RD250 Rebuild

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by RedRabbit, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inyokern - middle of nowhere, center of everything
    Very nice RedRabbit. It's a neat bike.

I purchase a blue 1974 RD250 new, my first new motorcycle and first payments. In all the bikes I've had I rank it as one of the most fun. Later i owned a 1975 for a while.
  2. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey RedRabbit, I looked at your profile and saw your dream bike is a Bonneville. May I ask, which? in 1978 I purchased a new Bonneville 750 - brown/gold. It was a wonderful bike that I rank at the top of the heap of all I've owned for just being fun. I owned a 2001 790 for a while, good bike but nothing at all like the old grunty twins of yore. Not knocking the new ones, they are pretty and fun too, but they are so different I'm wondering what you are dreaming of.
  3. Ebayru

Ebayru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. RedRabbit

RedRabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love the first generation ones! I tend to lean more towards 70's bikes so the T140 would probably be ideal for me. But lately I've been dreaming about the new scrambler. It's becoming VERY high on my mental "dream bike" list!

Those sound like some pretty amazing bikes to own!

some day....
  5. RedRabbit

RedRabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As fun as it would be to say "I'm just a creep who likes that kind of thing..." haha! yes. A girl I am.
  6. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are lots of T140's around for sure. The 750 Tigers are a little rarer and those are good bikes too. On my T140 by about 6,000 miles or so I got to where I could sync the Amals by ear in just a few moments. With a Tiger you would not acquire that skill. But on the other hand the bike would be sweet all the time. Unlike the T120's I think there are a lot of 750's around that are relatively unmolested, and way less expensive than the 650's.

I heard you on the Scrambler, but for me the price is too high - there are a lot of bikes in the same price range more interesting to me (I have a weakness for Ducati's)
  7. Zrt1200

Zrt1200 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great job on the restore. That bike brings back a lot of memory's. My dad had bought one back around 1975 so I could get my cycle endorsement on it. I had rode stripped down Yamaha street bikes with nobby's on it for 8 years before my father bought the RD250. I rode our RD250 for 12,000 miles before my father sold it. That was cool bike. They are also pretty fast for a little 250. Congrats on the beautiful RD250.
  8. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Please finish the bike and the build thread for her. :cry
  9. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    This!
  10. SuziRider

SuziRider too many projects

Oddometer:
    What a fun project bike and a great read! Thanks for sharing and nice job. I am also often undecided about paint. I think the bike looks great as is but a new paint job with a classy look might also bring it from great to outstanding....
  11. Radiator

Radiator User

Oddometer:
    :cry
  12. Colorado970

Colorado970 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. shiryas

shiryas Dragon with matches

Oddometer:
    Bumping this back up.

I can not fathom the pain you are going through Mechanista, but i hope you will get Red Rebbit's steed out and go for a ride up and over the Monument or out the back way into Moab once this rain spell is over. Everything should be lush and blossoming in the desert and you know we will only get a week or two till the heat comes.

All the best from a fellow inmate on the western slope.

Cheers, Chris
  14. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    Damn. :cry