Rant About Shops

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CDN Rick, Jan 2, 2020.

1. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    That might drive you to the shop that actually does help me out.

I’ve very specifically refrained from mentioning them as I don’t want this to be about what you seem so convinced it’s about.

If you disagree with me that’s fine. I’ve never told anyone what to do. I’ve just suggested ways I believe could build our own community into a more lively place.

If you don’t agree, and you want to be a lone participant in this pastime that’s fine. Go have fun! Ride the wheels of your bike man! Buy everything you can find online! But please don’t come in here swearing at me, and accusing me of something we both know I haven’t done.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  2. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Canadian Tire - what have those cheap bastards ever done for me? All they ever want is money for JumpStart. I've got so many friggin' Jump Starters in my garage I don't have room for my bikes!!! I guess the upside is that I could probably Jump Start a D9 at -50C.
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you always this big of an Insufferable Shitwhistle? Or does your reading comprehension just plain suck?

This is the forum that stretches from St John’s to BC. Rick never listed his sponsor - I know who it is... and like him, I won’t share the name.

Rick pointed out that F9 doesn’t support the Off Road Community. As someone who helped run an off road race series - I know how much it costs. If there aren’t sponsors for these events, they just wouldn’t happen. If that’s not your thing - fine. There are very few participants that are full sponsor riders on the amateur circuits.

Spend your money where you want. That’s your prerogative.
  4. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much does it cost to run an off road race? Any idea?

How much are dealers giving in sponsorship?

How much would it cost if race if there were no sponsorships?

I guarantee that if there were no Sponsors for events - no one would be able to afford to go.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  5. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    That's why I spend all of my money at Brewer's Retail.
    powdrdog, ommoran and shuswap1 like this.
  6. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    As a retail involvement. My favourite are YOU PEOPLE who think big box stores are the best prices, yet call the little guys to get your FREE advise on how to fix your brand of bike. YOU PEOPLE all want your stuff today, not sure you’ll be riding today, but ok? YOU PEOPLE. Want the best price around.

Ok now let’s talk business. If YOU PEOPLE have to have it today, means I have to stock it until you are good and ready to come and buy it, even though I can likely get it delivered next day, and only pay for it when I order it. YOU PEOPLE want the best prices. Ok so if I make a larger order for bulk or multiple quantities I get cheaper shipping from my overseas suppliers, but YOU PEOPLE need it today, can’t wait a week? As a business, we can’t get away without paying taxes and tariffs on parts ordered from over seas, which I can pretty much guarantee you that you as a consumer have a 50% chance of not paying, someplace in this thread, someone bought some sidi boots from Europe, I didn’t see a mention of them having to pay the 18% tariff on them, so in a way those boots are here illegally? How often you people ask to get parcels sent for a lesser value then they are worth? Saving money yes, criminal yes, guilty of im sure I have. There are few angels among us here so quit being dicks about the OP original post and try to understand what he is saying. Big box stores are not the be all and end all, and neither are LBS but at the same time there are lots of LBS that are focused and friendly shops willing to help you and only ask that you give them a shot in return.
    Brtp4, Ymirtrials and C-Stain like this.
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure WHO you are calling out here. In over 50 years of riding and wrenching (and operating small businesses) I have never called a shop looking for advice. It usually takes F9 10-12 days to get my stuff to me in BC, so I usually order before I actually need items.
    The single greatest asset to almost any event is the volunteers that put forward their time and expertise.
    Night_Wolf, MGV8, sturgeon and 3 others like this.
  8. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Freakin AMEN brother! :deal:beer
  9. NOVA_F850GSA

NOVA_F850GSA Stogie smokin' Whiskey drankin' Suthirn' "Outlaw"

Oddometer:
    Well boys, if You're looking for someone who loves to volunteer (like last 21yrs in the service wasn't enough, lol)...I'm game IVO: VA, MD, PA, NC, WV.

And from time to time I may be able to help out with light sponsorship
    Night_Wolf and shuswap1 like this.
  10. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we could just channel this energy into getting rid of ICBC .
    Bayner, squonker and shuswap1 like this.
  11. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    Trade ya. Come try ON
    Night_Wolf and Adanac rider like this.
  12. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt it's worse , maybe the same . Is it government run ?
  13. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Calling a shop happens all the time. Someone has an electric issue and they want you to send them schematics and are angry when you cannot. Or they have a problem and ask for some help as they're stranded when it doesn't solve the problem, they call back for more free advice.

It's part of the deal and I'm generally OK with it.

As for the parts question, having the most needed thing in stock is common sense. Even some not so common things. But keeping something in stock for years is expensive as is stocking for a model that's 5 or more years old. Not all manufacturers offer overnight but most can get something in a couple of days.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  14. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    It isn’t government run. But prices are the same or higher than BC.

Also. I actually laughed out loud at you “channel this energy” comment. That’s hilarious!! :imaposer
  15. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    2 drivers in the house, both clean records, driving for many years, 2 cars, 3 bikes. Approx $5000/year total. Oh and wait when you sell a bike, ya we didn’t charge you enough as we charge a monthly rate, but that only applies if you keep it insured all year so because you sold bike before the end of term you owe us another $300
  16. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeepers you guys, stop talking about insurance or ommoran is going to come back.....:dirtdog

:D
    MGV8, ommoran, mikel42 and 1 other person like this.
  17. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    Like I ever went away..... :rayof

I'm not going to get into an argument about which province has shittier auto insurance. That's a bit of a fools errand and not the topic of this thread... :-)
    powdrdog, MGV8 and Ymirtrials like this.
  18. Scratch

Scratch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bit of a side rant here, apologies in advance.....

Where ever you choose to spend your hard earned dollars is up to you. However there are larger and much further reaching implications of this On-Line shopping trend, be it for Motorcycle parts or anything else for that matter. We are (Or more accurately HAVE) become a society of 'Instant Gratification'. I want it NOW and I can go online and get it NOW. Well not really, allow 2-3 days for delivery, but the feeling of filling up a virtual shopping card and checking out is quite the same IMHO. No need to interact with another human being, no need to leave the comfort of your home, no need to deal with crowds or salespeople, what could be better? If only the delivery would happen in hours and not days I suppose would be the only improvement on the whole experience. But whatever..... Do what you want, it's your call, and more importantly your money. I'm not going to say you have to do one thing or another.

For me however, and this is just me, there are much deeper implications to all of this. Workers are being replaced with automation at an ever increasing rate, anywhere and everywhere and not just factory floors. Walk into your local McDonalds and there's automated ordering, hell you don't even have to leave your car or talk to the drive thru people, you can order online form your phone and have them bring it out to you. Check out at a store recently? You scan your own stuff, and bag it yourself, not a cashier in sight, Home Depot same... I was at the Edmonton Motorcycle show this past weekend. Parking attendants are all gone now, it's an automated process, hit the buttons, tap your debit or credit card and off you go. Bose has just announced they are closing 119 Retail stores across North America due to and I quote "Bose said that it doesn't need brick-and-mortar stores because its customers are buying their products online." So say at least 3 employees at each store? Conservative estimate at that, there over 350 People who are now out of a job and looking for work. How many more retail outlets will be following suit it in the next few years?

Yeah sure I hear you say that it's low end retail / service industry jobs and it makes economical sense to eliminate those jobs from a corporate standpoint, increases profits and keep costs for the consumer low right? I cannot disagree with that.

I ask you to look at it from another direction. Those low paying, probably not very rewarding jobs (If we are being honest) do really suck. I know I did my fair share of them when I first entered the work force, it was the worst, standing all day, answering the same questions, long hours, holidays were the worst when you are working retail, but it did serve a purpose. It taught me some important lessons in life, to show up for a shift on time (Or usually early) to deal with surly customers and smile when all you really wanted to do was throat punch the idiot on the other side of the counter, to deal with managers / shift supervisors who were complete assholes, to get the job done as it was what was required for the paycheque. More importantly it gave me a record of employment, experience, something to show future employers that I was in fact reliable, would show up on time (Or early) put in the effort to get the job done even if it meant staying a little after my shift was over, that I would do not only do the easy work but the crappy work too, and do it do the best of my ability. Eventually I was able to leverage those crappy jobs into better jobs, and those into even better jobs. A work ethic that I maintain to this day.

So whats in store for future generations. I have three nieces and a nephew all of whom will, hopefully, within the next five to ten years be entering the workforce, if there are jobs for them that is. But with all of the lower / entry level jobs being either replaced with technology like self checkouts, and stores closing as online shopping takes over, where will they go to gain that same work experience? How many people will be applying for those increasingly rare entry level positions? When you can replace 119 Stores with what is probably 10 or 20 people at a warehouse in some country where labor is cheap at twice the price? What prospects does the next generation(s) have to look forward to?

In 2015, worldwide McDonalds had 420,000 employees in 2015 (McDonalds proper not franchises) also started rolling out those Self Serve Kiosks in their restaurants. Three years later In 2018 the number of employees dropped to 210,000. So they managed to drop half of their workforce. Half, over 200,000 people got shoved to the curb in a matter of three years. And that's just McDonalds. Think about that for a minute or two.

Anyway, you get the idea here by now I'm sure. Yes, I agree 100% that Online shopping is a hassle free way to get your stuff delivered to your door in a couple of days. And Automated kiosks and self serve checkouts are here to stay, but at what cost? Eventually we as a society are going to have to pay a price for all of this automation and convenience.

End Rant.....
    powdrdog and Ronzo69 like this.
  19. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Scratch, I think you have posted in this thread previously and I felt like jumping in a few times. And now I am.

I will do “my” little rant as they’re called in this thread first then go to what I quoted..

For me it’s a very conflicting thread.
    I have said elsewhere (other threads) that if we don’t support our local motorcycle dealers, including accessory sellers, we would be left with nowhere to buy motorcycles. I think I was referencing guys who were pushing the idea of going to Italy and other overseas sellers to save on their gear. To me that’s too extreme and if everyone did, we definitely would be without many sources at all.

IMO We need BOTH local dealers and repairs shops; AND online sellers.
    Myself, it’s a 4 hour drive/ride to a motorcycle dealer.
    Unless I go into USA, which I do.
    I have went to local Honda dealer (ATV & power equipment) and if I have a Honda part number, they can get it. I have ordered many OEM Honda parts there, and on a centre stand he beat online price..
    He is smart enuff to see “ some” smaller profit for 1 minutes work is better that zero.
    But realistically I have to go to F9 or Zilla for a lot of stuff and feel NO guilt cause they are part of the motorcycle community in my mind.

As to the quote...
    I am in no way disputing your figures but something seems out of wack?

I basically only see the local McD and the ones in Thunder Bay and Winnipeg (where the closest motorcycle dealers are) plus about 100 different ones in the northern US states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Dakotas, etc.
    Told my wife I “have” to stop there...for a buck I get —coffee, wifi, clean table and washroom, and filtered ice water for my bottle.

One thing they all have in common, every one of them,
    HELP WANTED,
    some are almost desperate .

I don’t understand ? Did workforce drop cause no workers or?
    Night_Wolf, B10Dave and ommoran like this.
  20. Scratch

Scratch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From 1908 to 1940, the Sears Modern Homes Program offered complete mail-order houses to the would-be homeowner

Hey @borderlinebob

The first line was "Where ever you choose to spend your hard earned dollars is up to you". And for some the option of hitting up a local dealer, shop, hardware store, Best Buy, whatever is not as simple as one may first assume, so my apologies for not being clear on that point. For folks in the more rural areas of this country (Or any country for that matter) a quick trip to the store can be a three or four hour round trip. So the advent of On-Line shopping is, for some anyway, a literal god send, being able to "Order In" damn near anything you want saves a lot of time and effort, Hell From 1908 to 1940, the Sears Modern Homes Program offered complete mail-order houses! So ordering things thru the mail has a long and interesting history to say the least.

And it seems we agree on the main point of "that if we don’t support our local motorcycle dealers, including accessory sellers, we would be left with nowhere to buy motorcycles" on that we do agree.

So, to be clear, On-Line ordering, for some is more than just a convenient way to get product, it's a huge time and more importantly money saving exercise.

If however, like myself you live in a larger urban area (Edmonton in my case) and you pass by 2 or 3 dealers (Hardware stores, Best buy's, Radio Shacks whatever) on your commute to and from the office every day, then why not stop in and say hello to get what ever it is you are looking for / wanting? I guess that's the point I'm trying to make here.

As to the quote? Which one? From Bose? It was taken form here....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/16/business/bose-retail-store-closures/index.html

The McDonalds Staffing numbers? Here....

https://www.statista.com/statistics/819966/mcdonald-s-number-of-employees/

Implementation of the Self Serve Kiosks at McD's?

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-kiosk-vs-cashiers-photos-2018-3

and here....

McDonald's started rolling out ordering kiosks at its US locations in 2015, and the chain hasn't looked back since: by 2020, most of its 14,000 locations will have kiosks installed. It plans to add the kiosks to 1,000 stores every quarter for the next two years, according to CNBC.Jul 26, 2018

As to the "Help Wanted" thing, that's not an easy one to answer from economics, summer time vs. school year, list goes on and on. One can throw in "Millennials" too.....
    powdrdog likes this.