Rate your Harbor Freight Tool Experiences!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not ready for a Harbor Freight bike - yet. But the fixed income period of my life begins in a year. :lol3
  2. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:

Only about a jillion... they're awesome.

The only knock against them is that I bought a red one and maybe a week later the bastards released several more colors. I had no idea that was coming. Man, I really would have loved to have a blue one.

I mean, my red one works fine. But it's not as preeeeeeeeeeeetty.
    SmittyBlackstone and Stasher1 like this.
  3. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Lmao.

My son couldn't understand why I paid an extra $30 for the green Daytona 3 ton floor jack instead of settling for the red Pittsburgh version.
  4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must be the only one who was not impressed with the tool cart, although I had the 4 drawer one (2 big drawers and 2 little ones with the flip top). I used it for a while, but with any sort of weight inside, it felt a bit top heavy. I also don't like chests with drawers that only open when the top is open (can't store anything on top, and still get inside, WTF?) and when I removed that mechanism, the bottom drawer liked to open itself in my slightly crooked garage.

I needed some casters and sheet metal not long ago and sacrificed the tool cart. The drawers, hacked up main body and slides haven't gone in the trash yet if anyone local wants them :-)
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 4 drawer and 5 drawer are totally different as far as quality is concerned.
    Butters, racer1735, ydarg and 3 others like this.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod No comparison!
    DeepBarney likes this.
  7. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Can confirm.
  8. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of the ones I got from HF I returned and just bit the bullet and bought a 60 gal Porter Cable oil filled compressor.
    local1 and Sonny S. like this.
  9. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking I may do the same. I don't need a 60 gallon, but Lowe's has some smaller.
    I had good luck with the Harbor Freight compressor I have but it won't go to high enough pressure.
  10. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    3 different HF tools. Note, one is not appropriate for the job.
    IMG_2501.JPG IMG_2498.JPG IMG_2499.JPG
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    I've wondered if their micrometers were any good. Specifically for sizing shims. What say ye?
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Good enough, especially the metal one, but either is OK. The thing with sims is that you need consistency over accuracy.
  13. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    I use the digital all the time. Being a "shade tree" guy, it actually shocks me how much I use it. And, for my uses, it has worked well. Then again, I'm not building anything for NASA.

I saw one of the (new) white tool carts the other day. And, it was sexy as hell in person.

As happy as I am with my 72", I hope that a white tool cart is in my near future (if I can make some room in the garage).
  14. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean accuracy over precision
  15. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Good to know. Was thinking about that one. Is the 2nd gen crappy too?
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am not familiar with the different generation changes. The difference is fairly easy to see when looking at the two in the store. I have a 5 drawer that I use as my primary toolbox. It holds enough to do most work on bikes and vehicles. I have a secondary tool box for more specialty tools and spares.
    Butters likes this.
  17. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I’m not 100% up to speed and read the article a long time ago but I am fairly certain the “Series 2” HF boxes came out as a result of the Waterloo lawsuit against Chinese boxes to try to prevent them from coming in and competing.

They had to be a certain depth, metal thickness, etc. Basically HF beefed up their smaller chests and boxes to at least what the settlement said to get around it and they’re now the 2nd generation.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Both would be nice. I am more interested in repeatability, so long as they are somewhat accurate.
  19. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Their digital micrometer? Cost about what BMW wants for a bucket/shim for my bike.Micrometer paid for itself the first time I used it and figured out that I could measure them expensive buckets and find variations in thicknes and then could install/move them thinner buckets to get rid of slightly tight valves.

Their digital calipers with the Inch/mm AND fractional inch measurements are also very useful in the shop.Sizing up bolts,holes and matching to the required drill bit?Also make for a rather handy and quick converter from mm to in and fractional.
  20. Tall Man

Tall Man I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub

Oddometer:
    I use the Apache 3800 as a top box on my dual sport. Great value for the money. I considered using a pair of the slightly larger 4800s as side cases (aka panniers), but their sheer tare weight put me off the idea. A set of Wolfman Expedition dry sadddlebags serve in their place.

Perhaps on a road bike like a V-Strom, yes, a set of 3 faux Pelicans would do well.
    DeepBarney and SmittyBlackstone like this.