Rear Ended... and now I'm a temporary cripple >_< ps: I just broke a leg, nothing too serious.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by JJaafar, Aug 11, 2019.

1. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I was coming up to a T-junction. There was a car there, stopped to clear traffic before going. The car drove off, I'm next in line. I stopped, to check for approaching vehicles, then all of a sudden, a car from behind decided to get cosy with my bike. The car said hello to my bike, I proceeded to say good day mate to the tarmac, and decided immediately to lie down on the tarmac, feeling the wonderful warmth of it.

Long story short, after paying RM 1 (that's about 30 US cents) at the local hospital, got checked, x-rayed and put in a cast. My left leg, not me. It was an open fracture to my fibula about 6cm above my ankle. 2 weeks in this bloody cast before another x-ray to decide whether to continue letting it heal naturally or to operate and get a plate implant.

Also, for those who'd broken their leg in the past, I feel you guys. Now every trip to the bathroom is like an adventure by itself. Full of unknowns and danger and elation when I am finally seated at the throne.

Thanks to ADVRider, I have a channel for my rants...
  2. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I and I have to add... The pain. The pain was intense. It still is painful, 3 days after the accident. Breaking a bone is painful. More painful is the fact that I will miss my planned ride in September. 1000kms, gone, poofed, up in smokes... Damn.

Lesson 1: I have frames for panniers. I shoulda kept the panniers on, at least (I think) I would break my leg, as the bike would have landed on the panniers instead of my precious precious leg.

Lesson 2: Shoulda kept an eye on the car at the rear. I think she (and it was a she, a nice gentle lady) expected me to go, so she wasn't looking at me, instead was looking down the road we were merging into.

Lesson 3: I was heading to the office. I was ATTGAT except I wasn't wearing my riding boots. I was wearing my work shoes... and not even the safety shoes. Just the normal office work shoes. Shoulda worn the boots.

Lesson 4: You guys tell me more.
    zundappuk and Dracula like this.
  3. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    :jack Quit your killing me. I’m up to 22 broken bones and two of them was my tib and fib. Ripped my lower leg right off. Reattached it works but not nearly as good as before the break. Here’s the rest of my list of broken bone bits.
    Neck x2
    Lower back
    Pelvis x3
    Femur
    Both ankles
    Shattered heel
    Forearm both bones twice
    Tib and fib on good leg
    Elbow

So now where do you hurt? You’ll heal up good as before, but you better ride harder if you wanna catch up to me. :ksteve
  4. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude. You win. I would never want to come close to you. In any case, have a bit of love for a brother who had never broken a bone in his life. The pain, the pain i tell you.
    Davidprej, CrazyCooter and pigjockey like this.
  5. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have my sympathies! :kurtI had an open fracture of my tib/fib and a broken ankle (bicycle accident, though) several years ago. I have the metal in both my tibia and my ankle. Twelve weeks (yes, 12) of non-weight bearing. Ugh.

Here's a link I pass on to everyone in the broken leg club: http://www.mybrokenleg.com/
    It's a good site for getting useful tips on coping and healing, plus you can vent with others who get it. You can spend time reading stuff on the site while you are sitting around with your leg propped up.

More stuff: Eat a good diet to help your body heal and take it easy -- Really! -- your body has suffered a major trauma and needs to repair itself. You don't do yourself any favors by trying to overdo things or get active before your OS says it's okay to do so. And, when you are ready, make sure that you follow any recommended PT. It will help immensely with balance and strength. It's amazing how much you lose those things when you can't walk normally.

Finally, I found that this cast cover was really great. It allows you to cover your cast so you can shower or bathe without having to tape plastic bags all over your cast.
    https://drycorp.com/pages/waterproof-cast-cover

Good luck with your healing. Keep us posted; there's a bunch of us here who have been there.
  6. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, hope for a speedy recovery. No injury is fun. Get it fixed correctly and take however much time it takes for you to heal completely. Then you can start on getting back to using it properly. You will undoubtedly be needing physical therapy once the bone is healed/repaired. Don't try to rush it.

Even if you have been looking in the mirror, you may not have been able to avoid the accident. A former boss of mine was in a bad accident almost 20 years ago. She was driving a full sized pickup. In front of her was a stopped motorcyclist and in front of him was a stopped box van. A woman rear ended my boss at almost 100KPH, the front of her truck and the motorcycle ended up under the box van. The motorcyclist saw it coming through the windows of the pickup truck and jumped straight up off the pegs, landing on the top of the cab of her pickup bruised but unbroken. It's amazing what adrenaline can do. My boss's husband (passenger in the pickup) ended up with a broken back and still has issues with it to this day.

I've broken my collar bone, head of the humerus, ribs, a thumb, fingers and numerous toes along with a smashed ankle, a torn tendon, road-rash down to the bone and so many lacerations, bruises and sprains I can't remember anymore. The biggest problem is aging. All of those old injuries are catching up with me now.
  7. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those that has not broken a bone(yet?), not for lack of trying . I've fallen out of trees ,@10 yrs old cartwheeled a KX75 WOT in third and front wheel fell off, wiped out my 250r numerous times, even got hit by my own car(lady broadsided my car at an accident in dense fog) and then slammed into the car behind me, pinching me between the 2 and pushing both cars into the ditch, making a neat caved in outline in the rear fender where my legs were on a'78 Monte Carlo(not thin sheet metal), but literally just tipped over my 250r once and separated a shoulder, mildest "wipeout" I've had and one of the most painful . I truly think my bones were thicker due to steady shock loads growing up and the gallons of milk I drank(lived on a dairy farm). I'm hoping the break doesn't come with older more fragile bones than when I was a kid . The damage to my muscles from the car incident has stuck with me though .

8. Justbobinkentucky

Justbobinkentucky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had 26 fractured bones from one motorcycle crash, hit by a car on the interstate at 70 mph.
    Healing takes time, be patient !
    pigjockey and CCitis like this.
  9. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sucks but everyday will get better(speaking from experience). And as you see here, someone else always has it worse. Keep your head up, this too shall pass.
  10. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was about to recommend the same website! Broken legs suck!

It will get better. Wear clothes with lots of pockets, I’m sure you know what I mean by now.
  11. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips guys. Today is only the 4th day... can't see how I can make it to 12 weeks. But take every day as it comes. Times like this is where I take stock of how lucky I am to have mrs Jaafar around. Now she has 2 babies at home to take care of :lol3

In any case, I can lay some blame on her feet, since I wasn't fan of bikes until the day I got to know her 5 years back :rofljk jk.

You guys think a crash bar on the bike would change the outcome of this accident? I was mulling installing it on my bike previously, and also keeping my panniers on at all times. Maybe that would change things? Moving forward, I probably would want to 'safe' my bike a bit more.
    yokesman likes this.
  12. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Not really possible to suggest that different protection would have produced a different outcome. Too many variables in an accident. How fast was the car going?
    You already know your best odds are with ATGATT. Even then, the proverbial "shit happens". The good thing is that the larger bones usually heal well and normally don't take extremely long. A mangled ankle or knee could take many times longer to heal.
  13. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    A fibula is considered a larger bone? I really do hope so that it will heal fast. Feeling useless sucks.
  14. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    It not a femur, but as compared to the small bones of the wrist, ankle, etc it is a larger bone.

I can feel for you and your family. My wife has had 5 fractured vertebrae since December. I've been having to do almost everything for her since them. Fortunately she is recovering slowly, particularly the pain has lessened greatly. It's good thing that I retired last year, but it has certainly cut into my motorcycling this year.

Heal quickly and thoroughly!
  15. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based off the title when I first opened this thread I expected to read that you suffered a dislocated spinal fracture or a traumatic amputation. I'm extremely glad be proven wrong.

That being said a broken fibula isn't too big of a deal and you should heal up and be back on the bike in a few months.
    Bobsguys likes this.
  16. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about better gear and riding lessons?

:hide
    ChaoSS402, CaptCapsize and pigjockey like this.
  17. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    No one seems to have mentioned it yet, but be careful with the painkillers. Not pooping for a month really changes your life perspectives.

Get a good laxative now, grown men shouldn't poop like a rabbit.

I broke my leg in a much less cool way. The healing process does takes time, so be patient and don't push it.

Healing now is easier than later.
    CaptCapsize and pigjockey like this.
  18. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did put a ':p' at the end.

In any case, needing my wife Take my pants off for me qualifies me of being a temporary cripple. :lol3
    pigjockey and nk14zp like this.
  19. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paging @Sabre! Sabre to the White Courtesy Desk please! :D Sabre has the best anti-constipation advice ever. :1drink
  20. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not popping painkillers... Yet. The pain now is a dull deep ache, something I can keep in the background.