RATEL engineering design - BMW 650GS/Dakar/Sertao YZ/WR suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Aquatic, Feb 3, 2014.

1. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Aquatic is all over it, but I have ripped springs off the stand as well on rocky trails. I now carry a spare spring, and the little plate, in my tool kit. But that means I'll never loose a spring now. :dunno
  2. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you avoid a puncture?
    Carry spare tubes, a repair kit and a pump!
  3. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, umm, no.....still got a hole in the rear you could put two fingers through! Two patches in the tyre and a new tube while 90 mins went by and the sun went down, limped it straight home in the dark, new tyre the next day and new co2 cartridges to replace the ones I borrowed because the switch and connector on my 12v pump kept failing and it wouldnt pump up. I now carry both 12v pump and co2 cartridges! And I've been thinking to go back to my mini hand pump...not much can go wrong with those and they keep working no matter how many flats you have to fix....just sloooowww.

So is that the next Ratel project....a bike 'toolbox'?
  4. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a puncture on the first commute to work on my Dakar back in South Africa. 3 days after getting it.
    I got 3 more punctures in the 3 months after that.
    All on decent roads. No rough stuff.

I got the shits and decided to build a toolbox.
    4"PVC pipe with a cap and screw on lid. mounting brackets were cut on a CNC mill.
    [​IMG]
    2 tubes, 2 tyre levers, a puncture repair kit and co2 bombs fitted inside.
    2.5 years and 3 sets of tyres and not a single puncture!!
    Pablo Mac and Gravel Seeker like this.
  5. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, I built pvc pipe toolbox too...did I ever send you the drawings for the mounts I had made? Maybe theres a Ratel product there...just the mounts for a pvc tool box? I was thinking an alloy toolbox off the bashplate 'ala rallye style.
    Pablo Mac likes this.
  6. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Aquatic, will you be planning to open a store closer to europe any time soon?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aquatic likes this.
  7. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never say never. But it is not a plan of mine.
    Why do you ask Sir?
  8. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because occasionally i have dreams about installing your case saver, chain guide and if it's a long night i get to the axle kit, triple clamp and the whole yz conversion, so when I wake up I write you an email asking about available parts and their current price and when i read about the shipping from Oz then everything saddens and tears drop from my eyes...
  9. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    looking forward to the next batch of case savers !!
    Aquatic likes this.
  11. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Engraving should be done on tuesday
  12. pntsoptional

pntsoptional Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any more new parts in development? I haven't bolted anything new to my bike in months. ;-)
  13. AaronNT

AaronNT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently putting together the parts to modify at standard G650GS to Dakar/Sertao specs.

I've already purchased forks, triples, axle and caliper from a 2001 YZ250. I have also a NEW 2002 YZ front wheel which I believe will be usable with the matching spacers from that year.

I have just come to the realisation that it will probably be cheaper to have the stock BMW disk modified and use a Ratel hanger with the Brembo BMW caliper than to buy a 320mm EBC supermoto kit, No doubt this will give better braking performance also.

Craig can you supply a suitable caliper hanger to allow fitting of the stock caliper and modified disk to the YZ forks for use with a Yamaha wheel? Does the one you supply for the BMW wheel work or does the disk not line up in the center of the caliper?
  14. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    A modified BMW disc on a Yamaha wheel with a Ratel hanger and BMW caliper works perfectly.
    To my knowledge the Yamaha bits are the same for most years until the SSS forks came into play.

[​IMG]

You will have to wait a little while for a hanger though. I have 3 on the shelf and they are all spoken for(but not paid for as yet)
  15. AaronNT

AaronNT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply Craig, happy to wait. I'll work out everything I need and put an order in with you. I might need to request a Red one to match the bike.

Just in case it matters, I did some research when I bought the new Yamaha wheel on Ebay and from what I found they changed the hub in 2002. The new hub is slightly wider and the axle spacers changed that year to compensate. The fork inner tubes, including the axle and caliper bracket ends, and axle are the same part number from 2001 to 2002 so I assume the disk to caliper spacing will be the same.

Another question, will the Hooter and Fender brackets that you have suit the newer G650GS?
  16. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The brake disc should be in the same place for both old and new hub. But not necessarily so.

As far as I am aware the BMW fenders are pretty much the same for all the years. From the horn backwards that is
  17. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The brake disc should be in the same place for both old and new hub. But not necessarily so.

As far as I am aware the BMW fenders are pretty much the same for all the years. From the horn backwards that is
    AaronNT likes this.
  18. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Teaser

KYB SSS forks
    [​IMG]

Parts will be very different, but the conversion is very possible.
    Should come in only slightly dearer than the 46/48 conversion kit as there will be 1 extra part
    pvazey likes this.
  19. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    VR brackets to come as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lee337, Gravel Seeker and AaronNT like this.
  20. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    does look much better then what i came up with. What'll it go for?
    Lee337 likes this.