Rear Ended... and now I'm a temporary cripple >_< ps: I just broke a leg, nothing too serious.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by JJaafar, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    @JJaafar Naproxen with some acetaminophen does a good job. But I think ibuprofen is better for swelling.

I had a loose bone from my break because the swelling was so bad they couldn't operate for 3 weeks. I took a lot of Percocet (parakeets when you're on them) because of the rubbing fibula.
  2. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    nk14zp likes this.
  3. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eat plenty of protein, satay isnt bad.
    JJaafar likes this.
  4. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whaddaya mean 'it isn't bad'?

It's bloody good, is what it is.
  5. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    They’re expensive, but they were worth it when I was 3 months non weight bearing.

Hope crutches

http://www.crutches.net/
  6. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    While your leg is casted, be sure to exercise the good leg. There is a phenomenon called neurological crossover. It is a situation where some of the good leg exercise benefits the fractured leg.
    It isn't a huge benefit but it does slightly help the fractured leg from atrophying.

Good luck.
  7. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Dude!!!!I saw this title pop up and immediately open to find that you only have a broken leg!!! First, I am sorry that you are hurt, and I am glad that its not really serious. You are not "a cripple", not permanently. Jeeez!!! Don't do that, man.

Heal up fast, stay off the bike unti the doc clears you and watch your six. Feel better.
    JJaafar likes this.
  8. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry man. I did put a ':p' in my thread subject. I'm just trying to lighten the situation.
  9. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the way, how was your Malaysian holiday? Sabah is such a nice state isn't it?

Sorry we couldn't cross paths. Maybe next time.
  10. Getdrty

Getdrty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having broken bones (leg) for the first time with my crash in April I feel your pain. Mine was tibia/fibula with severe sprain. I was on crutches for 3 months. It would've been less time had it not been for the sprain. Good luck with your recovery.
  11. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    So... a bit of an update.

Is it normal that I spend my days on google maps mapping out routes for my next ride? I hope by Q1 2020 I'm well enough to ride again :lol3
  12. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I’m super paranoid about getting hit from behind in traffic or at stops. I probably look in my rear view mirrors as much as i do in front of myself. That’s one of the things i worry about is letting off the brakes and the person behind thinking a light changed and it’s time to go, then plowing into me. I’ve broken an ankle, twice and that pounding in the middle of the night so you can’t sleep pain sucks bad. Hope you heal up well and soon!
  13. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perfectly normal! I badly broke my leg 5 years ago in March and did a very careful trip in July of that year. Still wasn’t walking too well and I dropped the bike once, but I made it.
  14. regder

regder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep up the positive attitude! Had a tibial plateau fracture (top of the shin where it becomes the knee) about 2.5 months ago from a minor crash in Vietnam.

8 weeks non weight bearing, then allowed to put weight on it as tolerated.

The first month was the hardest mentally. Going from being fully active on a fantastic trip, to being stuck on the couch made for a very depressed rider. The second month was easier as I was allowed to start bending my leg, but still not allowed to bear weight.

Things really turned around once I was allowed to put weight on it. Took me about 4-5 days at each step to go from two crutches, to one, to walking unassisted.

After about 4-5 days of walking, I felt my bad leg was strong enough to get on the bike. Been able to get back on the back for the past 4 days.

Keep at it, you'll get over it!
    garfey likes this.
  15. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the positive thoughts!

Just got back from my x-ray session yesterday. The doc said that if the fracture was less than 5cm from the ankle, a surgery is recommended to plate and screw it for strength. If the fracture is above 5cm from the ankle, then the docs would just leave it and let it heal naturally. Problem is mine broke at exactly the 5cm mark... so another 2 weeks in cast before another x-ray to see whether to proceed with surgery or not... 2 weeks down, another 2 weeks before knowing, any god knows how many weeks after that to recover.

In any case, I think this accident is somewhat of a God-sent. I've been working away from my wife and 1 year old kid for the past 2 years, coming home once an month. Now I get to spend many many weeks with them, seeing my little kid grow up. God, they do grow up fast when they're small, don't they?
    pigjockey, Motopsychoman and garfey like this.
  16. thanosgp

thanosgp Xr rules

Oddometer:
    Are you a professional stuntman?:annie
  17. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sabah was great, no bad meals only bad roads. We have about finished with M"laysia for some long time, 2015, 2016, 2016. Sold the bike also.
    thanosgp likes this.
  18. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    Ha ha no. But I do live on the edge quite often. In two days I turn 57 and I have come to realize that the end could come tomorrow so I’m going to give her hell today.
    thanosgp likes this.
  19. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here I am warded at the Hospital 1 month after the accident. I'm scheduled for surgery today to fix plates and screws on the fracture.

Oh well :baldy apparently from age comes the slowing down of healing...
    thanosgp likes this.
  20. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heal quickly!