random road king thoughts

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by sshbsn, May 30, 2019.

1. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't feel anything in the lever either, like you typically would with a warped rotor. I guess it's just some grabbiness, but it's basically only an issue at lighter applications. And it's periodic as well, as you'd expect with something on the rotor.

Know how it feels when you're slowing down and the engine starts to lug a bit, before you pull in the clutch to smooth it out, and the bike kind starts chugging back and forth a little? It's like that.

I can't feel anything during normal riding, the brakes work well.
  2. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife won't ride without the Tour Pak. I like the handling better without. Having said that, it stays on the bike 95% of the time whether I'm solo or not.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and TurkeyRun like this.
  3. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planned to, but never did get around to getting the quick release kit for the Tour Pack on my bike, as I don't think I'd bother going without it.

Now I understand those guys who put the big Givi and such trunks on bikes, they're just so damn useful.
    Samspade likes this.
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's typically dirt and grit under the springs/washers limiting the float of the rotor. Try cleaning them with soapy water and a small stiff bristle brush. I just live with it. Too lazy I'd rather ride. Sometimes a higher speed hard application or two takes care of it.
    Hammerdown77 likes this.
  5. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, stopped by my local dealership (instead of just calling) told the SW my concerns about old brake fluid. She says, “can you bring it by at 10:00 tomorrow? I can have it ready same day”

(Sweet)

:deal

I’d still like to be self sufficient for my own service tho… probably why I still have a non-ABS Sporty.
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Never hurts to ask.
    TurkeyRun likes this.
  7. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the removable kit on my '12 E-Glide Ultra; Tour Pak was off the bike once. Wouldn't bother with it again.
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone put together or buy a tool roll
    for their RK? I don’t do my own wrenching but would like to have the tools I might need on hand when traveling.
  9. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    credit card and a spare pair of underwear/end
    Kevm likes this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry a tire plug kit, a can of Fix-a-Flat, my credit card, and roadside assistance phone number. I think I took the appropriate Allen key and Torx set with me to Alaska. Otherwise I don’t think there’s much I’m going to fix on the side of the road. I do make sure my battery connections are not loose.
    villageidiot likes this.
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I agree with both of you I was thinking like if some parts come loose I'd like the right torx, Allen and box wrenches to handle it. Is there a list?
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took the folding sets of Allen and Torx. They don’t take up much space but they are relatively heavy. I also took a Leatherman with an array of useful gadgets. I didn’t take any sockets, ratchets, or open/box end wrenches.

@anotherguy would be the one to recommend specific sizes. He did this stuff for a living.

I can be both mechanically competent and incompetent, the latter not being much of a liability when I am home in the garage. But it’s a big liability on the side of the road. Which I am depends on a lot of different factors too long to discuss here.

When it comes to Elvis - if anything ever happens on a road trip the most useful tools will be my cell phone, roadside assistance number, and credit card.

The day I can’t trust Elvis is the day I will buy a new Elvis. Implicit in our relationship is that I will do everything necessary to insure he doesn’t break down from neglect or inattention. But if something internal awry - I can’t afford to own a bike that requires extensive shop time. The riding season is too short and my time too valuable at this point in life.
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know “Cruz tools” puts together a decent little “harley kit” that has a nice little case n stuff.

https://cruztools.com/product-category/brand/harley-davidson/?filter_brand=harley-davidson

might start there and see what comes in it, and either emulate it, or just buy the damn thing.

In the past, I’d always made it a point to service the bike with the tools I carry when I ride, doesn’t take long to figure out what you need. But I haven’t done that with the last few bikes as I didn’t beat em up like the dual sports.
  14. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must have at least 5 different tool rolls. When I first started going cross-country I tended to travel with damn near everything but a bike lift. The more I traveled, the less I felt the need to have 20+ pounds of tools along. Now I travel with:

A plug kit:
    http://www.dynaplug.com/pro.html

A compressor:
    https://www.aerostich.com/repair/tire-repair/pumps-air-compressors/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

The smallest Harley tool kit I could find:
    https://cruztools.com/product/speedkit-for-harley-davidson-motorcycles/

Some zip ties and some duct tape.

I find if that will not cover it, I'm unlikely to be able to do much about it by the side of the road anyway and honestly, neither of my Kings have ever given me much in the way of trouble.
  15. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
  16. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do, take a plug kit, compressor, and all the allens/wrenches needed to tighten up everything connecting the shifters to the transmission.

On that last one, I've had to stop twice for touring bikes on the side of the road who couldn't shift out of first because something had come loose/stripped and they didn't have the tools to tighten things up enough to get rolling again.
  17. DRconvertible

DRconvertible Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer:
    As I'm collecting and selling off my Harley parts and other stuff, I wanted to see if anyone here who uses the Police seat would be interested in a Russell-built Mustang passenger seat for their wife, girlfriend, or S.O. I had it built for my wife and she never sat on it. It's essentially new. We all say we want the best for the one we love, but how often do we express it in ass-comfort?

It comes with the front mounting nuts.

I realize this isn't the Flea Market but as interest in it is probably pretty narrow, I figured I'd throw it out here. Please communicate via PM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Daniii

Daniii geezer

Oddometer:
    speakers 2.JPG
    I modified a Sportster Sundowner for the rear of my V-Rod Cruiser. It got used once.:bluduh The speakers were a bit close and I finally realized that in helmet bluetooth speakers were far better so they got scrapped as well. I got rid of the tourpak as well as it was incredibly top heavy (with the 3 gallon tourtank inside).
  19. Charleston

Charleston Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a great kit. I made one almost exactly the same but substituted 1 adjustable for the 2 open end wrench’s, a small vise grip for the pliers (which make it easier to pull nails from tires) and a CO2 inflator for the pump. The Aerostich pump is tiny though. Also omitted the spark plug wrench.
    I do bring a small multimeter and a tiny bottle of blue threadlocker.
    Also a pdf copy of the service manual with wire diagrams takes no space.
  20. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wrap electrical tape around my plier handle and duct tape around my screwdriver handle. Not like wrapping a hockey stick but like it is on the roll. I carry a spare kickstand spring too. Besides dying batteries and flats I've luckily only had kickstand springs and shift linkage shafts (the factory ones suck in my opinion) break on the road and zip ties were the fix. I use my tools to help other people far more often than myself (so far).