Rant and Build: NOTMYBIKE... builds a super light F650-R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by notmybikemodelname, Jun 22, 2010.

1. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I tend to do my work piece-meal, particularly as my bike is also my daily commuter vehicle. I figure I'll take care of the kickstand (which is REALLY annoying me since I keep bending the foot on rocks) first. For me, even that little fab job is probably a full weekend's worth of work. Yes, I'm disorganized, slow, and a bit sloppy too (or so my wife tells me). I'm also not much of a welder, although so far I haven't had any of my welded parts actually fail on me. Replacing that lower sub-frame can be a story for another day.
  2. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Here's an old side shot showing most of the mod I did before the new mods.

[​IMG]
  3. JDLuke

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I don't know if I'm tackling this one before the Eastern Rendezvous, although I probably should. I also managed to break the heel loop off my existing stand a couple of days ago, so I kind of HAVE to start grinding and melting metal soon.
  4. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Here's a closer look of how I mounted it.

[​IMG]
  5. JDLuke

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. It looks like the only actual frame mod is that extra bit added for the tapped hole? The rest was done at the bracket level I guess?
  6. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Yep. The frame is not thick enough to bolt the stand to without adding thickness. You might even be able to do it without modding the pipe, not sure. I believe the stand was $35 including shipping.
  7. JDLuke

Oddometer:
    Apparently their prices have increased a bit... Kickstand kits are all listed at 110 bucks, and there's nothing explicitly listed for the DR400.

I'm thinking this is probably the one though, it's listed for Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha:

[​IMG]
  8. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    That looks like the one. Buy it off E-bay, it's about $20-25 cheaper.
  9. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    If you really want to go cheap take the footpeg hanger to a welder to have an extra piece welded on and bend a bit. Then just put a trail bike stand from a wrecker on it. I'm going to give this a try with a lightweight stand.
  10. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Detailed pencil-drawings (greyscale with shading) of the idea please :thumb

pics of the process/ finished product will also work :D
  11. tmotten

Oddometer:
    Ha ha .... Mate, I'm stuck in the body work at the moment. So am only dreaming about fiddling with little things like that. I've got the peg brackets at the welder at the moment to move the pegs back. But just go to your local dealers (not KTM) and have a look how the trail bikes do it. My wife's TTR has it that way. My DRZ to I think. Just imagine leaving enough steel to mount this type of mount. Although I reckon you could also do it with a trail tech stand bolted to the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is nothing stopping you bolting or welding the mounting plate of products like this on this extra steel on your peg bracket. But if the steel is already there, why not use it?

[​IMG]

My only concern is whether this type of mount is strong enough to life the rear wheel off the ground though. It would need to take the whole weight of the bike.
  12. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I just did on my bike taco.
    I welded a kick stand lug off an old road bike to my frame (i extended it back a bit to clear the new under peg exhaust) then used a kick stand from a wr450.

Light enough that it wont flail around on rough country but strong enough to lift the rear wheel off the ground.
  13. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    And the required upload of pics is coming shortly :dunno :D
  14. tmotten

Oddometer:
    What wrong with the pickies I put up? Don't tell me I still need to paint you a picture? :evil

Righto, so I'm nearly happy with the finish of the plug but am starting to lose patience now. Frinkin dropped the thing to, so now there is a crack :splat The bloody wing is just hanging on and I'm hoping the weight of the mould materials won't force the crack to open and fill it with resin. Might need to do that bit last and try and support it.

Anyway, got the tooling gelcoat and resin but was wondering about the curing procedure within my time constraints. Bit worried about aligatoring and the fact that I've got 1 shot at this. I'd like to do this during the week but this means there is a lot of curing time for the layers of gelcoat. I was thinking of putting 3 layers of gelcoat brushed on which means overnight curing at about 80 degrees. Is this curing time between layers to long? I've read that tooling gelcoat hasn't got wax in it, so adhesion shouldn't be an issue I'm thinking.
  15. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Draw, not paint :deal

Nah, I was talking to DRjoe who said he'd already done it. I'm more of a visual individual so I like pictures. Monkey see monkey do :ear
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    well it kinda just looks like a wr kick stand on a exc. :lol3
  17. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    but because you asked so nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They don't really show anything useful
  18. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :thumb
  19. tmotten

Oddometer:
    What's the trick with covering a clay plug with epoxy resin? I'm using standard hardening clay and let it dry a bit so the surface is hard enough to brush the epoxy but got heaps of air pockets under the resin skin even a week later.
  20. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Was just wondering the same thing, thinking that I'd like to start using clay. Is plasticene what you guys are using?