Rate your Harbor Freight Tool Experiences!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    Can anyone give a long term use thumbs up or down for the HF autodarkening helmets?

I saw some earlier positive comments around 2012 ? but how do they hold up to time?
    Achro likes this.
  2. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I have a early/old HF auto darkening helmet and have experienced lag in it darkening and eye pain after extended use.
    I now just close my eyes for an instant, before squeezing the trigger and the arc begins to compensate for it.
    Also sometimes when welding inside/behind something the auto darkening shield "receiver" is shadowed from the arc and does not darken...:baldy
    :lol3
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had one for 5-6 years. It needed a battery last year, but otherwise has worked fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DeepBarney likes this.
  4. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Only had mine for a year or two, but it's always worked fine for me.
    Old_Lion likes this.
  5. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used mine at least 5 years. No problems and never changed the battery.
  6. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies to the welding hood question.

I picked one up last night and I think mine is defective as I can't TIG weld perfectly with it. :1drink

Ok Ok It worked great, I just need to get some practice.
  7. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got one recently. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?! One of my favorite tools to use in the garage :D No more pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump...pump, pump, pump pump :D
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    i had one, after 4 years of abuse (small engine mechanic/ and commercial Garage door installer) one of the LCD wires to the auto darken broke... after that i bought a Metal Man from Harbor freight and the difference in response time from the HF (blue flame one to be specific) to the red flames Metal Man hood is night and day.... so far i am 3 years into the metal man and going strong.
    kenstone and DeepBarney like this.
  9. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    I try to remember to put mine outside in the sun the day before to charge the battery.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That definitely helps!
  11. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    A wise man you certainly are.

The the blue flame one only has two sensors whereas the red one and the Vulcan branded one have four sensors and have slightly faster reaction times (if the specs are to be believed). I've read on different forums and heard from people who weld more than me that if you're going to be Tigging the other two are the ones to get. For Mig and Arc I have had no problem with the blue flame one.
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Peg board hooks work well... :D
    falcn, DeepBarney and B02S4 like this.
  13. barlowrs

barlowrs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Use hfqpdb.com for all coupons. its always updated and has latest coupons. sometimes they have a hard time scanning them from phone here, so in that case, just read them the numbers above the bar code and they manually enter them.

There is also a hfcoupons app (at least on android), that is very useful you can add coupons to your "cart" so all the coupons you are using are right there rather than having to search for different ones at the register. On this app, they can scan them right there on your phone easily.
    local1 likes this.
  14. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    That is a 3rd Party app. As such, not every coupon will work, even if otherwise valid by appearance on your phone's screen. Only when the cashier scans the bar code(s) will the coupons' legitimacy (or not) be evident.

Just yesterday the store manager honored a "bad" coupon for me, as a one-time good deal. She advised me that the app isn't blessed by HF, so to speak, and that it's possible that some or all of my chosen coupons (some of which are uploaded by contributing users) might not be accepted by the store computer. If they do work, good. If not, no recourse.

The foregoing is also true for the web-based HF coupon database.

Just passing this on from my experience with it.

-------------------

I did sign up for the store's official text alerts. I receive, on average, one 20% savings code every week. The only downer is that they tend to be valid on that weekend only. It's easier for me to get to the store on a weekday. Once in a while the code will be valid for a given Fri/Sat/Sun...but that's it.
  15. safeTnerd

safeTnerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My years old Harbor Freight Pittsburgh 3/8" torque wrench failed yesterday, it just turned itself into a ratchet wrench. I returned it to HF and they exchanged to a new one. No receipt, no questions asked, they didn't even look at the old one. Works for me.
  16. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/34-and-3-oz-airbrush-kit-62294.html

I'm fixing defects in the tank of my 2006 KTM 950 Adventure. The paint is a two part Standox (jade base plus peal) and then clear.

I have a Finex FX1000 detail gun but the defect areas were small (1/8" x 1/8") and even after removing the clear from the surrounding area I was still dealing with a strip of maybe 1/4" around the side of the gas cap and 1/8" around the top of the gas cap. Masking and using the detail gun just wasn't working as I couldn't get a good blend.

I'm surprised at how well this worked. After 20 minutes idle you could tell that the paint was starting to dry but widening the flow valve would clear it. Anything longer than this and I'd clear the gun using thinner.

I wish HF sold additional bottles as being able to easily switch paint is one of the advantages of siphon over gravity but I was able to find them for $2.70 shipped on AliExpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998902648.html

Attached Files:

17. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have a 1/4 and 1/2 that i turn in at least once a year... need to bring the 1/4 in because the ball bearing fell out for the socket retention.... but i bring em back routinely to get a fresh calibrated one....LOL
  18. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have 3 of the dual action ones.... thats 6 different color cups, and 3 separate guns to play with.... LOL

https://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html
  19. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    You take them in in working order for fresh ones?
  20. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    If yes, I doubt HF does anything other than throw the old ones away. So you're throwing something working away and getting something newly produced.

As a society less we reuse/repair and the more we consume, the more energy we'll need and the worse global warming gets.

We can all do a bit and a million little bits will add up.