RE Himalayan suspension upgrade query

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eonzafi, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Eonzafi

Eonzafi n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings riders.
    Well, since the cheap,throw anywhere ,RE Himalayan has seen a few owners by now, I thought why not start a new thread for... Sure you've guessed it by now.
    Courtesy to it's low 800mm of seat height, I've been pondering over a suspension upgrade- specifically longer travel, +20mm at least , with better springs.
    I read about the hyperpro, YSS suspension options available but they seem to offer the same amount of travel. Couldn't find a detailed comparision/review either.
    I am not in town for next 3 months and won't be riding until I am back so meanwhile ii figuring out the options.
    Before I start , I would be grateful for any valuable inputs from your side regarding suspension upgrade or knowing someone who has travelled the same route .

PS: Yes it has to be the Himalayan :-)
    I mean , it sits low , isn't really heavy, has ok-ish power to putter around , really cheap to repair after it makes you dig out the dirt hooligan in in you . Apart from not having many light and accessible adv/dual sport options around ,its pretty much just what I want.
  2. Eonzafi

Eonzafi n00b

Oddometer:
    Well the length of the stocks rear shock seems to be about 406mm eye to eye. Longer option anyone ?
    Any idea if the Gen 1 KLR 650 used a longer rear shock ? GEN 2 is 406mm, don't know about gen 1.
  3. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a suggestion to either keep the same rear travel or investigate upgrading both front and rear to the same increase.

Jacking up the rear end of the bike with more travel but leaving the front stock will mess with steering geometry and handling.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    You could talk to Rick at Cogent Dynamics :-)
  5. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    @NC Rick
  7. Eonzafi

Eonzafi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi. Yes the plan is to raise both the shock and the fork by 20 mm . I was able to find that that gen 1 klr 650 has 200 mm of rear wheel travel ,bike weight just a tiny bit less,and the length of the rear shock of gen 1 klr 650 is 406mm ( correct me if am wrong ) . Courtesy to this additional wheel travel will it be possible to alter the length of the rear shock links ( at the bottom ) ? Lengthen them so as to raise the rear height by 20 odd mm or so ?

Front being 41mm , klr 650's front might work ? They have 220 mm of front travel ( +20mm over RE himalayan ) . I am just clueless regarding the length of the complete fork, and ofcourse where can I source a set from :-/
  8. Eonzafi

Eonzafi n00b

Oddometer:
    Read a lot about Rick @ Cogent Dynamics
    I must say . I'll drop him a msg and ask regarding the rear shock.
    For the front ,i might have to pick up one off e-bay and rebuild it with better springs / oil.
    Length of the klr650 gen 1 fork length anyone ?