Range of Light 2002?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Santa, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Nor Cal GSer's,Anybody considering going to this one?
    http://www.bmwnorcal.org/rol/
    I was gonna go but now I'm thinking that it would be nice to maybe have our own little gypsy tour.
    Whaddya say Cali GSer's?
    Santa:beer
  2. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be calling the guy who is organizing the GS sections for the ROL this weekend. My impression is, without J-L setting up the program, the GS routes may be a bit weak. I've offered to help them, but time is limited and I have my own family stuff going on. So, I may not be able to get away enough to plan the routes and run it ahead of time.

Depending how the conversation goes, I may be ready to work on our own Gypsy Thang instead! Sounds Good. Labor Day weekend would be a good time.

One of the nice features of ROL is that the paved segments are nice and well organized. You get to cover a lot of distance and alternate with unpaved stages. I was the only rider to run the entire course last year. It was an awesome work-out! I even made it up to the fire watch.

:dj
    R-dubb
  4. jimstrider

jimstrider Adventure StRider

Oddometer:
    Whichever way it goes, I'd like to join in.

:thumb
  5. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Amongst all the Club rides, the ROL is the only one I really like!

Obviously it’s depending on who are the organizers and the GS roads are not always interesting. However, even the paved roads are fun: nothing that we can’t discover by ourselves but why not trying them? It’s a pretty cheap event and we could do our own ride (like the amazing Rim ride organized by R-dubb) any other weekend…

Just a thought… However if some of us organize a great ride at the same time, I’ll go with it!
  6. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I'm in for ROL. If the right crew shows up (you know who I'm takin' `bout!), a great experience is going to break out! :):

OTOH, what I'd really like to see is something *special* put together for those of us who find the "lowest common denominator" rides too blah: a kind of "Big Dog" event based in Cal. I visualize that as being a gypsy-tour kind of thing, possibly with a support vehicle to schlepp the luggage between CG's, and being a 'big-mile' event, possibly ranging from NorCal to SoCal over four days or more. I'd volunteer to research and lay out the SoCal sections. :lol1

mully
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    uh, dad...ain't you got poopy diapers to change? hmmm?
  8. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    I do... if not I would also organize the ride! :ssmile

You know, last Friday I already went for a ride to Bear Valley with BS and Kevin - came back Saturday evening. My first ride as a dad was not really glorious: I was so out of shape! uhm... wonder if it has something to with my short nights :confused
  9. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I spoke with the organizer for the Range of Light- GS legs tonight, and also got to preview the road route. It will be a great event. I will be meeting him shortly to assist in planning the alternative legs. Without giving anything up, since the whole "Gypsy" aspect is a big secret, it will be a Sierra loop with spectacular unpaved opportunities. There are also a couple of long, not to be missed, tight and rough, paved sections.

So....I think it would be a mistake not to join the fun since the program will be ready made and potentially quite challenging. Also, we don't risk creating a dynamic where road only riders are excluded. (not that this is always a bad thing!)

And yes Mully, if the "right crew shows up", we can all have a blast.

:dj
    R-dubb
  10. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. Count me in.
    Looks like ADVRIDER will be well represented.
    It will be a blast I'm sure.
    Let's get those oilheads dirty.
    Santa
    :thumb :beer
  11. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    I'm in too! Since the GS roads should be interesting I will take the Dakar... :asta
  12. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Sounds fun, count me in. :D

-BS
  13. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Cool...we get a faceoff between a Dakar and an Adventure. Looking forward to reading and seeing the reports.
  14. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
  15. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid he's right :(: but I think half of it might come from his rider (me!) and his lack of condition that weekend. Anyway, the trails were VERY challenging and both the KTM and the KLR did better than me on my Dakar :mad:
    I DO need another test :uhoh
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I musta missed that thread. Got link?
  17. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Boyscout already gave it to ya...look again.
  18. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    We didn't do much of a write-up. There are some pictures here and here. We rode the Slick Rock Trail and attempted the Deer Valley Trail up off of four. We had to turn back when JL busted his radiatior on Deer Valley. JL is right, both trails are very technical. Can't way to go back :D

-BS
  19. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes, in fact I did see that single photograph with no description or context :rolleyes Thanks ever so much, rubbadubdubb.

Thanks for the additional shots, BS. So what happened? He dumped it on one of those rocks you guys had no business riding over? :):
  20. R-dubb

Oddometer:

Anytime, I can be of help....why just don't hesitate.:1drink :1drink

the photos do seem to reveal a bit more of the story. These Beemer types hang out with rough crowd; look what happens.

R-dubb