Rant About Shops

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CDN Rick, Jan 2, 2020.

1. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    Yeah. This was a debate and discussion, but has kind of devolved into some name calling and schoolyard taunts.
    gpfan likes this.
  2. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Woof.
    If my head ever gets too big just feel free to post video, pictures, or maybe even lap times of me on any form of motorcycle.
    Any misconceptions of competency will quickly vanish for anyone unlucky enough to see them.
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that’s what’s those that aren’t involved don’t get. It’s not about making the podium. It’s not about the lap times. (I mean, it is..)

For me - it’s about being at the track, the camaraderie with the other riders and offering help, advice and teasing throughout the weekend. A few beers around the fire doesn’t hurt either.

@CDN Rick talked about community? Here’s a good example. After a 3 year break from competing (combination of being on the organization side and my own health issues) I returned to Hare Scrambles in New Brunswick. I had a bunch of guys that raced the same class as me in NS make the trip to race and support me. I also ended up with a huge cheering section. Not bad for a guy that came almost last.

The support from Sponsors (and Sponsors aren’t necessarily bike shops) makes it easier to have a grassroots racing community.
    Millwright98 likes this.
  4. Scratch

Scratch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to online shopping, job losses and the like.

All Carlton Cards and Papyrus stores closing within weeks
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canad...papyrus-stores-closing-within-weeks-1.4778542

Most of the closures will take place over the next four to six weeks, Schurman Retail Group CEO Dominique Schurman told CTVNews.ca in a statement.
    Another 178 locations will close in the U.S., bringing the total to 254 stores employing approximately 1,400 people.

And

Apparel retailer Bench to shutter all Canadian stores
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/apparel-retailer-bench-to-shutter-all-canadian-stores-1.1377921
    “We are closing our bricks-and-mortar stores to focus more on our e-commerce business as well as our key wholesale customers,”
  5. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    And Fuck Lowe's too.....!:evil
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lowes-rona-closures-1.4892055
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been reported that retail margins are quite a bit lower in Canada than the US, which may explain why so many US based companies have lost their arses coming to Canada.
    Night_Wolf and gpfan like this.
  7. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Like Target eh?

Got a few electric bills, a few heating bills, realized how frugal us Canadians are, how much it cost to build or remodel all these stores at once, and QUIT.
    Coulda told them

Thats why I have no problem spending at F9.
    I hope they stay
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Fuck Target too! The one in Vernon was pretty funny! Huge store....very little stock and more people at their Starbucks than in the aisles!

CT took over.....same floor tiles but typical CT....aisles are full of so called "on sale" stuff.I ran in last week,a minute to check the flyer turned into 5-10 minutes of me being apostrophed then listening to some old coot ranting about the cheap shit they sell.Broken wood handled car window ice scraper? 1970ish style?:lol3...funny he was buying 2 more! I finally told him to go to Dollarama....got my shit and GTF outta there!

I miss the old pre-Lowe's Ronas.I don't need much anymore but they were always my go-to! Lowe's just like Home Creepo stock? Sure supports the American manufacturers!

And DO NOT get me going about Home Creepo free shipping anywhere in Canada.They don't have a fucking clue about where some of us may live!:lol3

Canada Post? Only thing here is the garage/Autoparts/Post Office.I support local....Bosch parts from the "postmaster" and tires....sprockets...chains...etc...from Fortnine! I'll ask him how much CP gives him to handle 4 tires?
    gpfan likes this.
  9. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What else do you do when snow bound and the beer is running out???
  10. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, shop on line :lol3
  11. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I ordered my SIDI Adventure Gore-Tex boots from Germany. I paid 5% GST as I live in Alberta & we don't have PST here. Yes I could have purchased them locally for $300 more (more than the 18% tariff) :csm would that help YOU People

I ordered the racks & PLX cases from Italy at a savings of almost $500 (far in excess of the 18% tariff) , & YES I paid GST when they arrived. Maybe I should buy from YOU People, who want to rip me off :deal

When I purchased the luggage & racks for my 07 Wee Strom, the local dealer (GW Cycle Calgary) offered a FAIR price; yes it was a "bit" more, but not $500 more, hell it wasn't even $200 more

I have NEVER asked a retailer or seller online to "fudge" my bill/invoice to save on taxes. I don't race, I don't trail ride & have absolutely NO interest in participating or even watching those who do. Give me a fair price, with a "decent" turn around time & I WILL buy local. Try to fuck me, without the benefit of a "kiss" & I'll shop online :mrskbasa

I'll be finalizing the details on my V85 TT Travel purchase on Saturday; I will be very clear with the dealer, that the better his prices are, the more "accessories" he will sell to me; I have no issue with them making a profit, but if his prices are double, what I can order it for from the Excited States, guess where I'll be shopping? I am an educated consumer, know what I want, & know what US/world prices, plus shipping, convert to in Cdn dollars :deal
    powdrdog, MFS, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  12. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Come to Alberta; 4 motorcycles insured, 2006 VS1400 Intruder, 2014 Honda CB 500x, 2017 Honda GROM (The-Filly's) 2018 Honda GROM (mine) pay $1048 a year. The_Filly is a new rider (1 season) & is named as the principle rider on the 2017 GROM, & her portion of the policy is less than what I pay for my GROM. I am expecting a bit of an increase when I sell the CB 500X in favour of the V85 TT Travel
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    +1
    Looking at getting a SxS this spring... between aliexpress, amazon, and a couple other places that sell Yamaha Wolverine stuff, I have about 45-50 different parts in "carts".

No better time to online shop than when it's -11teen, watching some hockey, while sipping on some Screech.

MGV8, Cal and Night_Wolf like this.
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Pleasantly surprised today @ the local Moto Guzzi dealer; he knew all about AF1 out of Texas & his prices were very competitive on the parts I wanted. He was a little over on a cpl & a little under on the others. Told him to order all the items I asked about. They couldn't find a listing for the K&N air filter in their parts catalogue, but I did give him the part # & they will get back to me.
    MFS and Cal like this.
  15. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    i am Canadian.
    i apologize for the misbehaviour within. :lol3
    Maggot12 and MGV8 like this.
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Another crappy day outside and thinking about another hobby of mine.. Fishing. Specifically, kayak fishing.

Just bought some tackle from aliexpress for the upcoming season. I suppose I could have drove the 3kms across town to Bass Pro and paid 4 times as much. I think they support some fishing tournaments that I never partake in.

Only caveat, it may take 3 months to get here from China. Good thing I have the forethought to order this stuff in January.

Before some of you get all upset for sending money overseas..

I do spend money locally, especially if it's made here...

20200126_202358.jpg
    powdrdog, knight, Night_Wolf and 3 others like this.
  17. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Found another $600 cdn in accessories that I want for the soon to be arriving V85 TT Travel. I dropped a message to my salesman, asking for prices; if he's competitive, he'll get the business, if not, I'll be shopping overseas :deal This would be the same store, I ordered the bags & racks, from for my CB 500X, so it will be interesting to see how the pricing shakes out
    Cal likes this.
  18. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    @Maggot12 ... This summer we should ride to Nictaux, grab a few bottles at the distillery ( I'm a fan of the rootbeer shine) and do a little fishing in the area before returning ..speckles and browns .. :)
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for that...

I usually get a bottle at the events they show up too at Exibition Park. Haven't tried the Root beer. And I haven't done nearly as much motorcycle tripping and fishing as I'd like.

20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I heard that, and I've never been. May have to take that in.

Although it's only 2km from the house, so not much of an excuse for a ride, and I don't believe the trout fishing is very good... :lol3

Millwright98 likes this.