Range of Light gypsy tour sept 3-6

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Orindarider, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Orindarider

Orindarider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THE BMW Club of Northern California is hosting the 30th Range of Light Gypsy Tour this Labor Day weekend starting at Glenn County Fairgrounds in Orland. Your next destination is a mystery. But you will have two days of some of the greatest motorcycle roads the Sierra Nevada range has to offer, 3 days of grasssy camping, catered dinners, a poker run with awesome prizes and an all around fun time. Check out the details and registration at
    https://bmwnorcal.org/ROL
    bar-low, Kefalos, idea man and 2 others like this.
  2. Kefalos

Kefalos intrepidus savant

Oddometer:
    Got the email. That's my birthday as well so will see if I can sneak away from family.
  3. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Waiting for someone to say "hot showers". All I have to say is Yerington, NV Fairgrounds
  4. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Group of us went on the last one pre-covid, And we all vowed we will never do one again. 1st night in Grass Valley weather was cool however not enough porta potties for the amount of people there. 2nd night riding down to Plymouth back into a 100 plus degree weather. next night into Yerrington, Nevada to 100 plus degree to weather again!
  5. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    I was the RoL Rally Chair on 5 different occasions...and grass camping, showers, and bathrooms were always the first thing on the checklist when setting up the routes. I think the negative feedback from that year was a big black eye for the Club...and hopefully, lessons learned
  6. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding in 100 degree heat (or even 85), the third most important thing is a shower at the end of the day, water and toilets being 1 and 2. Orland is going to be hot. I hope they go west on Hwy 36 to the coast.
  7. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    One year, the route went over the Fork of the Salmon Road..95+ degrees. Came around a curve,,,there was a pull out, the river was right there so we dropped helmets and wallets...and just flopped in the cool crystal clear water...The fish were curious. Got back on the bikes and was dry in 30 minutes.
  8. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Only one of our group decided to go to Yerrngton, everybody else was done with the heat.
    My other big gripe was after paying $20 extra for the beer, we were supplied with off-brands I'd never heard of and I used to own a bar!
    If you estimate average person drinks 3 beers each night, that's 9 beers total! For $20 you can buy a 24 pack of Corona, Bud, Coors etc, anything but cheap shit!
    End of rant!
  9. idea man

Oddometer:
    Do we think the organizers will take into account the smoke that is all up and down the state? Smoke for the last several days have rendered Orland air quality "Moderate"ly bad. https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/mAQI/a10/cC0#8.24/39.581/-123.719
    Smoke + Covid Delta = no bueno. I wouldn't mind riding laps up and down Hwy 1 for the clean air over there (as opposed to the Sierras or the Central Valley.)
  10. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    They've already laid out new routes away from the smoke/fires over the last week. Not a lot of fun and a whole lot of work. Couldn't change Orland unfortunately..and it all depends on which way the wind blows..and that changes every couple days from onshore to offshore.
  11. idea man

Oddometer:
    I am appreciative of the effort for them to do that. Given the membership demographic, keeping them/us out of the smoke is a good thing. Manny Thanks for the intel.
  12. haket

haket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's great news. See you there !
  13. idea man

Oddometer:
    This just in: Orland's Air Quality Index is below 30 today (right now). Lower is gooder for AQI. Yesterday it was 130+.
    Kenny M. likes this.
  14. JoeJack

JoeJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a caravan/group-ride to Orland on Friday from SF Bay Area's Peninsula or East Bay? I know there is one from Sonoma and Mendo Co.
  15. idea man

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Booneville. Good beer. Great food!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They even had showers. :-)
    Nor-Cal BMW Riders really know how to organize a rally. Very professional job. Given that they had to re-work the routes because of the pervasive smoke made it all the more impressive.
    Well done and THANKS!
    bar-low, WoofWoof and haket like this.
  16. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    You can do all the planning you think you need months in advance and then Nature throws the curve in the last week or even days and it's down to Plan B and sometimes Plan C

I actually froze on some the ride and only got hot the other times when we stopped for gas or lunch. Cool evenings for great sleeping and I lost count of how many uphill and downhill switchbacks each day. Great practice for the Alps!

Nick and his crew of volunteers did a wonderful job of planning and execution...although it took us almost a half hour to find our way out of the last night's fairground..all the gates were locked and the bikes weren't heavy enought to trigger the gate exit!
    bar-low likes this.
  17. DonniBoi

DonniBoi two wheel trash

Oddometer:
    so what were the camp locations? I couldn't make it this year but It seemed to ended in my backyard
  18. haket

haket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mendocino and Sonoma fairgrounds
  19. DonniBoi

DonniBoi two wheel trash

Oddometer:
    wow I'm from Santa Rosa. could have just stayed at home. not much of a ride from mendo to Sonoma. last ROL kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. glad I didn't spring the cash to do it this year. I thought starting in Orland it would have gone up over to Humboldt area

20. haket

haket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a ride out to the coast and back across some awesome roads. They were trying to keep away from fires and smoke and was a blast. May not have been for a local but I enjoyed it !.