Re: Roadcrafter or Darien

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Asterix, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Asterix

Asterix This user's email bounces

Oddometer:
  2. dapolrbear

dapolrbear Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about a 2-piece Roadcrafter? You can zip together for that one piece fit, and have an option to seperate the 2 if you need to.
  3. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    I've found my Roadcrafter 2-piece to be the best all-around riding garment I've ever had. Better for riding (but not for babe-magnetism) than my head-2-toe leathers. I've sometimes thought a 1-piece Roadcrafter would have been better, but not often.

IMO, Roadcrafter vs. Darien boils down to better waterproofing (Darien) vs. better everything else (Roadcrafter). My friend's Darien is not something I'd want to wear in the range of weather for which the Roadcrafter is "OK" comfortable.

I've found the waterproofing of the Roadcrafter to be adequate. In two-hour deluge riding, I've been a little damp at the edges only.

I'd buy another Roadcrafter in a NYM. My friend with the Darien likes it, stayes a little dryer on horrible days, doesn't use it anywhere near as much (too hot in the summer), and (secretly) would rather have a Roadcrafter.

- S
  4. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    I'm with the sparkster on this one- I have a 2-piece RC, and agree that it's the best all-around rider I've owned. Good protection, doesn't get all soggy in the rain like leathers, and protects adequately in the wet, at least long enough to get out of it!

I believe the later RCs have even better protection, with added zipper flaps, etc.

Nice thing about the 2-pc is that you can still zip it up to make it a 1-piecer if the weather gets really nasty. You can also unzip the belly a bit in hot weather....

Add to that the nifty armor you can add in the back and hips, and you get that feeling of extra security, too. I think they have a hard shell armor option now, too, which I believe is available for both the darien and RC.

The Darien feels more like heavy rain gear, while the RC feels more like light-duty leathers....
  5. Asterix

Asterix This user's email bounces

Oddometer:
  6. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    I do. an 1150 oiler.

Zippers are a bit pourous in really heavy rain, and you can get some puddling in the crotch area while riding the GS. This was perhaps the most unpleasant discovery of my RC when I switched from sportbikes to the GS. You can't do a whole lot with the teeth, but seam sealing the zippers is a good idea. there is a goo stick you can apply to lubricate and add some repellency to the teeth. Aerostich sells most all the stuff you need to do a good job- nikwax, 3M scotchgard (the green can), seam sealer, etc.

This is where the darien would be better, but I'm not a nut for riding in such downpours.
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Thinking rain, snow, and cold, I'd go with the Darien. Fits electrics and fleece much better than roadcrafter. Think different gear for the heat of summer...darien is lighter than RC, but not necessarily much cooler.

But since it's cold and wet time, go darien and you won't be sorry.

If you lived in the West, I'd say go one-pc roadcrafter, but you don't so I won't.

good luck,
    fish
  8. zaydie

zaydie MC Rider

Oddometer:
    You really need to talk to someone who had experience with both systems. I am Darien fan. 7 years in Boston. Only not riding if snow or ice on roads. Darien has great venting for summer. Vents under arms and large vent that opens up across the back. Just don't zip the wrist in the summer and a nice flow of air up the arms. Really good in rain. Just empty the 2 breast pockets, they are not water proof. With electric vest you can take some pretty cold weather. Jacker liner makes for a nice jacket at the rallies on those cool nights. Pants are also tops, easy on off and access to your street pockets. GO DARIEN
  9. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    For once I have to agree with fish: I'm not a fan of the 1-piece Roadcrafters because they are otherwise known as Aeroleaks. Aerostich will tell you the zipper is a compromise to make it quick to zip up. Nothing like riding to Alaska in refrigerated rain and feeling those first few drips of icewater in your crotch after 45 minutes of riding, knowing it will make it as low as your kneecap in a few hours and ankles later in the day.
  10. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    I went for the stylish, efficient and very dry First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and pants. Can't say enough good about the jacket. comes with a fleece liner. Rode home last night in 35 degree wet cold (y'know that bone chilling damp cold?) and was plenty comfortable with no real layering (t shirt and chamois shirt) Dry as a bone all last winter in one of the wettest places in the US. enough pockets to lose anything. take out the liner and open the vents and it is like riding in a t-shirt.

The pants are totally dry and warm. I forget where I put my long johns, thats how warm. never felt overheated tough. and they have lasted one winter and are heading into a second with no problems...

and to not feel that icy cold trickle as the water sneaks past my sack and heads for my starfish at 9 AM on a monday :eek: ....well that's worth every damn penny.....
  11. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I have the First Gear pants and mostly like 'em except for two things: (1) the liner is not removable so I get hot in them above 70 degrees, and (2) I found that the zipper leaked badly and filled my seat with water until I sewed the bottom of the zipper flap to make 'em waterproof.

I've heard the jacket is wonderful but can leak a little bit around the belly button and neck. Doesn't sound like yours does tho.