Rate your Harbor Freight Tool Experiences!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, there's no way that will illuminate the dot on your crank pulley, which is the entire purpose of a timing light. 2nd (and more importantly) I like to fuck with shit. If you don't like to fuck with shit, HF (and thus this thread) probably ain't for you.
    DeepBarney and JimVonBaden like this.
  2. muddywater

muddywater Bless Your Heart

Oddometer:
    DeepBarney and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. 2speed

2speed Puching adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like to fuck with shit, probably more than you do, but I don't like wasting time. And the static timing light isn't for illuminating the dot on your pulley. Plus the circuit can be used for a lot of other things.
    kenstone likes this.
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    If you take the time to look back to the original post hacking a free light you'll read about using the light as a STATIC timing light.
    That means not on a running motor/"crank pulley" but rather the moment the points open (the light goes OUT) while slowly turning the points plate with the crank pulley dot lined up with the fire timing mark/engine off.
    :hmmmmm
    CA_Strom likes this.
  5. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got my 20 ton press....
    Went together easy, seems ok.

Attached Files:

local1, SmittyBlackstone and ydarg like this.
  6. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    ^^^ Yes butt we still don’t know if it is powerful enough to crack walnuts.
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    My friend's press like like totally shattered an alloy water pump housing like a Claymore mine going off, pieces blew all over the shop.
    So, I don't think that a walnut is much of a challenge.:D
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    It would be funny though if a walnut killed it. With the inconsistencies of Chinese manufacturing, one never knows. :lol3

I am sure it will be fine and give many years of cracking walnuts... oops, pressing bearings.
  9. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Buy me.....
    IMG_2984.JPG
    -your conscience
  10. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it's basically a visual alarm continuity tester for any non-powered circuits. That 6/12v Circuit Tester is only good for live circuits within it's voltage rating (I suspect anything more than 20v will burn that bulb). I guess if you couldn't use your multimeter/didn't have one/were in an environment where you couldn't hear a faint beep/or were deaf it'd be solid substitute for using a multimeter.
  11. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    NurseBill likes this.
  12. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone and kenstone like this.
  13. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
  14. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DeepBarney likes this.
  15. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I used my press not twice. Once to straighten my handguards, not a problem for it. My son needed a wheel bearing in his Mazda. Since the hub is too big to fit down through the bed of the press (doh!) and I didn't have any big chucks of steel that could hold the carrier up high enough to press the whole mess out, I had to do it the old fashion way, 2 big bricks, torch and a hammer. It came out with about 5 minutes of hits with a 2 pound hammer. However I did press it back in. Not a problem for the press. I'm calling it a win on install.
  16. rdtrvlr

rdtrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I have had two of these and i would not recommend it if the current ones are anything like mine were. The motor is fine, its the pump that is the issue. In my opinion its garbage. The first one i bought the pump vibrated itself apart on the first use ~30 min into cleaning my pool patio. I returned it and the second one finished that job but failed in the same spectacular way when i was washing my house. The killer is it only has a 90 day warranty and i was like a week past that when the second one failed. I made a mistake and did not get the extended warranty, I went to the store and called HF customer service to see if something could be done to no avail. I ended up tossing the thing at my town recycle center.

After that experience i wanted something reliable and ended up getting a Dewalt 3400PSI (made by Simpson) at home depot at the recommendation of my cousin who uses one professionally in his paint company. It was double the money but i have put a lot of use on that one without a single issue in 3 years. It is a much stouter unit with a rebuildable Simpson pump that is oil lubricated and a Honda motor.
  18. rdtrvlr

rdtrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    thx. a former coworker started a power washing business a few yrs ago. he told me to just get one on sale. he claims to have as many problems with the high dollar ones as he does the cheap ones. but then the word maintenance isn’t in his dictionary
  19. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I suspect you are right on the lack of maint issue. He sounds like a friend of mine that has a use/abuse it till it breaks then complain mentality. He has zero understanding of the concept of maintenance.

I feel like this pressure washer is a different thing entirely. The two i had never worked long enough to require any sort of maintenance. For the amount of time i got out of them it cost me ~$5 a minute to use them. My Dewalt on the other hand, change the oil in both the motor and pump annually and put anti corrosion stuff in the pump when im not using it for awhile. Thats all i have done and its been flawless.
  20. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Anyone have one of their titanium brand welders? Kind of want to buy a welder eventually. They have good reviews.
    Troncd likes this.