1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Re-doing the bathroom and need new *hitters. Toilet recommendations?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Butters, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Title says it all. Who knew there were so many options - seat height, gpf, flush technology, etc.

I like the idea of the "comfort height" toilets, which I think is different handicap height ones. I have a small bathroom, but will likely switch from the existing round to elongated. Beyond that, I dunno.

I'm not really understanding the difference between $100 and $400 crappers. It seems like I can get a pretty good Kohler for under $200. I just want to make sure I'm not missing some great pooper feature.

Mods: I couldn't find "smelly things" so I am posting in shiny things.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  2. greenohawk69

greenohawk69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heated seat for winter. :)
  3. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better get one with a bidet option - free yourself from the TP hoarders forever.
    Chillis likes this.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recommend the tall or handicap or comfort .....whatever they are calling them.

I once had a toilet tank crack at the bottom by the bolt holes while we were on a week long ride. We came home to over $60000 in water damages before it was over. (12 years a go, probably 100k now.) So I now only use the one piece toilets where the tank is together with the stool. One less place for a failure or leak.
    Chillis, 68deluxe and Butters like this.
  5. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Caroma Sydney Smart 305 Round Front Plus. Had one for ten years and it never failed or clogged. The low water volume meant refills were quick, too. The $99 crapper it replaced couldn't reliably flush pee.
    Butters likes this.
  6. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Toto Clayton, comfort height with an elongated bowl.

I put one in our ensuite when it was renovated about 8 years ago I hate toilets that continually plug up and this brand was recommended by a plumber friend I think it has plugged maybe twice I think you can flush a 5 gal bucket of golf balls and this thing would not plug. I was so impressed I replaced the other two toilets in the house with these.
    Papermaker and Butters like this.
  7. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I call them "girl" (round) toilets and "boy" (elongated) toilets. Clearly a guy did did not design a round toilet.

I'd look up whatever toilet you're thinking of on Amazon and read the reviews...especially the negative reviews. Sometimes the negative reviews are simply someone who hasn't a clue of what is going on and the fault is theirs. Sometimes though, they will make a comment on something you wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

Chris
    Butters likes this.
  8. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Loo technology has come a long ways. We bought a new to us, 30 year old house a couple of years ago and the toilets were... outdated. I like a good crapper that doesn't require a lot of maintenance and oval bowl is the only style I'm willing to go with. At the end of the day, I was surprised to find a decent toilet at Sams Club for $90. Dual button on the top of the tank, (might be a deal breaker for some), so less water use for liquids and more for solids. Cheap plastic seat, but surprisingly comfortable. (Wife wanted to swap it out, but I actually like it better than the traditional one on the other throne.) These have not clogged once in the last two years and were easy to install. The only down side has been that the wife liked to put things on top of the tank, which we can't do now. (bonus for me, the bathroom is less cluttered!)

I don't know who makes it, it's just the Member's Mark house brand. But I'm happy with the performance, oval bowl and dual flush and have had zero issues with it. Two adult household, for reference.
    Butters likes this.
  9. Butters

Oddometer:
    I figured you guys would know your shit!

With 3 boys in the house, I think I'm committed to the elongated bowl. I've read the taller ones generally flush better. I'm not sure I want to manhandle a one piece toilet and aesthetically, I don't think the wife will approve. I have heard mostly positive things on the toto toilets, other than parts generally aren't available and most stores. That, and price.
  10. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    We installed a Kohler 1-piece a few years ago. Awesome flushing ability, only downside is that they are a pain to install. Really heavy. But it has not clogged once.
    Roughrider1886 and sieg like this.
  11. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    I've always been very curious as to why US toilets are so prone to clogging. It's almost unknown in the other countries I've lived in (UK, NZ, Aus, Hungary) but the near 20-years I spent living in the US were frequently punctuated with plunger events, or worse.

I observed that the actual soil pipes are smaller then elsewhere; does this mean that the throat of the "crapper" is throttled to suit?

And why is it that US building code seems to think that US turds are smaller than those produced elsewhere in the world?
  12. JRMAL

JRMAL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something don't smell right here.
  13. JRMAL

JRMAL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Meat eaters
  14. Roughrider1886

Roughrider1886 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Koehler Santa Rosa Comfort Height 1-Piece 1.28 GPF Single Flush Compact Elongated Toilet with AquaPiston Flush Model 3810-0 at Home Depot. Single piece for ease of cleaning and sanitary reasons. Comfort height, elongated bowl. Fits in tight spaces. The "AquaPiston Flush" feature really is powerful. It is the Cadillac of crappers. I look forward to using it. A bit pricy at about $300 but worth every penny.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  15. Butters

Oddometer:
    That design is a bit too modern for our "country" bathroom. Is the "aqua-piston" loud?
  16. Roughrider1886

Oddometer:
    Possibly just a bit louder but the duration is shorter. Its really not noticeable. Its a strong flush that keeps the bowl clean. I've used this model in my home renovation three years ago and replaced all four toilets in my daughters home with these as a Christmas gift. They have lots of chlorine and hard water so were constantly having leaks with their flapper valves even when changed out regularly. This toilet does not have that problem with their system. I wont purchase any other make or model toilet. I think in some states you can order the 1.6 liter per flush model as well. I couldnt in California but could in North Dakota. Either model works great and I dont give praise to consumer products easily.
    Butters likes this.
  17. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    During a bathroom remodel, the homeowner wanted this Kohler installed. When I pulled out the 7 pages of instructions I thought, WTF am I getting into, but the install was actually not hard and the toilet is a first class unit.
    Butters likes this.
  18. Roughrider1886

Oddometer:
    The five Koehler one piece toilets I installed were completely assembled except for the lid. Just set on the wax ring, bolt down and hook up the water. Much simpler than a two piece.
    phreakingeek and Butters like this.
  19. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I don't recall if this was a one or two piece toilet, but I was impressed with the quality. Also, their method of connecting to the flange was unique and well engineered.
    Edit: I was able to enlarge the instructions and see that this toilet is a two piece.
  20. Roughrider1886

Oddometer:
    Another thing that I liked is that the porcelin was significantly heavier than on the less expensive models. I didn't feel it was necessary to run a bead of calking along the bottom to hold in place. They are rock solid.