random road king thoughts

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by sshbsn, May 30, 2019.

1. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    It could be something simple/stupid.

But, and this is the thing, the reason I don't buy used vehicles almost ever anymore is this - you NEVER know what it went through prior. I don't care what some smarmy dealer says about the history of the bike, they have NO IDEA if it did smokey burnouts constantly or tons of short trips that caused excess moisture and acids to form in the oil, or was lugged constantly, or was started and "warmed up" idling for 10 minutes at a time, or was overheated a few times or .....

When you buy anything used you roll the dice no matter how well it is inspected.

Most of the time, you're fine.

Sometimes, even just once in a while, you're not.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @rd400racer that sucks. Hope it is something minor and doesn't taint you on the bike or the brand.

Cheers,

M
    FalconXR and Traxx like this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I get what you're saying but I typically have had good luck with all the bikes I've purchased through the years. I didn't get this from a dealer, but the bike had a Bumpus keychain and they were very nice to tell me the services that had been performed on the bike. Truthfully, I'm not too worked up about this...I have 11 other motorcycles:D I paid $5K for my intro into the big twin world...if it is horribly wounded I'd be happy to get $3K out of it and I'll go searching for something else. But it will more than likely be an R1200R or a Ducati ST2 or 3. Those are the two bikes I was considering before I bought this RK. And to think the only reason I didn't get the other two is because I already have a BMW and Duc in the garage now.
    Traxx and Kevm like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll admit that I'm a little tainted, but also amused at your user name. It just so happens that there is a very nice RC51 near me for a decent price and it's a motorcycle I've always wanted to try. Maybe that's Karma telling me to buy it!
    Traxx likes this.
  5. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RC51s are great bikes but they are nigh impossible to use as intended on the street. That is why I ride a Harley (or one of the reasons why).

Cheers,

M
    Traxx and rd400racer like this.
  6. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Sure I totally get that. You can get a lot of bike for cheap when you buy used. I'm just pointing out the dice rolling.

That bike was $16-18k new. You got it for less than 1/3 of that. There's a lot of sanity in doing that.

To me, I'd rather pay the new price and take its virginity and know what life it has led the whole time. It's worth $10-12k, especially if I'm gonna hang onto it for a while.

Hell back in the day when I started riding Harleys there were waiting lists and I could buy new, and sell it 2-4 years later and only lose a grand or two also.

Funny I did try to embrace the used bike thing once. I've never bought a NEW BMW. But all my used ones were trouble, even the only 2k mile/2 year old R1100RS. I paid my money and took my chances. If I were to buy another BMW tomorrow, it would be new.
    Traxx and rd400racer like this.
  7. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the OP's problem.
    As far as buying used, I've had both extremes in results.
    My 2002 Dyna FXDX I bought on Ebay from original owner in 2010. It had 28,000 miles. But I talked to the guy and got a good vibe.
    I flew up to VA. He picked me up at the airport, took me to his house. He had replaced it with a new Superglide. He didn't have service records. It's been the most reliable motorcycle I or most folks have ever owned for 10 years now.
    I also bought a Buell M2 on Ebay (prior to the Dyna) and did not have such good luck with that one.
    As stated, you roll the dice.
    Traxx and Kevm like this.
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    And that Buell coulda been treated right and maintained properly and still boned ya.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    rd400racer, just curious, you mention yours had the cam chain tensioner upgrade....was it the conversion to hydraulic or the S&S gear drive conversion?
    Is it still 88" or does it have the 95" kit?
    Traxx likes this.
  10. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, the issue I had was that a dog broke off first gear, eventually migrated to the primary, got between the primary chain and clutch basket, popping the chain and caused some carnage to the clutch and trap door. I suspect the gear issue was caused by hard usage, as that's not a common problem with Sportster / Buell trannys.
    The bad news was I was a long way from home when the chain snapped, in Tellico Plains after riding the Dragon and Cherohala.
    Other than that, the Buell was pretty good.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    My rule of thumb is to do no unnecessary maintenance or modification immediately before a big trip. If it has been running fine, chances are it's going to continue running fine. Make a modification or do some maintenance "just because" and chances are something is going to go wrong.

My RK needs a brake fluid flush and spark plug change. No trips on the calendar. It's a good week to do it.
    Traxx, Oilhed and rd400racer like this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hydraulic and word is that it had a 95 kit but no evidence to substantiate that. It has stock exhaust which make me think no 95.

Got her back home and can find nothing to indicate the source, but it happened on the right side. Here's a couple of pics. Question is, do I attempt to start?

24755F0E-C7BD-420E-92C8-76511F5FB318.jpeg
    DFACB422-1633-46C5-8454-FB60E50F52D5.jpeg

Edit...you can't really tell squat from those pics.
    rauchman and Traxx like this.
  13. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Maybe pull the spark plugs, put it in a higher gear, and see if you can spin the driveline from the rear tire. Feel/listen for binding.
  14. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last time I had anything similar to that was in my 03 Rubicon. Going down the highway happy as a clam. I hear "tink tink" and lost power. My troubleshooting stopped at the gaping, smoking hole in the block.
  15. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    This.
    But I'd pull the air cleaner first.
    rd400racer likes this.
  16. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's funny, but of the folks who have reported a sumping event on their Milwaukee 8s (a real sumping event, not some yahoo that read about it on the internet and thought they "felt" it) described it just like you did. Sudden loss of power, smoke, oil all over the bike.

What's the oil level look like now? (don't start it without oil, obviously...)
    Traxx, Cogswell and rd400racer like this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting you say that because for a second when I looked down last night as it was happening, I swear it looked like the oil was coming out of the air cleaner which makes no sense.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I think that does make sense if you had a sumping condition. I wonder, did your oil pump shit the bed?

Harley went to an upgraded larger oil pump in later M8 runs (or at least for bikes that got Stage 3+ upgrades). This is also a common cause of sumping on "built" engines.
    Traxx likes this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honesty have no clue if I ever had a sumping issue (I've only had the bike 4 months) but that is an excellent place to start looking. Nothing outward appears to be broken.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sudden loss of power, oil out the air cleaner and all over the right side of the bike, all sounds like excessive crankcase oil to me.
    Traxx likes this.