Range of Light 2002?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Santa, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Bartman

Bartman SnowDog

Oddometer:
    So is it necessary to mount knobs for the technical rides? If I come I'd be riding from UT. wouldn't really want to do that much asphalt with knobs.
  2. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    probalbly not neccessary, but they sure am fun.:rofl :drums
  3. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Only one GS section is really challenging (according to R-dubb) and the organizer. Worst case scenario: you might not be able to it without knobs but you can still enjoy 95% of the ride.
    However if you really want knobs, on dry pavement the TKC80 are just as good as the "classic" dual-sport (like Tourance...) and will do VERY good off-road. They will be worn faster, but they should be OK at least for the round-trip from UT...
    BTW, congrats to do such a trip for a weekend, looking forward to have a :2beer with you!
  4. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not wearing 'em either. Be eating a lot of dust and falling down too, but that's the way it gunna be. ..

The sandy section is tough, but if you try it and don't like it you can always turn around and take the road route.

There is only one leg that's hard!

:dj
    R-dubb
  5. jimstrider

jimstrider Adventure StRider

Oddometer:
    Dude, I guess if I really want to have fun, I'm gonna have to leave the RT at home and rent a GS for this. :(:
  6. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    If you find a place that will rent a GS and let you bust it up out in the desert, let me know; I'll rent one too! :1drink

Not to worry, the road route is a bunch of fun also. Takes you places, you might not find otherwise!

R-dubb
  7. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found out where the different camps are for this years ROL. Don't really care about the route, the mystery of that is good but it would be nice to know where the stayovers are so that we cam at least tell someone where we will be just in case...
    I will be leaving the Bay area around noon or so on Friday, is anyone else leaving around then? We could do a ride over Hamilton and down Del Puerto canyon or something similar to start the adventure early, just a thought.:coo: :2beer
  8. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    The time is drawing near, Knobs mounted. Final checks done.
    Bags packed and mounted.
    I'm stoked. The ROL is one of those rides that really gets me going. The opportunity to shed the baggage and just enjoy the bike is just too rare. Wx seems cooperative (although a good scout is always prepared).
    Leaving Oakley Friday AM. Ridin backroads, possibly dirt/gravel roads or along the canals if they are going our way.
    Anyone frome the area wanna meet for the ride in?
    How about an Advrider headcount?
    Santa
  9. Santa

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, anyone know if a GPS download will be available?
    Santa
  10. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, that would be really cool, at least for the GS roads. Although last year very few people asked me to dowload it and/or didn't have the right cable for it. Bob love doesn't have a GPS I believe and so I hope R-dubb will bring his PC :confused We'll have to bring our own cable and do the downlad every night.
    I Still don't know if I'll go there early Saturday or Friday; if it's the latest I would love to have a ride with you Santa or Mongox (I'm in SFO).
    JL
  11. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Make sure you guys take lots and lots of photos! :thumb
  12. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Bringing the PC and downloading is a PITA. I'm planning to stay light by leaving the bags at home. Also, Garmin has some protection to prevent some maps from being used on more than one device. Not knowing how much memory and which units and cables and such, it might fail even if I bring the PC.

I do have a 95% accurate Mapsource file with route legs and road links between. It would work to email the file. But with the Club secrecy thing about the routes, someone would get pissed. (I'm not even a real member, just helping Bob). Send me an e-mail, and I'll see what I can do. Thursday is the soonest I could send a file, if at all.

I know, lot's of excuses. :1drink

R-dubb
  13. Santa

Oddometer:
    Hey, No prob.
    I agree with the simple approach. I run light too. Will maps be provided Friday pm? Are they generated from the same Mapsource data also?

Great roads, great company.Somethin to eat at the end of the day
    Works for me.
    Advriders, got a digicam? Use it!
    Lotsa photo ops for sure.
    Santa
  14. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    ya Mann,

I got the shitt maps too.

The routes are laid out with mileage and turns. That will work and is very accurate.

The maps I am passing out are from Mapsource at too large a scale to see the roads clearly, but rather will be for general orientation. To print at a scale that picks up the tiny lines would take way too many pages. If you have the Benchmark California Atlas it has nearly all the roads in it and makes a good reference. If you have USFS maps for Stanislaus, Tahoe, Plumas and Toiyabe you will be very well covered indeed.

If you want to load the GPS with background maps go with a quadrant from Coulterville to Quincy to Reno to Bridgeport and hope for the best.

None of this is required. From the sound of things, it will be a small enough GS group that we can share info easily and ride together. If you have in mind riding all the dirt, time will be tight anyway.

R-dubb
  15. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Since I am coming from Gilroy, Waterford is closer to me than most places that I could meet you north bay or CCconunty folk,(Santa and Tony) and the only mid place would be the Junction.(mines rd at Del Puerto) which would almost be back tracking for you. I Will probably be going over Pacheco pass through Gustine to get to the first night (Friday) unless any San Jose or S.C people would like to meet and ride over Mt. Hamilton around 11 or 12 on Friday. Also I am taking off Tuesday, if anyone is interested on cruising around the northern Sierras after leaving Quincy Monday morning and getting back Tuesday afternoon/evening.:1drink :ear :stoned :stoned :jive :2beer :2beer
  16. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Bringing the PC is definitely a PITA but downloading the track or route is a piece of cake (if everyone brings his own cable). No big deal anyway.
    However, why do you want guys to travel light (unusual for Santa ;-)? The beauty of the ROL is that they take care of the luggages for us: fun on the trail, gear at the campground; just perfect to me.
    Is someone living the Bay area on Friday afternoon?
    Does someone know if cRAsH is going?

I'm so excited about this trip :jive
  17. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can count on a luggage truck. That is the lowest priority, and if there are not enough drivers, it will not happen. It is nice though.

I will be leaving Burlingame (or SF) at about noon Friday. J-L, we can go together if you like.... We could take 580 to Livermore and go south on Mines to pick-up SR132.

R-dubb

Oh BTW, Bob's bike is down, and it sounds like he won't be coming.
  18. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    That's a pitty for Bob, oh well...
    I just checked with Pat (the Club Pdt) and she confirmed that like every year there will be a luggage truck and that's great! The only thing that they are missing this year is a driver for the sweep truck with a trailer for the broken bikes. They have truck/trailer but no driver so far.

Friday noon might be too soon for me (was planning 2 PM) but I'll do my best and let you know before Friday.
  19. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Too bad about Bob's bike; he's been worried about it for a while.

OK, it sounds like there is a fair bit of interest in this GPS route thing. If you guys want me to bring the computer, I will. If you want me to e-mail the file, I'll do that too, unless J-L feels it would be totally tacky to do so. I won't do it before Thursday cause I don't want the info getting around.

J-L, if you can leave at between 1:30 and 2:00; that will work for me. I just don't want to get into a late mess leaving town. With the holiday, everyone starts too early....

I broke down and got some knobs put on as well!

I just wanna ride.
    :drums
    R-dubb
  20. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for considering my opinion but I don't want to be the judge: it will be your call :scratch
    IMO, if the GS trails are really tough to find even with the directions, it would be worth it to have them on the GPS. Bringing a PC is not really fun and so an e-mail Thursday would be better. Again, if the risk to be lost is more important than the fun of a surprise, why not?

Let's leave the city between 1:30 and 2 PM that give us plenty of time to have fun on the road.