random road king thoughts

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by sshbsn, May 30, 2019.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Same gal for 19 years, since we were 17 and 18 yrs old. Prom date, etc.

bikes…… there’s just too many fun things to try. That said, the one thing I keep saying about the EGS, is “why didn’t I try one of these sooner”. I’m a big dude, and this bike just fits me, handles my size, weight, and is infinitely adaptable to suit my needs. I hope to put many many miles on it. I think a good compliment to this bike, would be a supermoto type bike, so, maybe in a little while I’ll re-add one of those to my garage, the one bike I miss is my former dr650
    2810EA56-FDBA-441A-B884-4F1BC8FF6473.jpeg
  2. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the EGS have 18/18 wheels like a Road King or the 16/17 like the Ultra?
    Traxx likes this.
  3. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember all of those metallic teal, green, and blue American cars of the early 90's? Nobody would dream of painting a vehicle those colors right now, but those colors were everywhere back then. The various greys, tans, and beiges will be the same way in another decade.

Personally, I'm game for just about anything except black. After a couple black cars, a black truck, and a couple black bikes, I'm tired of seeing evey speck of dust that lands on the paint. They're beautiful when they're clean, but that only lasts an hour or two, at best.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since we're whipping them out...My 1971 SL125 that I've owned since new. Lost track of how many people I've taught to ride a motorcycle on this thing. Just taught my son's friend last year...he had a blast. Still starts first kick.

sl125.JPG
    SL Sam.jpg
  5. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    my EGS has 16/17 wheels, which is one of the reasons why i bought the EGS over the road king. that and i didnt want all the chrome that comes standard on the RK. i like the polished aluminum of the EGS.
    Oilhed and Traxx like this.
  6. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    When did the RK change from 16/17 to 18/18 wheels?

My 2016 is 16/17.
    Traxx likes this.
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Police Road King with 16/17 but the standard is 18/18. I think it started with the M8. The 16/17 is such a great ride on crappy roads. The 18/18 looks nicer.
    Traxx likes this.
  8. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    i think it started 2020.

the police bikes are still 16/17
    Traxx and Kevm like this.
  9. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Well, at least I like the color of the car. I've had 8 motorcycle close to that same color. :D
    hyena and Traxx like this.
  10. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That started in 2020
    Traxx likes this.
  11. DRconvertible

DRconvertible Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer:
    What were we just talking about the other day? That's the model and color combo that had me drooling, too.
    Traxx and villageidiot like this.
  12. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    for sure! it was damn fine in person at the "Carson honda powerhouse dealer"
    Traxx and DRconvertible like this.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    rauchman likes this.
  14. Smokeyman

Smokeyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, my Road King blew up last night. On the way home from bike night I pulled away from a stop light and for a second thought I was running out of gas but realized the bike was losing power and then all of the sudden clouds of white smoke and oil everywhere. I stopped right away on a side street and parked it. Couldn't tell where the oil was coming from because it was all over the bike. Luckily my brother was right beside me on his FZ1 so I got a bitch ride home with him.

I've got my Kendon hooked up and am heading to the bike at 11. A big part of me hopes someone stole it. I'm beyond disgusted right now...out of 99 motorcycles I've owned I've only had two mechanical failures; this RK and a Daytona Special that was basically a race bike with lights. Maybe it's nothing major but the fact that it was losing power worries me. We all know that wouldn't happen if it was simply an oil line that broke.
  16. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't hit the like button on that. I hope it turns out to be something small.
    Laconic and villageidiot like this.
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Traxx likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    @rd400racer: Sorry to hear that. Hope it turns out to be nothing major. I have put 23k on my '17 RK and it has been totally reliable. Some of my riding puts me literally out in the middle of nowhere - scores of miles from the nearest town, let alone city-size services. If I ever had a bike that failed me in a remote location I'd be beyond inconvenienced. Worst comes to worst - bike might just go up in flames. "I don't know what happened... I smelled something odd and pulled over. Just as I got off it burst into flames." :D
    Laconic, Traxx and rd400racer like this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

02, 69K miles. Bumpus Harley gave me info on it from 4 years ago...they did a fairly major service and all was fine at 65K. It passed family hands from 65-68K in those 4 years to the present. I confirmed that it did in fact have the cam chain upgrade. I also did a full fluid change last week and went for about a 200 mile ride Sunday and all was good. I even quickly checked over the parts that I touched (oil filter, the 3 drain plugs) to see if I might have done something wrong but it all looked good. I'll have no real clues until I get it home this afternoon and clean all of the oil away.

Could it be something as simple as a head bolt came loose?
    Laconic and Traxx like this.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Funny you mention that because I'm heading out on a 7 day trip on my GSA this Monday...now I feel a touch spooked:D
    Laconic, Traxx and villageidiot like this.