RD250 Rebuild

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by RedRabbit, Dec 8, 2014.

1. RedRabbit

RedRabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the first bike I've ever owned AND the first rebuild I've ever done. Theres not as many pictures as I would have wanted so I have to apologize for the lack of detail :doh

My dad gave me this bike which he got from trading some work. The kid that had it before started working on it and the poor thing got left out in the rain. So we had to replace the engine with a different, non-rusty one which he had already gotten before he gave it to us. :clap

Again... wishing I got more before pictures.
    [​IMG]

Engine pulled... (all done in a dress might I add...) :rofl
    [​IMG]

When I got down to the frame it ended up being in worse shape then I thought so I had to sand blast it and paint it. I wasn't so sure about painting(rather then powder coating), but I found an amazing chassis paint that worked excellent.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only reason I was really hesitant on sandblasting it was the sticker with all the credentials but I took a picture of it down to a local sign/sticker shop and they made me a nice new (even reflective) one. It was only about 3 bucks. I definitely recommend doing that even if your not sandblasting. Looks way better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put the wheels and forks on next ...after LOTS of cleaning...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After putting the headlight, spedomiter, handlbars togethier it stayed like this for a long time.
    [​IMG]

The reason being, I was not looking forward to this....
    [​IMG]

But thank the lord, some smart, beautiful man had a blog that had the wiring harness installation in excellent detail. http://schmidtcds.com/2014/03/rd250-cafe-racer-conversion-main-harness-removal/

I would still be scratching my head in confusion if not for him.
    [​IMG]

After that things got sailing along pretty good for a while.
    Cylinders before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    Painted them with a high heat paint and then my dad used a dremel to make the edges look all sexy.
    [​IMG]

Then everything came to a compete halt cause we couldn't for the life of us find any piston rings the special size we needed. We finally found these little a-holes after weeks of searching. [​IMG]
    These suckers... these little tiny suckers, were the most expensive parts I bought for this entire bike. I can say I was more happy to get the piston rings put on then any other part.

The engine all put together...
    [​IMG]

Engine installed...
    [​IMG]

Me being anxious and setting the tank and seat on for a picture and got the exhaust pipes installed...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took a few weeks for all the little tweaking, new tires, installing the fuel and oil tank and installing the carbs. Didn't get any pics of that part :hung
    But here's a finished pic...
    [​IMG]
    The first real test ride went fairly well. There were some problems with the carb floats sticking, but an easy fix. She runs perfect and is WAY faster then I thought :evil
    I actually cried over this bike a couple times, but I learned SO much. I have my dad, brother and youtube to thank entirely or I would have no clue what I was doing (mostly my dad).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will always be my first love :raabia

May or may not paint it. Any votes? Thinking I should, but I kinda like how the sun fade looks, as weird as that might sound.
    Uke likes this.
  2. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    Here's my take on the repainting thing.

I've restored a lot of machines over the years, starting with a 1946 Ariel in the late 70s, then a few 1960s Nortons and Hondas during the 80s, and on and on and on since; maybe 25 or 30 in all.

I used to restore to "better than new", and still would with an absolute toilet of a bike, but these days I like mine to show their history. So both my OSSAs, my RD400, my CB400/4 and my MZ all have their original paint but were mechanically rebuilt.

I think that if you repaint, you destroy the history.

If I had your machine, I'd just polish what's there. The fading is a usual thing that happens with the aircooled RDs.
  3. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Mahalo!

I have an R5C from 1972 that I'll be restoring soon. I noticed the engine stand that you used. Is that a DIY or did you find that somewhere? I'd like something like that when I start tearing into the engine.

Thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

doc
  4. G54B

G54B Super gumby

Oddometer:
    I'd leave it, it looks great as is.
    Nice work :thumb
  5. RedRabbit

RedRabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It defiantly gives it more character. Never thought about destroying the history of it though. Thanks for the advice!
  6. RedRabbit

RedRabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The guy that traded us the bike had made it for another RD he has. It was so handy! Even had a cup holder on the other side :lol3 Not sure how he built it though.
  7. Deftone1

Deftone1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it. Nice work.
    StupidKid likes this.
  8. epb

epb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me, it depends on my intentions. If it's a bike I plan to keep a while, I go for the re-paint, as I'll be making my own history instead of forever wondering how it got that ding in the tank. If it's something I fixed up to ride around a while, I save the effort and the decision for the next guy.
  9. Deftone1

Deftone1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I vote do not re paint. Looks really nice already.
  10. PsammonOfDoubt

PsammonOfDoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks great as is!
  11. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Lovely machine ! :clap

Great job on the rebuild, I would be torn on the repaint as well.:lobby

Mike
  12. Bud Tugly

Bud Tugly Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I had the 1972 version (which for some reason was called the DS7). It was very fast for a 250 with a top speed of 90+mph and was considered to be a good-handling bike at the time. It was a lot of fun on twisty back roads.
  13. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    The DS series were Yamaha twins 1960s thru late '72. Then the RDs arrived, basically DS7s (Europe and Australasia: YDS7s) with reed valves.
  14. nut4obx

nut4obx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also have a RD. Wondering what the name of that "amazing chassis paint that worked excellent" was ? Thanks
  15. nut4obx

nut4obx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forgot to say the bike looks great. Don't paint the tank but do tell us about some of the other things the background of your pictures. Looks to be a very interesting garage.
  16. RedRabbit

RedRabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The paint I used is NAPA Martin Senior Paints. Called "Chassis Black" Part#7243 if you want the exact one I used :lol3 I'll let my dad answer you about the garage. He knows more about everything.
  17. Mechanista

Mechanista manic depressive

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...let's see,
    There is the '72 GT750 Cafe project, 1966 Honda CT 200 restore project, a couple of motorized bicycle conversions, the Ural Patrol we use for out-of-town trips, and the '94 XJ 600 Combat II for hooligan trips to work.
    We have a lot of other bikes too.
    I think our family's moto-sickness is genetic. My wife and I met in the desert for a dirtbike ride on our first date, and all four kids (two boys and two girls) are into riding.
  18. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the first bikes I lusted after. Nice job, enjoy it.
  19. mhaas

mhaas intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer:
    Good looking project. Don't paint. The little smoker responds well to Avon tyres in the twisties.
    I have to change my foot peg support rubbers. But I hate to have to pull the engine for access.
  20. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:

I'm hoping you are a girl? :lol3