random road king thoughts

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by sshbsn, May 30, 2019.

1. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I don't know about sumping, but since the oil breathers in the heads vent to the AC on stock set-ups, any sudden pressure in the crankcase (including but not limited to a catastrophic failure) could cause oil to be sprayed out the breathers and AC.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    But wouldn't that have shown up on my 200 mile ride two days earlier? I checked the oil multiple times after the change last week and it was always perfectly in the middle.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The oil definitely came out of the air filter. Did some reading trying to make sense of this. Maybe I did fill it too much but it sure didn't show on the dipstick. The level now is right at the low line. Some people said it can be revving too low around town doesn't create the proper vacuum. Others say make sure your air filter is decent ( mine probably could use a new one). Bike seems OK other than that. Still haven't fired it up (going to do Kev's trick) but hopefully this is just a goofy anomaly. Any other thoughts?

Pulled the plug, engine turned over fine. Fired her up and she started like normal. Rode to the end of my driveway and it felt like it had no power
    Traxx likes this.
  4. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Traxx likes this.
  5. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best i could do.

7C2117B6-BFA5-4637-90BD-8D32A8378621.jpeg

I don’t really pay too much attention to fuel mileage/calculations, but the gas certainly lasts longer at speeds sub 70mph, which is where I’ve spent the last couple days, mostly below 70mph.
    Jed Clampett and Traxx like this.
  6. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    RD, hope it turns out to be something simple.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    @villageidiot: I duplicated your mileage this weekend on my MN1000 rally ride. IIRC, after one long blast up the interstate the range at my next fill up was R=204.
    villageidiot and Traxx like this.
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Codes? What do the plugs look like? WHen starting does it turn over faster than normal?
    Traxx likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    No clue on the codes. Plugs had a bit of oil on them but weren't soaked. Started about like it typically did, but when I took off I could tell it was seriously lacking power.

That was with the air filter completely off, and as I was checking all around the air filter I noticed that the two rubber lines that exit from the engine into the air filter were totally shot.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    1.)Replace the plugs and ride.
    2.)Replace the breather lines if #1 passes.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll give it a shot. The plugs were almost new and I sprayed them off with some electrical contact cleaner before I put them back in. I just watched a video on Harley breather venting...I had no idea they were so finicky due to that venting. I'll probably go ahead and get some new plugs on the way home and some 9/16 vent tubing while I'm at it.
    Traxx and Chuck Pryce like this.
  12. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    First tank came in at 47 mpg. My old neck tension is back; haven't had that issue in a long time. Thinking about different seat options and upgrades for the shocks. I like the way the front suspension feels, fueling is very good, the motor runs quiet, the brakes work good and there's plenty of grunt. Much improved over my "09 Ultra, which was a decent bike. I had some flashing brake light modules left from my earlier bikes and while they plug in and work, they upset the security system. Have to look for alternatives.

It was tough, but somebody had to do it today, perfect weather.

upload_2021-6-17_15-54-18.jpeg
    ausfahrt, rauchman, marshrat and 6 others like this.
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have the means while the plugs are out checking the cranking pressure wouldn't hurt.
  14. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Low power indicates sumping, ie oil drag on the flywheels. What happened in the article I linked above happened to me. I changed the tensioner shoes, and when replacing the oil pump, it pinched the o-ring slightly. Mine never spewed oil like yours, but the low power had me baffled until I found that article. New o-ring fixed it. It's not that big a job to check it.
    Not sure of other ways twin-cams can develop a sumping problem, but I suppose there are some, although over-filling is one.
    Traxx, rd400racer and Blakebird like this.
  15. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somebody else had to do it today, too. Yesterday I drove up to Chicago to pick up my best friend and his daughter at Midway Airport. I hate Chicago. So to get the stink off me today I rode up the Mississippi River for lunch. Opposite side of the state, and Poopy's Biker Bar is about as opposite of Chicago as it gets.

image0-1.jpeg image1.jpeg
    ausfahrt, rauchman, Traxx and 5 others like this.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    @hyena: Gorgeous RK. I was in Savannah in 2019 - must have ridden right past Poopy's without noticing.
    Traxx and hyena like this.
  17. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    not on a RK, but i got home a couple hours ago from a 3 day, 1140 mile lap around much of CA.

perfect weather 3 days, some HOT 105° moments in certain parts of the state.

3D535236-2FC0-4D3E-A5BB-E555B14E8191.jpeg

854C2D2C-E37D-472A-997F-C611017048EB.jpeg

652A5DB9-5055-4024-B7CB-71CC3D3EB826.jpeg
    rauchman, MiltonHog, Traxx and 8 others like this.
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a RK? Close enough!
  19. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    its as bare as an electra glide comes
    Traxx and Kevm like this.
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    EGS is an honorary RK.
    Our two bikes look like twins.
    Traxx, rider33, Kevm and 1 other person like this.