RATEL engineering design - BMW 650GS/Dakar/Sertao YZ/WR suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Aquatic, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, mine broke in a similar way, only it was because the nut had come off the drive sprocket and the saver was holding everything together by keeping the chain from sliding too far out. On 2 occasions. Also, the same bolt that Grizz had problems with broke off in my engine and I only had the Ratel saver on by the lower 2 bolts. (The bolt broke while the plastic saver was on and the master link fell off the chain.)

BTW, if I were looking to reweld those points, what kind of welding should I be looking into?
    GrizzLee likes this.
  2. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    What he said. :ear
  3. engineer

engineer lookee lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert, so i googled it. Looks like the case needs to be disassembled to weld it. J-B Weld sounds like your best bet to get back on the road. Here's what i read:
    http://www.classic-motorcycle-build.com/repair-cracked-cases.html

"Don't entrust this job to someone whose only qualifications are that they own a welding machine. Trying to save money here is false economy - a welder with good intentions can make the damage worse than it is. Find someone who is experienced at welding cast aluminum and have it MIG or TIG welded."​
    GrizzLee likes this.
  4. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:

That bolt is the first point of contact should anything head along the chain. Stone, stick, the end of a snapped chain.
    I have heard of and also seen that threaded hole broken out with the OEM plastic cover, and a Touratech case saver(which is nothing more than a bit of sheet metal and thin wall tube).
    @GrizzLee I honestly think you were very unlucky mate. I have been riding a Dakar for the last 15 years and never had this happen to me. And I ride rough!!
    I've had sticks in the chain guide and fence wire around the sprocket mount, but nothing has ever gone under my case saver.

I absolutely agree with @engineer wrt welding. Find someone who knows what they are doing. Splitting the engine is a given as you will need to preheat the casing before welding. In this situation, I would say TIG welding is the way to go.
  5. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me, the engine bolt is simply snapped (while the plastic cover was on), I need to drill it out at some point. For welding, I'm wondering about fixing the case saver without making it look frankensteinish:
    [​IMG]
    Again, this was from extreme abuse far beyond what any reasonable person would subject their equipment to.
  6. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys... I think I have a line on a welder.
    MitchMan406 likes this.
  7. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of metal is used in the case saver?
  8. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminium
  9. Burner25

Burner25 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi aquatic I have just got some wr426 forks for my 2006 650 dakar, so I need all the bits to make them fit the bike useing the original wheel. I’m new to the site and you where recommended, by a member.
    Thanks
  10. Burner25

Burner25 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What solutions have any of you guys come up with in regards to an ignition bracket? On Wr426 forks, I’m trying to get my head around all the bits before I buy the kit.
    Thanks
  11. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    This is a thread for Ratel products specifically.

Better to keep the general discussion on fork conversion over in the Yamaha forks on BMW thread :thumb
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/yamaha-forks-on-a-bmw-f650gs-dakar.399113/
    Burner25 and Aquatic like this.
  12. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

I just installed the Ratel Footpeg relocation kit on my Sertao. In my infinite wisdom.. or usually lack thereof, I didn't think about the effect it would have on the foot brake lever and the shifter. Both need to be moved backwards (shortened). As is, the position isn't very convenient. Is there adjustable options out there? If so, what would you recommend?
  13. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a 2nd hand set off of Ebay. Cut and weld to suit
  14. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    I have extras... Now to find a welder. I like the adjustable option though.

Craig you should make adjustable levers as part of the kit :-)

BTW: The peg re-location brackets look "too" nice to put on my bike. Nice work. I am looking forward to getting them dirty.
    Aquatic likes this.
  15. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Finally installed the Ratel Footpeg relocation kit.

I modded the foot shifter using a Yamaha shifter found on ebay and cut both the original and the yammy shifter to my liking. $20 plus stainless steel hardware and a rattle can of black paint.

shifter_mod.jpg

For the brake lever, I think I got lucky. Also found on ebay, a shorter brake leaver with a fold-away feature. I've never seen one of these. It was used, but I cleaned it up, stripped it down and repainted it. $30.

brakeLever.jpg

I put the original shift lever next to it to show how much shorter it was. No cutting needed. This wasn't mentioned in the ad. So it was a bonus!

I'm not sure who made these.

brakeLever_Compare.jpg

A quick test ride and everything appears to be much better from an ergo perspective. I'm 6'3" and my legs like the new position. This and the Touratech High seat (Craigslist find for $150 brand new!!) make the bike much better for my stature.

Now I am waiting for warmer weather to put this to the test.
    Aquatic and Burner25 like this.
  16. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice.

Link to that brake lever please?

You need to remove the spare peg bracket screws and put them in you tool bag.
  17. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    The brake lever was used. I've no idea who makes it. Wish I knew. It's pretty nice.

I know, I need to put the extra hardware in my tool kit.

Still need to fix the sheared engine bolt on the upper part of the case saver. Seems pretty solid with the 2 lowers holding it in for now.

Thanks Craig...
    Aquatic likes this.
  18. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Craig makes cans of black paint now?
  19. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ummmm, No!
    :confused:confused
  20. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uups, listening to the voice in my head again, need to check spelling closer...
    Aquatic likes this.