Random Roads on a CB500X

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Cro59, May 8, 2018.

1. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a top end kit available, but I'm not sure I want to do that to a travel bike. Engine reliability is one of the appeals for the CBX and I'm reluctant to mess with that.

Trim weight and pack light.
    klaviator likes this.
  2. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good point. If you valued horsepower more than the reliability you'd probably be riding a KTM.. The question is: how much can you trim from your overall load?

In a way this is the same dynamic I've lived with as a climber and backpacker for my entire adult life. Do I pack for a comfortable carry, or for a comfortable camp? What's more important - the riding or the camping? I'll be interested to read how you approach this dynamic...

Unclescar likes this.
  3. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same dynamic with different factors. I was a backpacker first and just got into the ADV riding scene a few years ago; both are an exercise in minimalism and simplicity. Where is the balance between too much and not enough? Each of us will have a different answer. I love the wilderness and remote corners of the world, and the bike is a way to get to more of them. If you've read my ride reports then you'll know that I'm trending to smaller and simpler bikes, so, no, I'm definitely not chasing horsepower. I'll swap out the battery and remove the luggage racks. That'll save me 10 lbs, plus or minus. Beyond that, I might be able to save a pound or two, but the best approach is to avoid overpacking gear and luggage. I've purchased Wolfman 303 Rollies and the E-Base harness to replace my Mosko Moto panniers. That saves another 10 pounds, and, being smaller bags, they will force me to pack smarter.

The only way to cut substantial weight is to change bikes, which I'm considering. I may pick up a 250 dual sport and run it against the CBX for a while to see which suits me best.
    klaviator likes this.
  4. LateToTheGame

Oddometer:
    So which Mosko Moto bags were you running?

5. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The original Backcountry panniers, a 35 L and 25 L, off of my VStrom. About 10 lbs each with mounting hardware. It is great gear, but heavy.

The other issue on the CBX is that the Rally Raid racks stick out pretty far and put the bags in the wind stream. I'm hoping the Wolfman rackless system will reduce wind drag.

I'm planning to run the Rollies (17 L each) and a 30 or 40 L duffel on the tail for 60-70 L total luggage.
  6. LateToTheGame

Oddometer:
    60 - 70 L ought to be sufficient volume for several days away from resupply. By then you'll need fuel anyway. I like the idea of a reckless system. Why Wolfman instead of Giant Loop or Mosko Moto?

7. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The test is whether or not 60-70 L will work for me during a multi-week or multi-month trip.

Why the Wolfman? Good question. First and foremost, I want to see if I can eliminate the side racks entirely. And, I just want to try their gear. I don't care for the design of the Coyote style bag that sits on the seat and IIRC GL's other offerings will need a rack. I thought long and hard about the R80 and a couple of things held me back. It's a bit more expensive and heavier, plus it just seems overly complex. Some folks complain that there are too many straps and adjustments to make. Finally, when I do the math, I'm not convinced it holds anywhere near 80L. For instance, the side dry bag is listed as a 25 L bag, but the unrolled dimensions are 8 x 5 x 29, which equals 19L. That's unrolled! At 22" rolled, the bag is only 14L. Those dimension come from the MM website. So it's really a 60L system. I'm not bagging on MM because all manufacturers are a bit creative and fluid when it comes to volume measurements. I love MM's gear, I'm just not sold on their rackless solution. The other option I considered is the Kriega OS-base, but they don't make a base for wide seats yet. They say they are working on it, but have no timeline.

I tried running the MM Backcountry panniers from my V-Strom. It works, but with the Rally Raid racks the bags and weight are spread wide. At 10+ lbs each for the bags, plus the racks themselves, that's at least 25 lbs added to the bike. I'll measure when I get home, but I'm estimating the Wolfman Rollies and B-Base at no more than 10 lbs. 15 lbs (about 3%) is a non-trivial weight loss for a 47 hp bike, and with the bags closer to the bike there should be less wind drag.

That's a longwinded and somewhat redundant answer, but there it is.
    eaglescan likes this.
  8. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the VStrom is sold and gone. The money went to buy one of RTWPaul’s WR250Rs. No pictures, believe it or not. I really thought I’d end up with a CFR250L, but the WRR is well sorted and suits my purpose. I may just kill this ride report and start a new one that’s not bike specific.
  9. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking back on it, you probably could've bought a fairly new low mile dual sport 250 for the price of the RR kit! Then you have a touring bike and another one for off road. It's cool to hear the CB500X is a great all around bike but I believe that the do-it-all type stuff just doesn't do everything great. So one bike for off road, one bike for on is probably still the best bet? Just a thought.

I was looking at the CB500X last year, my local Honda shop was blowing out the previous year models for $4999. Instead I came across a Breva 750 with 3500 miles for a price I couldn't refuse. Kind of a similar category: about 50hp, light weight, touring configuration. If the motoguzzi starts acting up and falling a part then i can always trade it in for the X!
    Cro59 likes this.
  10. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed. The thing is that we don't know what we don't know. One of the reasons I do these ride reports is to help others make more educated decisions. I didn't realize that I wanted a 250 DS until I spent a few days on the CRF in Thailand. If I knew what I know nor, then I would never have bought the VStrom, but probably still would have done the CBX Rally Raid because it is a great 60/40 to 50/50 touring bike.

I did my first dirt ride on the WRR today and it was just amazing. The weight is so much more manageable. No surprise, right? It is almost 200 lbs lighter than the DL650 and 140 lbs lighter than the CBX RR. I just floated over sections that scared me on the Suzuki and challenged me on the Honda. I know it's just one day with the bike, but I think the WRR is underrated as a long distance or RTW ADV bike.
  11. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Indeed. The thing is that we don't know what we don't know. "

I hear that. I was in LA for a week last month and decided to rent a bike for a couple of days. The place only had a BMW G310R in shop. I thought it would be way under-powered and not fun in LA but I was pretty wrong! I had a lot of fun on that little thing, even two up. I was surprised at the power and nimbleness and stopping power of it. In traffic or on the highway, even Mulholland Drive and the PH1. I'm pretty small at 5'6" and 160 but the bike worked for me. I even found a stretch of highway next to LAX without traffic I was able to open her up. It gets up to 90 in a pretty decent hurry. So yes, you don't something until you try something.
    Cro59 likes this.