Rant About Shops

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CDN Rick, Jan 2, 2020.

1. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Haha
    I probably wasn’t clear either.
    I’m not going to reread entire thread but from memory thought you had a wider encompassing opinion on this subject unlike a few who are definitely on one side or the other.
    I understand what CDN Rick is saying but he is rubbing some the wrong way, in that they feel he is basically calling them unpatriotic to motorcycling “if” they don’t only shop local or at small local owned shops across the country.
    That’s just not realistic for some including me.

This is not a “one size fits all” situation so there is really no
    “one”—- “correct for all” method in my opinion.
    Night_Wolf and ommoran like this.
  2. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I don't know if this has been mentioned in this 10 page thread I am pretty sure Fortnine did sponsor the Classique http://www.classiquemoto.ca/ in the past which is the largest organised ride in Québec.

I am verifying this information.
  3. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I wish I had left the word "local" out of it altogether.

I've purchased from shops in BC and Alberta, even though I live in Ontario.

My point is that I feel we can build our own community to be much stronger in Canada. ONE of the ways I feel we can do this, (I stress the words "ONE" and "I") is by shopping with companies that are also engaged in building that same community.

Some clearly don't feel the need for community, and that's fine. I wish them the best, and hope they do as they please, but others seem to agree with me, and judging by the comments and PM's I've received, some hadn't considered the point that I brought up. While I wish everyone on two wheels was engaged in building a community around motorcycling, I understand that isn't a reality. So I'm glad to have reached those who's mind I did change, and I wish them, and those who's minds didn't change, a fantastic riding season in 2020 and beyond!
    Millwright98 likes this.
  4. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    They may have in the past, but in their email to me they clearly stated that they do not support that or any other ride in Canada.
  5. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    Some also feel that community can be built in other ways, and isn't centred around a shop. I like being able to go into the shop and bullshit. Interestingly, a lot of the owners and staff - not all, but a lot - can find that annoying. Because they have a job to do, selling things. Hopefully they are doing it competitively, and sometimes they are in my experience. I've made my point on this all before, but one thing to stress - the "community" doesn't revolve around the LBS. The LBS isn't Arnold's from Happy Days. The community is what the riders make of it. And if shops choose to see that, and support it, good for them. It doesn't mean they will get my money. They have to earn it by doing something other than just advertising, and that's really all the "support" you are talking about is.
    Adanac rider, Scratch and gpfan like this.
  6. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    That word "local" again.
    I wish I could ban it from this discussion.

Also it appears you may have missed the stress of the word "ONE" in my last post.
  7. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    If wishing made it so. But you put it there. And you railed against an online shop. Call them what you will. Local. Brick and mortar. It all means the same thing.

Well either the message some of us have been posting has given you pause, or it is revisionist history. I firmly believe that you are a well meaning man of your conviction, and that it is the former.

I'm going to again suggest that we send this discussion to the Dead Horse Society as it is truly flogged.
    gpfan likes this.
  8. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you always so obtuse?

Let me “mansplain” this to you again. Rick posted about trying to support the retailers that support the off road community.

Racing is an expensive hobby. Bikes, parts, gear, fuel, lodging etc all come out of the participants pockets. If GP Bikes or RPM Cycle or Dual Sport Plus are going to use their advertising dollars to Sponsor a race or part of a race series, then I will certainly choose to spend my money there.

Running a series is not a small amount of money either and if those sponsorships weren’t made available to organizations, the racing “community” would cease to exist because entrance fees would be too much for amateurs to afford.

As someone who’s been involved in racing for the past 7 years from Race Director to Safety to a participant - there is a HUGE community at the track. The sponsors are there along with the participants and it’s the support of those events that takes me through the door of those shops. That’s what Rick is referring to.

If you don’t participate - don’t worry about it. What Rick is referring to doesn’t affect you. My racing schedule is set for the year. My money is set aside for all the expenses. The guys that support the 3 Series I’ll race in? I will order my tires, my spare parts and my gear from them. Guaranteed I’ll get what I want just as quick as you’ll get yours from F9 and will probably pay less too.
    shinyribs, mikel42 and Millwright98 like this.
  9. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Well it seems they were never a major sponsor. They may had given items to raffle out but no major sponsorship.
    CDN Rick likes this.
  10. Scratch

Scratch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think "Local" is used in a very general way, what's "Local" to you in Ontario (For example) is not "Local to someone living Alberta. So take it with a grain of salt.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to me you want it both ways, the seller 9supposedly) charges you even less than F9 and then sends lots of $ to support your pet project. Or...to subsidize your own riding, perhaps?
    The competitive nature of the business world doesn't tend to work that way, at least not for very long.
    While I find I enjoy most discussion around riding, this has become quite polarizing and political.....too much so, methinks.
    Night_Wolf and gpfan like this.
  12. mikel42

mikel42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming guys. I want this thread to go for at least a couple more months.
  13. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I understand and wholeheartedly agree with the points @CDN Rick is making. The Amateur Off Road “Circuit” is a community. And honestly, there are very few guys that are ever going to be headed to Erzburg next year or Romaniacs the year after.

Those that do it, do it for the love of the sport. There are guys like Rick, that are good enough to get some dealer sponsorship. We’ve got a few down here in the maritimes - but usually the manufacturers and dealers are putting a lot of that money up for guys to race. And they aren’t getting a full “ride”.

It costs a huge amount of money to run a series. For 150 participants, the Promoter here spends in the ballpark of 6K per event. That covers Land Rental, Insurance, Timing Equipment, Fuel and Trophies. Each event has on average 120 riders.

Let’s do the math: 75 participants pay $50. The remainder pay $25 (youth) = $5000. Geez. We’re a $1000 short. Now, for us, the race series was supposed to be a Fund Raising activity for the Provincial Association. Already it’s a loss leader for memberships. It would not be possible to put this on for members without some sponsorship dollars.

Rick never identified his sponsors. I’m not good enough to be sponsored. (The guy that comes in last generally isn’t worth putting money into).

I saved money in my tire and parts budget last year by shopping local. You can choose to believe it or not... and the dealer I used just added the KTM/Husqvarna line and has a big new building. They continue to grow.

I’m passionate about the racing and the riding. I’m passionate about fostering newer riders and those that are entering the sport. I’m passionate about seeing the families camping, enjoying themselves and the numbers increasing year after year.

Nobody is telling you not to spend your money at F9. It’s your money. It’s your choice.

Oh look. Another obtuse overgrown cock hair.
    shinyribs and mikel42 like this.
  14. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Please don't ever look up my race times!!!! :deal
    Sometimes I'm fast enough to beat the guys who DNF!!! :muutt

:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    shinyribs likes this.
  15. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most consecutive DNFs in one season. This guy.

I’d consider finishing a serious accomplishment. Although, I do have the largest cheering section for a guy who never finishes.
  16. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I truly am honoured good sir. :bow
    You average 1.4 posts per year. :deal
    Clearly you only contribute when you find it absolutely mandatory. :type
    I appreciate your dedication to your cause. :beer
    Downright admirable. :super

You'z gunna haves to tri harder dan dat tuu git rid uf mi thow :wave
  17. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    TEAM CANOODIA!!! :clap
    Millwright98 likes this.
  18. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    10 pages of mostly JM.Wow.....!:lol3
    yamalama, gpfan and 250senuf like this.
  19. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    Ah @CDN Rick why you gotta be like that man, you goin locco
  20. mikel42

mikel42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe it’s all that fame and fortune from being sponsored?
    CDN Rick likes this.