Rear Ended... and now I'm a temporary cripple >_< ps: I just broke a leg, nothing too serious.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by JJaafar, Aug 11, 2019.

1. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope the surgery went well and that you're getting the good anti-ouchy stuff.
  2. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update time!

Surgery went well, I think. Got warded last week Wednesday, operation on Friday morning. Here's the story of that day.

Woke up at 6am and asked a nurse to help me to go to the bathroom. Coming out, the nurse asked me to strip. What the hell??!! Then he told me I was scheduled to be the first op of the day, and he will help prep me before going into the OR. I was wheeled into the OR, the anesthetist doctor came and explained about the spinal injection to paralyse half my body and the operating doctor came and explained what will be done. Since it was my first ever surgery, I was quite scared, not gonna lie about it. My wife did tell me that the spinal injection was not too painful, but I didn't believe her, since she has a high tolerance of pain, unlike me. But she was right, the doctor injected painkiller into my IV line, then proceeded to do inject the spine and immediately my lower body started to tingle and become numb. They laid me down on the table, the doctor came and injected another dose of "something" and told me to relax and if I felt like it, to sleep. Man... was that the best sleep I've had. I woke up refreshed about 20 minutes before the surgery ended, so I actually heard the "drilling" noises, but I didn't felt a thing, except some tugging at my left leg. Apparently the surgery was 1 and half hours but I was asleep most of the time, at least that was what the doc told me.

Wheeled out of the OR holding room, transferred back to my ward by around 11.30 am with the strict instruction to have a drink, some lite food but DO NOT RAISE my head until 2pm (6 hours from the spinal injection). Funnily enough, for my 3 days in the hospital, not once did I get the chance to eat hospital food. Every time it comes around, I'm usually fasting in preparation of my surgery. Yeah it got postponed from Wednesday night, to Thursday morning, to Thursday night, to Friday morning. Understandable, since I was in the General Hospital, and the emergency cases got first dibs on the ORs available.

Wife came at around 1pm with oh so glorious proper home-cooked food and rice. Hey, I'm asian, rice is our lifeline. 3 days of light snacks and bread and sandwiches can't sustain me enough. Waited until 2pm, raised the bed into sitting position and enjoyed mrs Jaafar's feeding me real food. Got released around 8 that night after the doctor made her rounds and checked on my x-ray post-surgery. 1 plate and 6 screws holding my broken bones together, and 1 long screw holding the end of my fibula and tibia together. According to the doctor, a break that low on the fibula will start to separate the ankle bones and the long screw is needed to tie the ankle back to stabilise it. That long screw may be left or taken out depending on how the ankle joint heals together with the broken bones, but with physio, I should get my leg back in time for 2020 riding season (that'll be in January next year) YAY!

So, I'm back home for the past 6 days, the first 4 days was painful. I got tramadol and paracetamol as painkillers and I was popping them as much as was prescribed daily. The pain is getting to the dull aching stage now, so no more tramadol, just the occasional paracetamol, especially when it rains. Cold conditions make it aches even more. I've been going to the Community Clinic every day for re-dressing of the wound, and according to the nurse there, the healing is taking place nicely. I'm glad. I'm also hoping that the pain goes away more in the coming days. My feet swells if I sit too long, and my calf cramps at night. But all in all, I'm getting there.

It feels good to share this, for some odd reason.... :lol3
    garfey likes this.
  3. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Things will get better! You should be able to be back on the bike by January--but make sure you do your PT! Also, at least with my broken leg, it continued to get better and feel better over the years. I had some pain in my knee and ankle that has continued to lessen over time--it just takes a while.

To minimize the foot swelling, keep your leg and foot propped up when you can. It gives you a good excuse to sit around and read. :D
  4. OBIWAN

OBIWAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    12 weeks or 2 weeks! I think you need a different doctor. I didn't break a leg but both wrist real bad. Pain big time. Sharp lasting pain. Then the surgery and metal parts. Pain gone unless I tired to pick up something or open a coke can. That hurt but just sitting there doing what I was told, pain gone. Bone were no longer free to move around and grind against stuff. Get some metal to stabilize those bones. And mint flavored milk of magnesia was my friend.

Oh, now I see where you did have the surgery. Very good. Be healing fast now. I always know when the weather person is wrong, just one of those things a lot of times with broken bones.
  5. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stitches taken out today. Next week will be another appointment at the hospital for xray and the start of my 'non weight bearing' PT. Getting there slowly.

Another 3 weeks from then before weight bearing starts.

Thanks for all the encouragements and story sharing. Apparently it help sharing the pain around :lol3.
  6. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the doctors has thrown a spanner in my plans... During my last check-up last week, healing apparently is slower than expected, and she gave me another 3 weeks of non-weight bearing above the balance of 3 weeks... so my next check-up will be on 7th November 2019. Again, that depends on whether or not she adds more weeks after the 7th....

Oh well, she wants the best recovery chance for me. Latest x-ray below...

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-26 at 15.05.59.jpeg