1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Rear brake petal 1190 goes to the floor when pushing hard on road@speed

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by Kevin Graehl, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Kevin Graehl

Kevin Graehl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found a road above oakland , ca redwood road... was pacing a bunch of knee draggers, ,, then found a mushy non existent rear brake(i am known for using alllllot of rear brake to settle the bike in corners)

it takes exactly 3 pumps for it to get it back to normal.. Disk is not hot, well above 200degrees, but not 400.

I know what boiled brakes feel like, this was not it....

So anyone know if i can order a 2011 ktm 990 adventure r brake line and bypass the whole abs pump system?? -- im sure i can but does the front trip out if i clone the hall effect sensors .. anybody know where in the harness i tap/jump the front sensor to the non used rear? if not, i'll pull out a toner/ tracer ..

Is this a know issue.. and no i did not search..

trail attack2's held up just fine... couln't push super hard,, had a 2 up passenger slowing me down
  2. Capo Rick

Capo Rick Please understand...

Oddometer:
    Bleed. Bleed. Bleed.

Did I say Bleed?

Do the basics first
  3. Kevin Graehl

Kevin Graehl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    alllright.. alright alright.. less then 10 k miles woulnd think i would have to...

it isn't because of a linked abs issue ? i never fade my 990 superduke, 990 adventure r 950 adventure.. I'll bleed it for you, but curious if there is any weird linked stuff going on?

4bbc6214-ce46-460f-8b32-1d7f5c5a5ee0.jpeg
  4. Capo Rick

Capo Rick Please understand...

Oddometer:
    The OEM juice in the xx90 brakes for some reason is damn near coffee when they are new. No idea why, but I can assure you that a good bleed will clear things up provided you don’t have any leaks going on. The ABS circuit is not a problem area on these bikes and bypassing it is asking for all sorts of issues since it is tied to the rings and sensors.
  5. Kevin Graehl

Kevin Graehl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thankyou.. so they just have a bad batch of brake fluid with 3 percent h2o? ill go down to autozone and grab some? or any suggestions
  6. hoss1

hoss1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How rough was the road? i've had to pump up the rear brake on our '15 SAT after the pads had worked themselves away from the disc due to lots of bumps. I'm talking CA "pavement" here.
  7. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Capo... my 1190 came with air in the radiator, loose head stem bearing, loose screws all over the place, a poorly designed airbox and shit brake fluid/air. I have had exactly the same feeling as you, only during "race mode".... I thought I was boiling the fluid, but maybe it wasnt. Change and bleed it.
  8. JoeyZ

JoeyZ "I'de Like To Take That Ride Again" Might as Well

Oddometer:

I believe the 1190 uses dot 5.1 Be sure not to mix dot 5 with other fluid types. It is silicone based and and will not mix with dot 3,4or5.1
  9. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    They all use DOT 4.

DOT3 4 and 5.1 are all interchangeable. DOT 5 is the silicone based one.
  10. Kevin Graehl

Kevin Graehl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow,, great video.. i will admit, i will adjust valves before changing brake fluid.. Something in me before this happened yesterday said wait until it happens.. I only posted because i wasn't able to get the rear disk to even boil my spit when touching it 1 minute later after pulling over in a safe area. I'll put some shinny new oil in.. Hell ill do it on all my bikes.. my brake pump is MIA so ill be buying a pump.

thankyou for all the video link!!! good looking.. miss ari with his dreadlocks
  11. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. JoeyZ

JoeyZ "I'de Like To Take That Ride Again" Might as Well

Oddometer:
    Thanks, your right. I will edit in an effort to not misinform others.
    kokos79 likes this.
  13. Kevin Graehl

Kevin Graehl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put motorex in. Still does it. I've bled brakes dozens of times . Guess I need to look into the matter cylinder rebuild or a galfer straight line and block off the abs line with 2 copper washers and a nut bolt combo
  14. Usurpator

Usurpator n00b

Oddometer:
    Had the same issue on my 1290 2016. Rear brake would engage only after second push.
    Had the brakes bled by dealer and now works just fine. Brake fluid level was ok.
    What caused this I wonder?