Re-Grip used as grip wrap

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by squiffynimrod, Oct 5, 2013.

1. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had my eye on these ever since I saw them at the local Princess Auto, but at $20 each felt it was too spendy. A recent trip there found them being cleared out at $6.93 each, and an in-store special of 50% off the lowest price gave me two for $6.93. Score!

So here's a little tutorial of the install on an 02 GSA.

What's Re-Grip you ask?

[​IMG]

A do it yourself regripping material that shrinks down to a smaller diameter when the plastic inner core is removed. When I first saw it I immediately thought of using it on MC grips. Here's the website of the mfr:
    http://www.re-grip.com/

It comes in 3 sizes, the middle size with the yellow core was perfect for my grips. Took off the handguards and bar ends and slipped the tube over the grip.

[​IMG]

Position the grip where you want it. They state you can't move it once it's on and they mean it.

[​IMG]

Pull on the exposed plastic end and it starts to uncoil from the opposite end, and the rubber shrinks down. I only pulled a bit out and then snugged the Re-Grip as close to the end as I could. A little more pulling and it's halfway there.

[​IMG]

Kept pulling until all the plastic coil was out and voila!

[​IMG]

Trimmed off the excess material with a utility knife, reinstalled the bar end and guard and it's done!

[​IMG]

The throttle side installs just the same, but needed a little more trimming for the throttle to be able to return smoothly.

The rubber material they use is great for grips. Really grippy, great feel. The diameter of the grips increases a bit which I like. There is ZERO chance of these slipping on the existing grip, they shrink down and grab on tight. They seem to transmit heat from the heated grips well even though I didn't spend much time with the heat on. But I could feel the heat.

Stupid easy to install, but you only get one chance. Make a mistake and you're buying another one, but it's so easy only a real moran would screw it up. If you're looking for grip covers I recommend trying these.
    davidji, mervingry and good dog like this.
  2. XICAQUE

XICAQUE Q' pedo?

Oddometer:
    Colorado Springs, CO Yes, we are full, move on
    Very nice dude! I am going to try this!
    :freaky
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is very cool! If the Grip Puppies doesn't work out, this would be a great replacement!:deal
  4. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you like this you should spend a couple of bucks on some self amalgamating rubber tape, great for making grips at the exact size you want to fit your hand, and the more worn and warmer it gets the grippier it gets...just a thought

i have used it on multiple bikes, a little dome in the middle reduces hand cramps like the old grips on British bikes

link

one roll makes about three sets of grips

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. crea58

crea58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. tlwood99

tlwood99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    subscribing to this thread; going to try the Re-Grip solution. Thanks for taking the time to post up Squiffy!
  7. XICAQUE

XICAQUE Q' pedo?

Oddometer:
    Re-Grip is bad ass. I have it on my 2014 and it rocks
  8. good dog

good dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Princess Auto is the Canadian equivelant to Americas Harbour Freight or as close as it can be. I may have to take an extended lunch break today and see if our local carries this. Thanks for posting.
  9. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great tip, thanks.
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Well portrayed, I was not aware of that stuff.
  11. XICAQUE

XICAQUE Q' pedo?

Oddometer:
    Got mine at Home Depot. Special order.....
  12. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About how much did this add to the diameter of the grips?

I'm looking to increase the diameter of the grips on my 800xc to approximately the size of 1" grips.
  13. XICAQUE

XICAQUE Q' pedo?

Oddometer:
    My calipers show 1.39 inches with the Re-grip in place.
  14. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Just to thank the OP for drawing attention to this slick product and to pass along a tip of my own. I put a hose clamp around the end of the grip and over the Re-grip with the edge of the clamp positioned where I wanted to make the cut. The edge acts as a guide for the blade (I found that a sharp exacto blade worked great) to make a consistent cut around the circumference.
    Jetpilot5, Way and HighTechCoonass like this.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Nicely done... I can't find it at Princess auto though.
  16. good dog

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find it at my local PA either, they said it must have been a regional/provincial purchase. I did find it online at Home Depot Canada, special order about $15+ if I recall correctly. If they had been at PA at that sale price I would have picked up a couple and thrown them in the future use bin. At least we know there's a relatively cheap fix over BMW replacement grips.
  17. younger06

younger06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only came across this product in the last couple of days...... for the very purpose of recovering my badly worn GS grips.
    It looks like the product has never made it across the Atlantic.

I would be interested in hearing from the guys that have used it on the heat transfer topic................... will my heated grips still be effective??

Sent using hocus pocus........... boo!
  18. good dog

Oddometer:
    I think there are few as of yet who have tried it yet but as @stiffynimrod states in their 1st post "They seem to transmit heat from the heated grips well even though I didn't spend much time with the heat on. But I could feel the heat."
  19. XICAQUE

XICAQUE Q' pedo?

Oddometer:
    Younger,

I have it on my 2014 and they do work quite well with the heaters. Not an issue at all. I had to order mine with home depot as a special order as this is not locally stocked. Free shipping. Try amazon or fleabay.
    younger06 likes this.
  20. younger06

younger06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the reply. I take it that the yellow medium size is the one to use??

This product might be worth importing for distribution through Europe.

Sent using hocus pocus........... boo!