Rear ended at controlled left turn.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by neanderthal, Feb 16, 2019.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Minding my business on the way home from work. One mile odd from home, light is red, and I have to turn left. It turns green, but not for the controlled left. I wait. I'm the only one waiting to turn left, in the right of two left turn lanes.

It turns green, and before I even have an opportunity to turn the throttle I get rear ended. I wear ear plugs, but didn't hear anything (brakes/ tires screeching) until I felt the impact. The first sensation was of my bike shooting out from under me. The impact. Being on the ground. The car seemingly not stopping for aeions. Me wondering if I'd then get run over by its wheels. "Why are they still driving godammit, didnt they feel the impact. Oh god they better stop. They better have insurance . Why are they still driving!! STOP!!!!"

Then. Lying on my side. Forever. On my left. Facing the traffic. Nobody moving, nobody getting out of their car, no hazard lights, no nothing. Just a vacuum of silence. Then the pain. It came like a freight train out of nowhere. Its everywhere. Ears ringing. My heads pounding. Tears streaming down my face. Struggling to breathe. Everything hurts. A voice, female "Oh my God are you ok?" Feet appear in the hazy fog. I'm still trying to breathe. "Please say something. Are you ok? I'm so sorry. Are you ok."

All I can do is groan and moan. Finally my lungs are working. Everything still hurts. That same voice "can you move? Oh my God, are you OK?"" Through the fog of pain and tears I can hear other people saying things, although I can't make out what's being said except "Don't move him." Thank you I say internally. I'm still struggling to breathe. My sinuses are completely blocking my nose. I'm trying to mentally do a self examination: can you feel your toes, wriggle your toes, can you feel your hands, wriggle your fingers, I'm trying to catch my breath, is there any pain that's clearly head and shoulders above the rest, announcing its paramount to all others.

Non board certified assessment done I try to relax. I'm still struggling to breathe. Lying down isn't helping. I want to get up. I want to open up my lungs and clear my airways. I'll feel better being able to breathe easier. I put my arm up and ask if i can be helped to sit up. "No, you have to stay still" im told. We discuss the recovery position in rugby: its like the foetal position, it prevents choking, vomit going down the airway etc and im almost in that position already. "Don't move" makes sense. I give up on wanting to sit up. Try to normalise your breathing i say. I can hear my heartbeat. It's damn loud in among the noise of concerned bystanders giving directions and instruction to 911. I can hear / feel a ringing in my ears still, although it's waning.

There's a gentleman crouched in front of me asking me questions. I try to tell him I'm wearing earplugs and can't "hear him" without reading his lips. He backs up so I can see his face. Asks if im ok. I don't know, I think so. But my nose is stuffed so I don't know what that sounded like. He says something illegible. I saw "wha..." as clearly as I can and he repeats it. I still can't quite make out what he's saying although the din from my heartbeat is dissipating. "Huh?" It's easier to say that as there is no T sound that'll temporarily block the airway. I'm still struggling to breathe. I remove the glove from my right hand, I need to call my mum. "Can I pray for you?" is what he's saying.

Go ahead I say. I'm trying to find my mums phone number through the fog of tears . I'm not quite able to dial it, as he's uttering words to the deities of his choice. Lying prone with a mist descending from the heavens, and seemingly looking directly into the headlights of cars and street lights it's hard to see. Then there's tears flowing ceaselessly too. I do the "call mum" thing but I guess with my nose blocked Google doesn't understand me. Someone, mercifully, props up my head a little bit with something and breathing is a little easier. I see my call log and punch my sisters number. He's still praying I say "my sister" and give him the phone.

He immediately starts talking to whoever picked up.

The pain has receded a little. EMS folks are now here. Asking me my name, age, the date etc. I'm still struggling to breathe. Can I feel this, can I wriggle that? No, nothing hurts the most, but it's better than ages ago. Actually my back hurts more than anything else. In the background, amidst all the shadowy figures, I see my brother in law. "My brother" I point. Thank God I was one minute from home.

They continue to assess. They tie me up like a hog, put me on a board, remove my jacket (ATGMTT) and helmet, wheel me into the bus and take me to the hospital. Cut my clothes off, including a bloody nice windbreaker I bought at Rugby School when I went to England for world Cup Rugby. They had asked "can I cut off your jacket?" Go ahead, I responded, I have three of them. I thought they meant my motorcycle jacket, but I realise now it'd been taken off me in the process of putting me on the stretcher. I vaguely remember the discomfort of trying to take my arm out of the sleeve. My shirt was a 50th anniversary Polo for my rugby club. It's a mess of rags now.

The hospital is another story.

What could I have done to prevent it? Run the red light into the no man's land of the intersection and hope there was no one on my right going straight.

I just got home an hour ago and I'm just writing this because I can't sleep (sinusitis) and I need to remember it.

No rain but it was precipitating, not enough to call it drizzle though. More like a mist. Open sight lines. 7:40ish pm.

Don't know what's happened to my bike. It's been towed somewhere. I hope she has good insurance.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was probably the best stream of consciousness during the incident report I've seen. The way the thoughts run through your head before everything settles. The sinusitis must have made it even more disorienting and frustrating.
    Glad you're home already. I take that to mean no serious injury!
  3. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh Damn!!!! I hope the healing goes well.
    neanderthal likes this.
  4. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well --- that sucks. Quite the visual description, maybe I won't be able to sleep now?
    You'll start feeling better soon - keep talking to us . . .
    CCitis and neanderthal like this.
  5. Wearyeyed

Wearyeyed Lost Soul Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not glad it happened, but super glad you are around to tell the story. Stay strong and heal.
    nk14zp and neanderthal like this.
  6. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Dammit, you needed louder pipes.. I hope the rest of the story goes better for you.. Can't wait to read it. Sorry for your troubles, heal well and fast.
    neanderthal likes this.
  7. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    I sarcastically thought this as I lay on the road.

I'm fortunate in being able to "disconnect" in this way in the moment. It's happened before. The panic sets in later, in this case when I started trying to remove the neck brace in the hospital because I couldn't breathe nicely. I was fighting that collar saying "I gotta go, I gotta go" and my brother in law had to go get the nurse.

Thanks guys. Everything hurts. Heads pounding. My neck. My jaw. A point slightly off center just above my eyes. My throat. My left arm above the elbow. My spine at about the level of my bellybutton
    . My abs (I have abs?). My left leg. There's a burning sensation above my left gluteous. Toes on my right leg. My lips are dry and im constantly thirsty. And my sinuses are still messing with me. But I can't be buggered to get up and go to the bathroom: it bloody hurts. It's why I'm thisrty, I'll have to go to the bsthroom.

I'm just glad I'm this side of the earth.
  8. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    Glad you're here to tell the tale, what are the extent of your injuries? This scenario is my biggest concern whilst riding.

I'd be consulting a personal injury attorney if it was me :deal

Good luck with your recovery!
    neanderthal likes this.
  9. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    And a get back whip.
    JustKip and neanderthal like this.
  10. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Intact. Just sore. Grateful to be alive.
    The Virginian likes this.
  11. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Damn. Sounds like there is not much you could have done. I usually keep an eye on the mirror at stop lights to make certain cars behind me see me and are stopping. Thinking about getting the Skene lights installed.

I hope you start feeling better soon.
    neanderthal likes this.
  12. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Man, sorry to hear brotha. I am glad to hear you are intact. We’ll hope the long term prognosis is good as well.

Are you located in the US, UK, Canada?
    neanderthal likes this.
  13. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Tejas. Norte Dallas.
    scrubb likes this.
  14. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Teeth hurt now. Temples too. The weirdest pains here and there.

And vertigo. I'm lying in my bed trying to distract myself with a rugby game and vertigo. I thought it was an earthquake.
  15. kalikali

kalikali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sucks! What can you have done differently? Not knowing more of the situation or being there, I can only take a guess. More situational awareness and definitley brighter break lights. What kind of bike is it? I have the Bille Jr lights from Clear Water lights on most of my bikes. It is extremely bright with just running lights, the break lights are super bright. I am consistently checking my rear view mirror when driving and sitting behind lights, if someone is driving too closely or approaching fast, I tap on the lights and that usually gets their attention.

rdtbull, neanderthal and Motonirvana like this.
  16. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are doing well considering. I will wait on the "what happened" and how to fix it until your'e doing better.
    neanderthal and Wearyeyed like this.
  17. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you’re still with us Brother! Hang in there! You’re tough and this will test you to the max but you’ll be riding again soon.
    neanderthal likes this.
  18. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived in Denton for a few years and had the worst motorcycle luck of all the places I've ever lived. Had never totalled a bike, totalled two within a year living there because of crap drivers.
    neanderthal likes this.
  19. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    A remarkably well-written post, @neanderthal, borne of a very unfortunate incident.

You still work, body and mind, although I've no doubt the former will be down for maintenance for a little bit.

I'm not close enough to offer in-person support, so I'll just watch the thread and give encouragement as I'm able.
    neanderthal likes this.
  20. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Thanks all.

Long day today. I had errands to run: adulting to do, regarding this whole mess. (big ups to my sister for spending all day patiently driving me around. I owe her massive.)

Police to get the police report.
    Pharmacy to get my prescription filled. (I spent all day in bed yesterday. I literally only wanted to sleep.)
    Tow yard to get my work keys off the keychain.
    ER to get them to extend the doctors note for work. They'd only given me a 3 day note. WTF use is a 3 day excuse from work when i've just been rear ended on a motorcycle? "I'm sorry sir, for anything longer you have to get one from your primary care physician." Well, that's a problem, because he's in Los Angeles. "Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do more than that sir." They really pissed me off. I already had a dismal opinion of them. (they gave me a script for three days of pain pills and ten days of sinus pills. My sinuses were clear today and i only took the normal allergy pill I take daily.) My parents taught me not to be rude so i was polite, although I was peeved.
    To an urgent care now, to see a doctor. Work *needs* a medical reason for me not to be at work, since the ER only gave me two days. Work will gladly give me the time off, but they need a valid medical release.
    Urgent care couldn't do it since it's a third party claim. They were able to recommend another clinic that does take 3rd party insurance claims.
    Back home with mum to get her stuff.
    Airport to see mum off.
    The third medical establishment of the day. Filled out forms for what seemed like hours... I have to return tomorrow for analysis of the xrays and a treatment plan.
    Try to get a rental car. The claim hasn't been filed in the system yet.
    Back to work with the doctors note. I was already up and about and didn't want to go back again tomorrow and face the kindly scrutineering from everyone. They mean well, but I like my privacy and I don't like being the center of attention.
    Then finally home again.

I got home tired, hungry, in agony. I wolfed down a sandwich and took the medication and it took about thirty minutes for it to kick in. My back was beginning to voice it's resentment and ready to start a coup de tat. Blessed pharmaceutical relief came just in the nick of time.

Somewhere in all that mess of activity, I called the police, the tow yard, their insurance, my insurance, car rental place, the third medical establishment and took two calls from my insurance and their insurance. Rental car sorted because their client admitted fault (um, ... there were witnesses and i was rear ended while stopped correctly at a traffic light, pretty cut and dried.) I have to pick it up tomorrow.

I'm so tired.

I have to itemise all the items damaged (helmet, jacket, gloves, shirt, backpack (fucking nice backpack too. OGIO Prospect Pro.) It was cut off me by the paramedics) jeans, etc) Fortunately the ER put all my clothes in a big trash bag, so I just have to take pictures and give them estimates (seems wrong. I'd think I'd have to buy equivalent replacements then get reimbursed?!?!?) But how do I put a price on a nice windbreaker I got in the Rugby School gift shop in England when I went there for World Cup Rugby. Do I buy another and get the Rugby School gift shop to send me one? Then bill them for shipping too? How do I price a limited edition 50th anniversary polo shirt from my rugby club that I played with in LA. I literally only brought 7 shirts with me from LA and that was one of them. They're just "things" I know. But i'm the guy who still has his first car even though it doesn't have an engine or transmission right now. I have things because I use them or they mean something to me.

Thanks to reading threads here in Face Plant I had taken notes of my various aches and pains so I had a nice comprehensive list. The Dr was impressed with my thoroughness. I just had forgotten to list symptoms (nausea, vertigo, tingling in my fingers etc) that might be related.

Bike didn't look as bad as i thought it would. Although, there was a lot of little things broken/ wrong with it. However with everything hurting I couldn't bend to take a closer look, or even linger. It sounds like they're gonna try and fix it, but the seat was misaligned from the tank, and that implies frame damage to me. Honestly if they give me $1000 for my stuff, replace the bike, handle the medical, and pay for my missed time off work i'll be somewhat content. I'm not malicious or greedy. (And the other party admitted to looking down at their phone just before the collision.)

Question is, do i engage a lawyer?

Peanut section chime in please. VIP section, shush, there's wisdom afoot.
    drmiller100, ACR, budsboy and 2 others like this.