Rate your Harbor Freight Tool Experiences!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 28, 2011.

1. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No please go right ahead and be a dick. Manners has never stopped him from being one?
    DRZ RIDER and bogieboy like this.
  2. JohnE65c

JohnE65c Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    H.F. Hanging Tool Cabinet
    https://www.harborfreight.com/hanging-tool-cabinet-39213.html

Pros:
    Price, especially compared to what else is out there.
    20 gauge, well built and good quality.
    Plenty of adjustable shelves.
    All assembly fasteners provided.
    Perfect size for my needs

Cons: A few cheap pegs provided for pegboard.
    Pegboard hole gap is 15 mm vs. 1".
    Assembly instructions are all but useless (Hell, it ain't a rocket engine anyway).
    No latch or way to keep doors shut w/out locking with key. No knobs to open doors.

Despite the cons, I bought a second one after installing the first. I later replaced the locks with homemade alum. knobs, and magnetic tape for closure.
    IMG_20190813_122100A.jpg
  3. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    some would say that i am really good at being a dick...LOL you can debate the quality stand point all day... bottom line, i now my chrome pittsburgh sockets have been far less prone to stripping than my snapon impact ones... like i said in my previous post, i have had to replace several snapon sockets, but the chrome (color coded metric 3/8 deep to be exact) have yet to show major signs of wear and i have had them longer than the snap ons.... so from MY experience, the pittsburgh sockets are of better quality than snap on.... let that one sink in tooltruck fanbois....LOL the same can be said for my pittsburgh 1/2" drive impact sockets, and my 1/2" drive duralast sockets... have yet to replace any of them.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So now you are going to cyber stalk and insult. Nice! :asshat
  5. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    he didnt insult me.... :roflmaybe keep the tool truck tool banter out of the harbor freight thread and people wouldnt give you a hard time.... or maybe just maybe understand that some of us simply cannot afford the tool truck tools, nor would we buy them if we could afford it... why waste money on something that can be had just as reliable for a 1/4 the cost of tool truck tools.... :ksteve:ksteve
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good advice. I was about to say the same.

As for cyber stalking. He seems to be looking for my posts to toss out insults. Can't seem to keep it in Jo Momma.

PS I am the OP of this thread.
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Have you noticed lately that HF's only coupon freebie is the blue LED flashlight?
    In the Sunday newspaper, magazines and mailers.

No more meters, scissors, screwdriver sets, etc.:(
  8. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.hfqpdb.com/gallery/free

^^^ Selection of free coupons. I don't usually bother with paper coupons anymore. The clerks have never given me any hassle about using the website.
    SmittyBlackstone and JimVonBaden like this.
  9. Dagofast

Dagofast Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I noticed that. My theory is someone must have added a zero to the number of container loads of blue flashlights that they ordered. :hmmmmm

The post above mine does show a nifty website with ALL the free stuff, though. You should bookmark that sucker.
    SmittyBlackstone and HapHazard like this.
  10. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hex washer self-drilling sheet metal screws are a steal.<Haha
  11. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg

$179 .99

image.jpeg

Which say ye?

George
  12. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are ye cutting? And how often?

I do like the 40V Lynxx leaf blower I bought last spring. Much easier and quieter to use than the old gas Toro and a bit more powerful, too. I use it more often since I don't have fuss with hearing protection, gas, oil and mutliple pulls to start. Battery life is better than I expected, using it mainly to get grass clippings and bird seed off a large driveway and to "sweep" the garage and porch. Usually need a recharge every 2-3 weeks.

I'm still skeptical about the Lynxx chainsaw for more than a few cuts at at time on large branches, and small branches for the Bauer. But either might have been handy at our old house. Our trees here are too many and too large for a battery powered saw.
  13. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 120V AC powered pole saw. I've never had much luck with battery powered tools. They work good a little while then the battery goes bad and costs more to replace than an entirely new tool can be bought for.
    The generator needs running anyway, pick it up with the loader and go to the job then use the loader to move the limbs that are cut off.
    Old_Lion and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  14. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for the quality of either, but in general 36/40v tools are a big step up in terms of power and serious usability from 18/30v, and as mentioned can rival gas powered and corded tools. If basic pruning is your plan and/or you think the smaller 20v unit can handle your needs, you may consider using a reciprocating saw with a demo or pruning blade. As long as it's not much bigger than 8" (or old hedge) I use my cordless reciprocating saw instead of my gasser.
    Old_Lion likes this.
  15. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    I have more multimeters now than I have toolboxes. The LED light comes with 3 good remote control batteries. I could use some more of the magnetic trays though.
  16. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
  17. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Yep.

I have literal bag fulls of free multi meters, tape measures and magnetic tool holders in the shed. The free blue oval flashlights are laying about every where I look, and I give away the free headlamps and tarps (these latter two being particularly craptacular, even if they are gratis.)

I do miss the coupons for the free screwdriver sets.

Be advised...
    HapHazard likes this.
  18. Johnny Kilo

Johnny Kilo Sumbeotch

Oddometer:
    This is funny to me. Based on this thread and folks saying those stupid blue lights are decent, I have held onto about 3 of those coupons. The last three visits to the local HF had them all out of stock. None. Three visits now. If the HF Big Order guy ordered too many and they are trying to move them, Colorado Springs is a dry zone!

John
    SmittyBlackstone, tntmo and Tall Man like this.
  19. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We got them all. There are bins full of those blue lights in the backs of both of our nearby stores.
  20. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used an o-ring on my throttle for awhile (between the throttle and bar end weight to reduce vibrations and the return spring) and the o-ring gave out awhile ago, I was looking for a replacement and they were averaging around $5 each, a bit steep in opinion so I was looking around my local harbor freight and saw this assorted o-ring pack for under $10 I get 10 o-rings the exact size I was looking for and a whole lot extra as well 20190828_124859-1.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone and DeepBarney like this.