random road king thoughts

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by sshbsn, May 30, 2019.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only took one picture of Elvis on my big ride last weekend - it was at the North Dakota Pyramid, otherwise known as the Stanley R. Mickelsen Safeguard Complex (a relic from the Cold War). The picture was taken from ND-1 about a half mile away.

Safeguard.jpg
    rauchman, Juan Loboe, Laconic and 6 others like this.
  2. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    My MRA spoiler arrived yesterday.
    Cogswell and Traxx like this.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Mrs. RD and I rode a nearly 200 mile loop today to see the World's Largest Crow in Belgrade, MN. It was a bonus location in the recent MN1000 rally and I think it was also a bonus location in the 2017 IBA Rally. I have to say it is one of those quintessentially Minnesotan sites. We stopped for lunch at The Middle Fork Diner in New London before heading home.

I didn't get a picture of Elvis at WLC but he's been hanging out at a new place every morning. A white-haired fellow came up to me Thursday morning, introduced himself to me as "Jack", and said he used to ride a Goldwing all over the country when he was younger. He said his riding mentor when he was young was an old fellow who rode an Indian. This morning, Jack said, "Hey, there's somebody out on your bike - it's a bear!". I informed him that Bear was a veteran of the Alaska ride and his eyes lit up.

WLC.jpg

WLC2.jpg

PFE.jpg
    rauchman, Chillis, Traxx and 3 others like this.
  4. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, to see the largest crow is an excellent destination! :)
    72 Yamaha RD350 and Traxx like this.
  5. Incorrigible

Incorrigible Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was considering one of those. I prefer a 17 inch screen for local trundling and thought that would be a good accessory for highway trips. How’s it working?
  6. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Only a short blast down the 4-lane adjusted to what I thought would be a good angle based on what I had on two other bikes (Wee Strom and my current CB500X). Not what I expected, but more testing happens today.

My fork mounted air deflectors are on back order, so I'm not panicking until I get those put on; I know they work from past experience.

I'm also working on adding some seat height, so it's going to be a process.

Both the Strom and the CB500X were unrideable until I added the spoiler; after that I could ride all day in peace and quiet, even with my face shield up, so I have high hopes.
    Incorrigible likes this.
  7. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    you'll get there. The nice thing about a King is that there are a dozen or more options for just about anything. In my case as I think I said somewhere, I started with the right seat for me. From there about 50% of the improvement came from the taller screen, 30% from the fangs, and the final 20% from the under tree bell. With those pieces in place I find it's every bit as quite as an Electra or RG w/o all the excess tupperware. 'Good luck in the hunt.
    2540453F-96A2-4506-A8BF-D9108ED042BC.jpeg
    (Beartooth Highway, the sort of wide-open places these bikes are made for)
    Samspade, rauchman, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  8. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a weird observation but I noticed that the windshield on my "21 flutters at around 50 MPH in 6th gear, which causes an annoying buffet and loud low frequency thrum. It's engine RPM related because as soon as I shift down it goes away. My '17 did not do that. And no, I generally do not ride around in 6th gear at 50MPH, but I noticed it when rolling into lower speed zones from highway speed.
    Laconic likes this.
  9. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Had the exact same thing happen, didn't occur to me it was the windshield. I like to be at 65 or so to go to 6th.
    DirtyRoadie and Chuck Pryce like this.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a very tall screen. Came with the police model. The top was very flexible and not very wide. It did move a bit but it was quiet. Problem was the edge was in my field of vision. So I got a lower screen with a recurve. I love the look and it’s less flexible. Not as quiet and I coulda gone with in inch higher. But the fangs and triple clamp deflector more than made up for the noise. Still wouldn’t wanna ride 85 mph on the Highway all day long.
    Laconic likes this.
  11. TheHeathen

TheHeathen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the HD fangs will work with a Clearview wide (+2.5”) windshield? I have a set of aftermarket fangs that don’t fit but worked well on the stock windshield.
  12. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    rauchman, Chillis, mtwillyman and 2 others like this.
  13. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Got pretty good results with the spoiler position here. Most of the noise is coming from flow up beside the tank now. My deflectors are on back order but I did get my docking hardware today.

upload_2021-6-24_14-32-14.jpeg
    Cogswell, rauchman, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  14. TheHeathen

TheHeathen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kevm! I’ll check those out.
    Kevm likes this.
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Not my windshield but I get that low-frequency thrum under the same conditions. I interpret it as ancient Milwaukee indian-speak for "kemosabe, you shifted too soon".
    DirtyRoadie, MiltonHog and Laconic like this.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I came out from lunch yesterday and found this German hussy with a Mexican accent sweet-talking Elvis. At least she was't topless.

Hussy.jpg
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    For those who are interested, three Road Kings started the 2021 Iron Butt Rally. One of them, a 2018 Police model started spewing oil on day 3 and making undesirable sounds. He parked it in southern Wisconsin and withdrew leaving two RK’s still in the rally. First stage results will be posted in the morning.
    DirtyRoadie, Cogswell and hyena like this.
  18. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh bummer I hope it’s not Todd.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch, that hurts!
  20. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, it wasn't me. But thank you for the concern.
    Chuck Pryce and villageidiot like this.