Rate your Harbor Freight Tool Experiences!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    Snap-On only warranties their torque wrenches for a year. At 500 bucks I never could bite that bullet.
    local1 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if I should have this one calibrated. :lol3

K-Mart brand, no metric and made in the USA says yes it is from the 70's.

I held onto it all these years because it makes a good breaker bar.

IMG_20190217_092341951[1].jpg
    DRZ RIDER, local1, Mambo Dave and 3 others like this.
  3. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’d be amazed at how accurate it probably still is - those beam types don’t go out of calibration very easily
    Grreatdog likes this.
  4. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was my thought as well, even after using it as a breaker bar I bet it's still pretty accurate, assuming you didn't go way over the maximum measurement (unlikely) either way it's a tool still being used that probably cost less then $15, 40 years ago
    SmittyBlackstone and Grreatdog like this.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is still accurate. It is dead nuts on my expensive old Craftsman click type. Unless they are both equally out of calibration. :lol3

It is kind of sad to think back to even inexpensive Kmart tools tools once upon a time being made in the USA and quite good. We didn't have a Sears and I couldn't afford tools from NAPA. So most of my old teenager tools came from a Kmart. Most are still in my tool box or relegated to the boat or truck tool kits.
  6. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Titanium high speed steel step bits any good? I need to bore a 1” hole in 1/8 aluminum.
  7. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a couple of them. They have worked OK.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Beam or bar type torque wrenches are far more likely to be and remain accurate than any other type, assuming they are built with a good scale. Unless the beam/bar is bent (yielded) due to over loading, they’ll read the same from now until forever. The main downside is that the user needs to read the scale when using.

Click style wrenches are way more convenient, but far more likely to fail or be inaccurate.

It’s really too bad Harbor Freight doesn’t sell beam torque wrenches. I’m sure those would be sweet tools.
  9. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a 1/2” hole with a drill bit and the step bit chewed right through the 1/8”aluminum.The 2 piece set was 6 bucks off of 20 today with super coupon.I’ve had real good luck with Erwin step bits on steel but mine only goes to 1/2”.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Heck with the way they are on prices the beam type would probably be $3 with a coupon! :D
    Lutz and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve had one fail on me, and my current one is dying, but I did figure out why. I would leave the helmet turned on when not in use. That completely drains the internal battery, and damages it. Normally it recharges from the solar cells on the front, which also detect the flash and darken the helmet. When the battery is completely flat it won’t darken for the first few arcs, which is bad obviously.

Leave it in the sun turned off for an hour and it works again. If I remember to turn it off it will usually work the next time. I’m going to open it up and see if the battery can be replaced. My current helmet is 6 years old. The one before that I had bought in 2005 or 2006. Two helmets in 13 years... actually that’s not bad. I beat the fark out of my welding stuff to be honest.

Charles.
    HapHazard and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still have the “benchtop” socket set and wrench set my dad got Me for my 21sr birthday. It was the biggest tool kit Kmart had, and I’ve had it for 20 years now. It’s never failed me, even though I have abused the ratchets and wrenches repeatedly. I’ve tried to replace sockets that have gone missing with benchtop sockets off of eBay, but they’re getting harder and harder to find.

I inherited the same beam torque wrench, and I always double check head bolt torques with it after using a click type torque wrench. it’s still accurate. Any time I see old Kmart tools at garage sales I buy them. They’re better than the stuff you can get nowadays...

Charles.
    SmittyBlackstone and Grreatdog like this.
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    There are only a few tool makers and back in the day places like K Mart, Montgomery Ward's, Penny's and others had quality products made for their private brands. Sears obviously capitalized on their private brand with Craftsman, same with the Kenmore product. I have an old Montgomery Wards torque wrench, they used the name Powercraft on their tools and used to have a legit tool department. Penny's had Penncraft tools.

I had a set of sockets I got from some place, possibly K Mart, that had no labeling other than Made In Japan that were "cheap" in the day, but the sockets were exellent quality. Heaven only knows what discount store where I bought them. Got them around 1972 or so, before Japan became known for some good quality. I also picked up some offset box ends somewhere, around 1975 or so. Still great tools. Oddly enough the box end offsets sold at Harbor Freight look to be a dead on match, made in India and all.
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Check the screws on the head of your 3/8" torque wrench. I used mine yesterday and one dropped on the floor and the other one was backed out a bit.
  15. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Good advice. I periodically check the screws in the heads of my ratchets that have them. Very few of them seemed to get anti seize on them at the factory. So they all get tightened down and a dab of blue 242. I also clean them out and re-grease them at that time.

Edit: thread locker, not anti seize.
  16. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been using the hell out of their 5 mil disposable gloves last few days with a variety of caustic cleaning chemicals. They’ve held up real well - a lot better than the latex exam gloves I bought at Sams Club
  17. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    I like to get the 9mil ones they carry. They hold up well to mechanic work and chemicals in my experience.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too. The 7 and 9 mil are too thick, especially since I dislike gloves in general.
    SmittyBlackstone and HapHazard like this.
  19. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    5 mil for the win! I was in a jam once and bought some at napa.Way over priced.
    The 17” mini magnetic floor sweeper works nicely.
  20. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    I never found the 9's to last any longer than the 5's, and they were bulkier.
    SmittyBlackstone and JimVonBaden like this.