RATEL engineering design - BMW 650GS/Dakar/Sertao YZ/WR suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Aquatic, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very angry about my father. What, is this RATEL psychotherapy now?

Actually it felt like the first time i tried on a size 'tall' shirt. After so long with my posture jammed up and knees riding the ridges in the fairing, it felt like a new bike custom made to fit my tall body. I had to turn the shifter forward (down) one notch and bend the brake pedal out a little but they both feel comfortable now. I have the pegs in the lowest forward position, might try the rear position in spring to see if i can still reach the controls ok.
  2. BaboonButt

BaboonButt Just Another Rider

Oddometer:
    Stated perfectly. Felt the same way once I had them installed. It's interesting how tweaking, adjusting, or changing controls can significantly improve a bike's ergonomics. Riding is so much more comfortable. :clap
  3. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

Can I please use that?
  4. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course you can, just like i can wait until your business has grown so successful that you are gobbling up the pretenders like Touratech and then can sue your ass off for stealing my genius advertising copy...
  5. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holiday update - Not really a good one, but a problem finally identified.

I've been having issues with the new machine. Plagued with inconsistent sizing and poor finish.
    Those of you who have acquired Ratel parts, and more so those that have met me, will most probably realise it is something that irritates the shit out of me. Doesn't matter what the parts do or what they will look like after 10mins of riding, when the bubble wrap come off the first thing I want all customers to think is, "Fuck, I would have paid more for that!" No need to say it out loud, just the thought is enough for me.

There have been issue right from the start but it has taken us the last 3 weeks plus to work out what the issue is. Only on the third visit by a second technician did the problem become apparent.
    The fabricated base of the machine is twisted. No one can say how this happened.
    So what happens when the machine is working is that it rocks from side to side. Such a small a mount that it merely feels like a vibration. But has catastrophic effects on the machining finish of parts.

The machine has 4 threaded feet and when installing the machine get levelled with a VERY accurate spirit level. Part of the process is moving the bed front to back while checking the level right to left. It doesn't have to be perfectly level(although I insisted!) but it does have to be the same front and back.
    So to eliminate the twist you jack up the 2 diagonally opposite corners and release the other 2 diagonal corners. I watched the levels and didn't do the spannering so this was not highlighted to me. Anyway it turns out that feet front left and back right are hard down and front right/back left are barely taking weight.(and the machine still has a twist in it :eek1)
    So what we noticed was the rattle of the cabinet door as the machine was run at high feed rates. And the 2 loose feet can actually be turned by hand as the machine moves around and unloads the corners.
    So we have basically wasted almost 2 months trying to get the machine to cut right! :baldy:baldy

VERY frustrating and there have been some choice expletives! :kboom
    We just spent A$60K on a machine then the technician/deal broker telling me I might me riding the machine beyond it capability didn't help at all. I get on really well with the guy up until then trusted his skills and judgement. Now there is that small seed of doubt. It took his competition to find the fault. Enough whinging.

On Monday I will be making clamps that we will use to dynabolt the machine to the floor. That will hopefully sort the problem.

So just a heads up for those hoping on a bunch of new parts. Sorry guys, you will have to wait just a little bit longer.

But please don't run away. Stick around and watch this space. It's gonna happen.

Happy New Year to Y'all. :clap:clap:clap
  6. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, so many fires, so little water, I was told elsewhere on Adv today to calm down, fat chance, I aint started yet

Sorry to hear of the problems, at least you have identified it and now can sort it, you want to try talking to bureaucrats next ?

For a laugh a young guy here where I am at the moment was trying to fix a mate's computer, he told the owner the wet weather caused the fault so he had him warm it up to dry it out, poor young sod did not like what I had to say :evil
  7. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will you be selling all the flawed parts under the RATTLE discount name brand?
  8. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw that and thought you would get onto him a little more than you did. But your reply was..... "factful!" :lol3:lol3

Ahh to be a fly on the wall. Your sarcasm can be scything! :grim
  9. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not only are you good for a quote but funny as well! :rofl

Ratel pronounced rattle is exactly my biggest fear. And then this shit happens! Aww Jeez. :fpalm

Don, I get the impression you would be an absolute hoot at a wedding/workfunction/21st.
    At the end of the bar where all the raucous laughter is coming from.
    If we are ever in the same part of town, I want to buy you a beer Squire :lol3:lol3
  10. Damian_74

Damian_74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We all just have to put on our best South African accent when we say RATTLE!

.....Rat..Taaaaal....
    :hide
  11. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed you really know who your friends are round here and there is no truth to the rumour I was going to add to the jibes :evil
  12. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's pronounced Rah tl you bunch of Moegoes.
    :D
  13. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't even aware of what ratel was until i just looked it up. Appropriately enough Wikipedia includes this note:
    That bit about the honeycomb is confusing, but the rattle connection is clear as a pair of RATEL sunglasses...
  14. GMcKW

GMcKW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hate to break up the party, it's been real fun! :freaky

I'm not sure where I've seen it, it's been a bit like that over the last few weeks!
    I'm pretty sure you had intended to incorporate a relocated sidestand into the footrest brackets, did that happen? If so does the stock sidestand fit?
    :1drink
    At the risk of making the answer complicated how's your planning going for Carbon Fibre parts!

Cheers, all the best for the Ratel brand in 2015!

GMcKW
  15. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    I thought Rattle was some kind of snake :evil
  16. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. grimstone

grimstone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very good idea. I would try it.
  19. GMcKW

GMcKW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Second that! I like that you simplify the number of parts and that refitting the wheel would be much easier, especially on the trail.

Once again it looks OEM standard, oh scrub that, neither BMW or TT parts would be crafted like that! :rofl

I take it you had time to think over the holidays! :lol3
  20. grimstone

grimstone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sign me up for 1 piece please. But please do the RATEL logo on it :)