1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rear ended at controlled left turn.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by neanderthal, Feb 16, 2019.

1. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is like adding insult to injury (IMO) ---
  2. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I was you.
    1. Get a lawyer.
    2. Find a therapist that specializes in myofascial release therapy for the whiplash.
    spezjag and Motonirvana like this.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You're right. Here's a black DCT for $3K less and Neanderthal has said in the past he doesn't mind fly and rides to save bucks....
    neanderthal likes this.
  4. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Day three. (I don't count the day after as I barely got out of bed.)

I sent the adjuster an email with pictures of all my stuff and the approximate cost. Of course I forgot my backpack. That took longer than I thought because now everything takes longer than normal. As soon as I hit send it ws time to g. I had to shower and leave without eating breakfast. Or taking any medication. That was, ... unwise.

Therapy first thing. Two hours later i walked out more limber, but with the pain knocking at the door. Hurried home to take a OTC painkiller from England (they're a higher dose than the ones we get here. Mum left hers for me.) Then drove to cycle world. I needed to see helmets and stuff. Job done, I got some graze at Steak and Shake and headed to Sherman to see the black Africa Twin DCT and get a bottom line price. Good price. Pity it's all the way out there.

From there i headed to Al Lamb(?) in Dallas. The guy at cycle gear had suggested that as a place where I could get good pricing and honest service. They weren't even trying with their price. Most likely; pass.
    Stopped at another Honda dealership in Plano, on the way home. A little higher than Sherman, but a lot closer too. Quite possible.

Headed home. The pills were already wearing off. Hung out with my nephew a bit, just chilling then had to lie down. Soon it was dinner. Over dinner conversation I decided to buy my nephew Howard Zinns book, A Peoples History Of The United States. So as soon as I left i went to the book store to get it for him. I had to get laundry detergent too because we were out, so that's what I was really going to get. Book store was 30 minutes away, so by the time I got to the supermarket all hell was breaking loose in my back. I had to use one of those carts old people use, and of course my sister wanted a bottle of wine since I was already at the grocery store. I was miserable by the time I checked out.

I got home almost in tears, scarfed something so I could take the heavy duty medication, and immediately sought the refuge of bed. My sister is watching something on netflix so she's graciously doing my laundry to have me avoid being up. (And sipping on her vino.) She could see from my face as soon as I got home that I was i no condition to do it.

So i'm waiting for the pain to subside right now. I might just go straight to sleep as soon as it does. It's certainly keeping me from doing anything else right now.
    Amphib and fasttortoise like this.
  5. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    I work too hard for my money to not care about the price of the things I buy. Especially big ticket items.

I'm considering the VFR, but it's a distant 2nd in preference to the AT.

It's currently (all DCT;)
    Black AT
    30th Anniversary livery AT
    Honda current blue white red livery
    Silver AT AS
    30th anniversary AT AS
    Red AT
    Then VFR.
    Amphib likes this.
  6. twinrider

Oddometer:

Test ride one, then you’ll know for sure. Might be some owners around if a dealer won’t let you take a spin.
  7. zundappuk

zundappuk Watch out chaps its a Focke!

Oddometer:
    On the Siegfried Line in the German Eifel
    Hope you heal well and quickly!

Take care of the Whiplash, I still suffer with neck problems 25 years after being rear ended in a car. My therapist said that I would have issues for life. Fuck it, he was right.
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    If you have never ridden an Afrika Twin, you will be pleasantly surprised. Hope your days start to get less painful soon.
  9. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    If you may have to litigate to get a fair settlement, one thing I was told by a lawyer is keep a pain journal. Obviously it's much better to get a good legal opinion yourself than to hear the one I got 3rd hand.

Health wise, I have a problem with the pain journal thing, since much of healing seems to be attitude driven, and I think it's more helpful to focus on the positive than the negative. Unfortunately it may be necessary to get a good settlement.

Heal fast, and get a good deal on a replacement AT!
    neanderthal likes this.
  10. neanderthal

Oddometer:

Um, ... i've had two, both DCTs, and i'm looking at a prospective third one.
  11. neanderthal

Oddometer:

I haven't been doing so, per se, but I do have a semblance of it in this thread. I shall do so going forward. I'm at the "being upright more than a couple of hours is painful" stage. I was trying to sort my laundry and pair up my socks. Just kneeling for ten minutes to do that I was in agony.

I'll have to bribe my nephew to fold and hang up my clothes.
  12. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    ^

Damn, someone needs to be paying for your pain and suffering - especially since it is 100% their fault :deal
  13. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    This reminds me of when I went over the bars and landed on my head, my upper back hurt so bad for days I could barely move. Once I went back to work I had a heating pad that I kept on my back most of the time. Sucks.
    neanderthal likes this.
  14. r-man

r-man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="neanderthal, post: 37008286, member: 43768"]Tejas. Norte Dallas.[/QUOTE]

This wasn't in Addison, by chance? Inwood Rd?

MAN! Glad you're (mostly) ok.

I lived in Frisco from 01 to 05, now I live in San Angelo. I quit riding in the DFW in 2002 after a close-call very similiar to your accident...going north on Inwood, turning left onto Belt Line- but I had no earplugs and was lucky enough to see the pickup in my rear view mirror- didn't seem to be slowing down, so I whipped in front of the car sitting to my immediate right- the pickup went barreling through the intersection, and t-boned a BMW going East with enough force to total both vehicles and launch the BMW 5-series all the way across Belt Line and into the cars sitting at the opposing light.

The ONLY thing you can do is be hyper aware- paranoid is good, imho- and ride like every single opening around you is an opportunity for someone to blindside you... but since that isn't a lot of fun, I quit riding in the big cities, confining my 2 wheeled fun to places with far less traffic density.

Maybe lose the ear plugs when commuting? That's the ONLY thing I can come up with... but your hearing is pretty danged valuable, so I dunno...

Good luck, and happy you're doing ok.
    neanderthal likes this.
  15. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    This wasn't in Addison, by chance? Inwood Rd?

MAN! Glad you're (mostly) ok.

I lived in Frisco from 01 to 05, now I live in San Angelo. I quit riding in the DFW in 2002 after a close-call very similiar to your accident...going north on Inwood, turning left onto Belt Line- but I had no earplugs and was lucky enough to see the pickup in my rear view mirror- didn't seem to be slowing down, so I whipped in front of the car sitting to my immediate right- the pickup went barreling through the intersection, and t-boned a BMW going East with enough force to total both vehicles and launch the BMW 5-series all the way across Belt Line and into the cars sitting at the opposing light.

The ONLY thing you can do is be hyper aware- paranoid is good, imho- and ride like every single opening around you is an opportunity for someone to blindside you... but since that isn't a lot of fun, I quit riding in the big cities, confining my 2 wheeled fun to places with far less traffic density.

Maybe lose the ear plugs when commuting? That's the ONLY thing I can come up with... but your hearing is pretty danged valuable, so I dunno...

Good luck, and happy you're doing ok.[/QUOTE]

McKinney. Custer and Virginia.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  16. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Day 4. (again, i'm not counting sunday as I spent all day in bed and only got up to go to the bathroom and to eat. I'm counting days with activity.)

Got up. Pain was already knocking at the door. Took the last prescription tablet. That knocked things back. Slept in a little then had to get up and adult. I'd corresponded with Scorpion asking whether a jacket was one and done, after an accident, like a helmet, to see if I should list that. They had responded with a "not necessarily, but it likely should be as it's integrity is now compromised." So I took a picture of the jacket, found a link for comparable jacket from Scorpion, forwarded that email to the insurance adjuster.
    To the doctors for therapy. Left with a better gait than I had coming in. The pills may remove the pain but the therapy loosens the muscles up.
    Drove to the tow yard, i'd forgotten my phone mount on the bike. Bike was gone. The insurance lady had mentioned they'd take it from there and take it to their own facility in order to reduce the storage fees. I'd given my consent, so I guess they'd followed through.
    Drove to a motorcycle dealer who I thought carried Honda, but i was wrong. They only carry Indian.
    I had been in the process of house hunting, and mostly looking at new construction because of the much higher energy efficiency standards, versus the older ones, since the implementation of such by President Obama. I had looked at a particular model home in Windsong Ranch whose patio blew me away, but I couldn't remember much of the house itself. So I went back to go take another look. I was already up, and it's only 15 minutes from home.

As I arrive there's a car being unloaded. They're bringing sodas and water into the house. I gingerly walk into the house and i'm greeted by a beautiful young African American/ latina lady, a gentleman, and the lady I had previously gushed to about the spectacular patio. "hi, how are you." They all ask as I limp by.
    I respond with "i'm alive" or "happy to be alive" to each one.
    "Can I help you?" the older lady says.
    Oh, I was here a few weeks ago and I was taken aback by the patio and i'm not sure if I went and saw the rest of the house, so I just came to take a look.
    Sales lady "oh, go right ahead. Didn't you come in on a motorcycle last time, was that you?"
    Yes, that was me.
    Her "Can I offer you some water, something to snack on? Are you ok? You seem to be hurt."
    Leaning on the kitchen island; I was rear ended on Saturday night.
    They all show genuine concern. "were you on your bike? Are you ok? Is everything ok?"
    I respond. No broken bones or anything thank God. Just a lot of pain.
    Sales lady. "you came in last time wearing all the paraphenalia"
    And thank God I was wearing it on Saturday!
    They all "well i'm so sorry it happened" etc etc.
    Me; thanks. it is what it is.

I go to take a look at the house. The older lady and the man retreat to their office. The young lady stocks the fridge with the supplies they brought.

As I come back, she says "do you mind if I ask, where was the accident?"
    I tell her. McKinney. On Custer and Virginia.
    Her hands go flying to her mouth. "Oh my god. I think I know the lady who hit you."

Her aunt/ relative/ lady she goes to church with/ lady she babysits for/ something.

So she was mega contrite. I knew not to direct any invective at her. I acted neutral with the "it happens" attitude. She stated had already been lectured about the dangers of not paying full attention by her aunt since then.

Fucking small world!!!

Anyway. Came home and sorted my socks, kneeling. As i alluded to above. That put me in a world of pain, so I just laid down for the rest of the afternoon. I don't have the heavy duty painkillers anymore. That was the point where I was nearly in tears, so I just tried to sleep. And was woken up by my nephews coming in from their soccer practise. The OTC painkillers take the edge off, but you can still feel it somewhat.

After dinner i was helping the 2nd grader with his homework, basic subtraction. The method they are teaching them *boggles the mind*; why not just teach them the units. tens, hundreds, thousands etc of the number line, then the basics of addition and subtraction. They're being taught this grouping thing that just complicates the whole thing unnecessarily. It frustrated the fuck out of me that he didn't even know his units from his tens.

I'm writing this online and now taking notes in a notebook, then going straight to bed. I see the doc in the morning. Hopefully I will get a prescription for more pain meds.
  17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes you have to put some things on hold to let your body heal. You probably want to slow down for a bit. Even stop.
    Charlie Gary, nk14zp and neanderthal like this.
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Hope you start feeling better soon.
    Amphib likes this.
  19. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate.

I'm done with all the logistics of what I needed to do. Taking the weekend off completely, but then I have to start being somewhat active. My job requires constant activity, walking, bending, lifting, running even. I can't get in work shape if I stay in bed all day. I've said i'll do one thing a day just to be up and about. Starting Monday. I thought I could start yesterday but that was ill conceived.

We'll see how she goes.
  20. r-man

r-man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife is a 4th grade teacher, and former 3rd and 5th.... almost every elementary teacher in Texas HATES the current, REQUIRED, method. They all are very frustrated. I some schools (my wife's being one of them) they teach that method because they have to, and it's on standardized tests now, but they also teach the old school, 'borrow 1, carry" method we all learned... and some schools and districts go so far as to PROHIBIT them from teaching both methods.

How screwed up are we, as a nation, when the crazy method is nationally required?

/rant off
    CROSSBOLT and neanderthal like this.