Rate your Harbor Freight Tool Experiences!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 28, 2011.

1. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    These just arrived today. Quick shipping. Nice personal touch with a signed card from who pulled and shipped them. Plus it came with a sticker (always love it when they include stickers, a guy can't have too many can he) and a 10% discount on carbide bur for die grinders. I like how the discs aren't flat but rather cupped back towards the tool so you're using, so a greater area of the disc is in contact with the work surface and you don't wear down the edge near as quick. If they work well I'm inclined to purchase from them again at the regular price.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my discs today too. I use most of my discs at work, but if I buy em with my own money, they ain't going to work! So it may be a few before I use them, but either way, a great deal, even if they don't last forever. We'll see! Barney, I've never seen a flap disc that didn't have an angle built in.
    DeepBarney and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using benchmark abrasives a few years now, figured lets see if I can find a use for the felt stuff

upload_2019-9-14_18-6-56.png

The benchmark abrasive flap discs last longer than the HF ones, plus T27 vs T29
    Mambo Dave and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use similar polishing pads on my die grinder (with the rock loks or whatever they call them) for polishing stuff fairly frequently. They're nice to have around. Just make sure to use a different pad for each grit compound.
  5. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Really? I can see the higher end brands having it, but none I can remember using have been made that way. Come to think of it, all of the ones in that project farm video were flat.
  6. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    The Harbor Freight bead breaker and tire balancer worked fine for my tire changing project today.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That has been my experience with the 1/2" TW as well, as measured on a Snap-on calibration tool.
  8. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Bought a HF air-hose 'remnant' that is reportedly 8 feet. For my portable air tank it's just what the doctor ordered.

Bought a Pittsburgh Phillip's head screwdriver that was more of a medium-size, magnetic head, for a job that the regular sized Phillip's head screwdrivers couldn't fit in. Worked great - except it hit me that something I've never look for, before, because it was always there was some flat area on the handle. This fucker rolls away, or off of the desk, without hesitation. :rofl It was in a bin as a solo-item along with others. My guess is that it is a pre-cursor to the ones they have listed on the site (and this HF, a newer store that just opened a few months ago) doesn't have anywhere near the selection of screwdrivers listed on the website. First time I've ever gone to a HF where it was apparent that stuff was missing. Maybe it came down to total available space within the store?
  9. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Genius. I bought the pole saw last week but I wouldn't have thought to take the generator out front instead of the 100' extension cord. It worked perfectly and like you said, the generator needed running anyway. My UPS driver is going to thrilled to not be dragging limbs away with his truck. My neighbors, who work on their yard constantly while I drink beer, play with my dog & turn wrenches, even passed on some patronizing compliments.

The pole saw worked pretty well. The blade is very sharp. No idea how long it will last, but it won't get used a whole lot.

The generator is the Predator 3400 that I got almost exactly 1 year ago. The battery just now got to where it won't turn it over anymore :dirtdogbut it starts easily with the pull cord. I'm pleased with everything about it except it is a stone cold mother to start if it runs out of gas.
    shuckinator and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No genius here, far from it. Glad it works for you.
  11. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just watched my neighbor cut down and limb a 30' high, 8" cedar with a HF pole saw. It made the saw cry a few times. But he got the job done.

I was going to offer my chainsaw. But that would have meant me doing the work. And I was thinking of this thread watching him abuse that poor saw.
  12. Dagofast

Dagofast Owner of one clean o-ring.

Oddometer:
    The HF pole saws must work pretty good and the word must be out. The last parking lot sale I went to was during our monsoons and those suckers were going out the door like the free flashlights.
  13. gen1fizzy

Oddometer:
    I considered getting one until I read the reviews. Ended up with a Remington and am very pleased it. That angle of the bar helps a lot about getting it pinched.
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200697126_200697126
  14. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    You might be right. I needed one last fall to do some pre winter trimming i have been putting off for a while. My local store did not have any in stock for a month. I asked one of the workers and he said they sell out as quick as them get them in stock. I ended up buying a similar one at Tractor Supply that was on sale for similar money since i was pressed for time.
  15. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    One thing I learned when using it was that I had no idea how to use it, safely at least. There's not much chance of cutting myself since the saw was at least 5' away even if I dropped it but there is a damn good chance of a limb dropping on my head or knocking the saw out of my hand. I did get it pinched in a branch once because I couldn' quite reach the top of the branch.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still like their zip ties, cheap so you don't mind screwing up and having to cut one off again. Plus that vacuum pump bleeder just made life good again the other weekend when I had to refill and bleed an XT225 front brake. And the hand tools I bought to use at school do fine too.
  17. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be tackling my first A/C repair on a '96 Suburban that will need a complete refill. Any feedback on the Manifold Gauge Set (62707) and Vacuum Pump (96677)?
  18. gen1fizzy

Oddometer:
    I know a guy that has that outfit and claims that it works.
    Ghostyman likes this.
  19. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Manifold gauge set: I’ve got 60806; it works. I had another item number I can’t remember, which also worked, but was replaced on warranty by my current one when a plastic hose seal fell out and went missing. The one I currently have has seals that won’t fall out.

Pump: I’ve got 98076. It works.
    Ghostyman likes this.
  20. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer: