Rate your Harbor Freight Tool Experiences!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You need one of these...

https://www.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-bearing-adapters-63728.html

I worked my ass off for hours trying to replace the wheel bearing on my son's Jetta, to no avail. Bought this set (or one very similar) for $60 and had it pressed out and the new one installed in about 30 minutes.
    SmittyBlackstone and NurseBill like this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    The anti corrosion stuff really helps the pump. I use it every once in a while on my Yamaha Pressure washer that has a Cat pump. The pump will start to act funny. I put that solution in and it works great again.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have it. They won't remove certain bearings due to the hub not coming out, like my kid's Mazda. Works like a champ putting them in but if you have the knuckle off, the press is much easier.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    NurseBill and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the air compressor rated to 150 psi will actually put out that much pressure?
    I need to be able to inflate my truck tires to 110. I have a 26 gallon HF compressor that won't quite do it. I don't remember what it was rated, and when I bought it I didn't need that much pressure.
    TIA :-)
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will, eventually.
    HeavyMetal and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    I picked up one of the glue-type dent pullers a month or so ago for about $16. I wanted to pull the dent on my Nighthawk tank before I put it up for sale. (I had a $400 estimate from one of those paintless dent removal places - I don't think so). It worked perfectly. You'd have to look really close to see it had ever been dented. So I ended up trading the Nighthawk for a 1985 XL350R. Decent mechanically, but the tank was pretty dented (though super clean inside). Pulled the big dents on that tank too with no problems. It did finally break, but I still got a spare glue gun out of the deal, so I was totally pleased with the purchase.

The Apache cases are a great value. I decided to use them as panniers and a top box for my V-Strom. Modified my Givi mounts for them and the cases are far sturdier than the Givi/Kappa bags I had before. And if one breaks, it's only $50 to replace. I highly recommend - PASS.

IMG_20181207_174700.jpg
  8. 2speed

2speed Puching adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMHO it's a solution looking for a problem. Instead dragging out my soldering iron, disassembling the light, cutting a wire I had to buy anyway, soldering it in and then having this thing that only checks the timing is a fantastic idea from the peanut gallery here instead of having a tool that can check trailer wiring connections, wiring harness connections by sneaking in behind the plug, pierce wiring insulation if you really have to, etc, etc. If you want hands free, hook the alligator clip to the damn end of the tester. Not everything you see on Youtube is genius.
  9. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ Shout at any clouds today?

I bet you're fun at parties.

Jeez, dude. Test circuits with whatever floats your boat. Who gives a shit?
  10. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  11. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the dent puller. I hadn't seen any reviews for using it to pull tank dents before (maybe I'm just sheltered), but glad to hear that it worked out. I suppose the dents were in flatter areas, not on the "high crown" curves?
    Baroquenride likes this.
  12. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    riceaterslc, PA1018 and Mambo Dave like this.
  13. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got one, (in KTM orange of course) and it's a very good toolbox. I've got it full of tools and push it all over the factory where I work. Like the others said, get the side shelf. My only issue is that I paid $239 for mine and the price is now $199
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  15. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I have a yellow VFR which is a one year only color. Kinda hard to find a tank in good condition cheaply and then get it shipped, so I'm going to try one of these.
    Several years ago I had installed a Penske shock and hadn't set the ride height correctly. I had to get off the bike on the rhs and as I did, my foot caught the tail end and the bike slooooowly fell on the rhs. I had a big magnetic tank bag that was sitting on top and one of the magnets put a dent in the tank as a result. I'm still frustrated at myself every time I think about it and would like to remove the dent. Fortunately or unfortunately, now that this might work, pdr guys have all said they can't fix it. I'm going to give this a shot.
  16. Type301

Type301 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 2 in my shop. Both with end cabinets and work shelves on them . Work great. Those are the go to work stations for the crew here.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/145-in-blue-end-cabinet-64450.html

One of the best purchases we have from HF. (Had we know we were going to hang work cabinets on them, we may have just bought more 44" cabinets - we have several of those too.)
  17. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    The one on the NH was right on the side of the tank. There were several on the XL350. One on each side and a few smaller ones around. It won't take out the little ones on the pointy part of the tanks, but overall, I was really impressed.
    HapHazard and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  19. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is an upside to HF stuff I never considered. Several years ago I bought the folding engine hoist and engine stand to do a Cherokee engine swap. Which went perfectly. The $200 pull and pay motor was perfect.

Lately I have been decluttering my garage. So I put them on CL for like $20 less each than I paid with coupons. They sold in an hour to somebody doing the same thing. That is actually significantly cheaper than renting tools given the project took three weekends.

Fittingly, I put the cash in my China bike fund in case I ever decide to go all in. :lol3
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

:ear

I hear Navin Motors is liquidating some assets.