Rawhyde Motorcycles for Sale???

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by southwest-rider, Apr 3, 2021.

1. southwest-rider

southwest-rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, i think that finally after drooling all over the place everytime i see a gs i am finally ready to pull the trigger.
    I don't want to go thru another summer in Las Vegas riding my Harley, too freaking hot.
    Anywho's i've been looking around online for some deals and a friend pointed me in the direction of RawHyde.
    Great school and all, but they're also offloading their old gs's.
    They seem like an amazing deal all in all, but still somewhat hesitant to buy a bike from an offroad school.
    Any thoughts and or experience on this???
    Thanks for reading along. Hopefully i'll be posting next with a new bike in the garage
    gte861s likes this.
  2. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need more bikes

Oddometer:
    I took RawHyde training before I bought my GS from a dealer, which was 2 weeks after I returned. In hindsight, I should have bought a bike from them. The bikes have been used, but they have been well-maintained, and things that have been broken, such as plastics, will have been replaced. You get new tires to boot. And a ton of great training.
  3. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. You get some warranty left and they through in a training lesson to boot.
  4. ADV Wanderer

ADV Wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took their class 2 years ago. If I recall correctly, they are considered by BMW to be a bike dealer.

All their bikes get slow-speed dropped into the dirt by students so the crash bars will be scuffed and perhaps other blemishes. They have an on-site mechanic who also happens to be the best rider there. He swapped out some tires for me (they sell Mitas E07+ 50/50 tires) and he seemed like a good guy / good mechanic. All their bikes have heavy clutch use for their mileage.

I think you can buy with confidence knowing they are school bikes. Apparently a big part of their used-bike business is overseas guys (Australians etc) who buy bikes to ride up to Alaska etc.
  5. gte861s

gte861s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought my GSA from them with a class in 2016. Still riding same GSA. I’ve gone back to do other ADV rides with them. Great group of people.
  6. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need more bikes

Oddometer:
    Another reason to buy from RawHyde, is that it will most likely have a few critical upgrades. Definitely skid plate, so possibly a BDCW or Altrider. And if it's a GS, likely Altrider bars. Cylinder head covers such as MAM too.
    Kerrizor likes this.
  7. wanderlost

wanderlost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a GS from them after taking some classes. The bike was in excellent condition, it had all kinds of expensive upgrades (spoke wheels, engine guards, rear luggage racks, GSA footpegs), AND, it allowed for taking one free class and one free organized ride. Overall it was a great deal. The Rawhyde people are easy to deal with and honest. Go for it.
    Kerrizor and deadflagblues like this.
  8. southwest-rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I was on their site, the classes that they throw in with a bike purchase are a nice touch, plus a great value added. And the list of goodies that they add on to the bike, on top of all the options that they come from factory is pretty sweet.
    Like i said, only concern wpukd have been how beat uo the bikes were from beeing dropped and all, but seems like they take good care of their bikes from what i hear on here.
    Thanks guys!
    NCADV Rider likes this.
  9. AndyTAZ

AndyTAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bikes are well looked after and maintained with low mileage. Most of the class is ridden in 2nd or 3rd gear. Any damage is repaired; the panels are all clean. They're ridden without mirrors or screens. The extra tires, class and ride are a great deal. The only issue I had was either paying CA sales tax or out of state shipping to avoid the taxes.
    jdsmetx and Kerrizor like this.
  10. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would worry about the clutch and the shocks if either is still original. 10k miles of offroad by trainees is probably like 75k street miles.
    dtaski likes this.
  11. jdsmetx

jdsmetx DR Rider

Oddometer:
    I guess the screens and mirrors are back on when sold? Would these bikes be ready to "ride home" from point of sale?
  12. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Or, anywhere (you don’t have to go, like, straight home - you know?)
  13. Mordster

Mordster Wish I was riding, doesn't matter where to

Oddometer:
    Bought my ‘19 from them. +8k miles, mostly dirt, so far no issues. Just had 12k tune done no issues. & valves in spec. I’m lucky, I live in area so the bmw mech for Rawhyde is also my mech - Barty - highly recommend both a used fleet bike from RH and Barty.

plus you can’t beat the extras you get with the purchase.
    DBS125 likes this.
  14. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never attended Rawhyde but did the BMW Rider Academy in SC. The bikes are maintained well but I would caution you on the wear on the clutch. We did sooooooo much SLOW riding learning the friction zone on the clutch. The Instructiors said they can take the abuse but I bet their life has been shortened. I "doubt" the clutch is covered under warranty.
  15. southwest-rider

Oddometer:
    Clutch issues huh, is it a pricey repair to get done???
    I mean as far as i understand motorcycles in general are meant to use the friction zone as part of normal riding. An old neighbor of mine was a motorcycle cop and he says that in training they are taught to use the friction zone. And the clutch on the bikes are meant to withstand the use by design, sooo...
  16. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Not as pricey on LC as it has wet clutch as opposed to earlier platforms which had dry clutch and required bike to be split in half for job to be done...
  17. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it was mentioned but these bikes being unregistered / untitled, you can finance them at a lower interest rate as 'new' and you get a longer warranty than you normally would.

So, basically:
    1. It's sold as new so you qualify for interest rate promotions or credit union savings
    2. It's given a 39 month warranty from your purchase date if I remember correctly
    3. It qualifies for the BMW MOA's $500 off for members on R-Bikes
    4. You get a discount on the bike
    5. You get training included
    6. Bikes are maintained by BMW technicians and have some off-road upgrades

If Raw Hyde was closer, I had seriously considered buying one of their bikes - https://rawhyde-offroad.com/for-sale/motorcycles-and-equipment
    DBS125, rhuff and Mordster like this.
  18. southwest-rider

Oddometer:
    Man, this all sounds like a win win!!!
    Now i just need to keep my fingers crossed and hope that they still have a bike in two more months. Sadly, that's when my new job transitions from a temp position to a permenant one. Hopefully
    Mordster and AdamChandler like this.
  19. vipers28

vipers28 GSA Mountains

Oddometer:
    They typically sell their fleet bikes at the end of Sept./Oct time frame. I was there last week and I think there were two left. Just stay in touch with them and let them know what you are looking for and when. Barty is an awesome mechanic and one hell of a rider. Taking the class(es) is a great way to learn about your new bike and how to handle it. Warranty is intact, 2 sets of tires, training and a tour...not a bad way to go. Yes, you can train and ride right home as Barty will put your mirrors and anything else on that was taken off for training. Bikes IIRC all come with every available option on them.
  20. AndyTAZ

AndyTAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, ready to go. One of the students in my class rode his GSA away, heading home to Seattle from CO