked in. the RK is a lot better than i expected in this regard. its hotter than the carb’d sportster roadster i had, but for some reason its not as hot as my old FI super glide. on the RK, sitting in traffic with the air temp in the mid 90s doesnt bother me or the bike. theres a little engine heat, but not uncomfortable.

after escaping to the countryside, heat from the bike is no longer an issue. its much cooler than riding behind a full fairing, and the windshield pops right off if i dont want any air blocked at all. of course, with summer storms beginning theres no way im leaving the windshield behind!

hope this was helpful, TCs have a little bit of a rep for heat...
    Evoraptor likes this.
  20. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode a TC thru the Nevada desert, I rode an ST1300 thru the Nevada desert, the TC was MUCH cooler. That said, the M8 is notably cooler than the TC. I'm sure they changed a variety of things but I've got to believe the addition of an oil cooler helps on that.