Rear ended at controlled left turn.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by neanderthal, Feb 16, 2019.

1. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    After the abysmal record Texas has for teaching science, whod've thunk they'd screw up math too? Next there will be a referendum to decide if the whole state should pray for things to improve.
  2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if that's perhaps more a reflection on Texas. :-)

Parents have had hissy fits over it here, the teachers, less so. Parents who are nerds and into doing the homework with their kids, by and large, have recognized that dang, these kids are grasping math concepts earlier and better than when we were the same age.

Just because something is new and different doesn't make it bad and wrong.
  3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    In grade 2 (grew up in Zimbabwe) I was so far ahead of my peers that I did one term of grade 2 then the rest of the year as grade 3.

Back story. Grade 1 I went to a segregated school. Blacks only. Poor infrastructure, overcrowding, lack of amenities etc. Just to give you an idea of what apartheid era schooling for blacks looks like, we took some lessons outside under a tree in a system called "hot seating." Because other grade 1 classes needed the class. And we were crammed in there. The desks were close together and there were desks all along the side of the classroom too (not facing the front wall but the side wall opposite) on both sides. My class, Grade 1A was already overcrowded. We sat 2 to a desk. We were part of the lucky ones who went to pre school/ kindergarten/ creche. I knew my numbers and letters and colors. Some of the kids in my neighborhood didn't go to pre school and were playing outside all day. They already were so far ahead of my brother and I in soccer, anything requiring throwing and catching, jump rope, coordination etc. But they played outside all day. Didn't know their letters and numbers.
    So, anyway, for extra curricular activities we had soccer, netball, track and acapella choir. That's all I remember, but I was 7. There might have been more.

Grade 2 I am sent to a former whites only school. Boarding school. Not only do we have soccer, track, choir, we also have rugby, cricket, netball, field hockey, swimming, tennis, volleyball, etc. The school has it's own library. It's own natural history museum. Music. Theatre. Art. We sit one to a desk and the entire school is 100- 150 at the most. Grades one through seven, Maybe twenty a class. I speak pretty much NO English at that time. But everytime we are given sums we (my brother and I) are done with them in three minutes. The other students (all white by the way) are struggling.

Teachers asks (first few times) "why are you just sitting there? Do the sums on the board" (I think, I didn't speak but two words of English (English is my fifth language.) I stare back blankly. So does my brother (we're twins) She comes over to scold us, but then realises that we had already done the sums. We did them while she was writing them on the board, then after while she was explaining.

After a while she assigned us extra English (Berenstein Bears, Dr Suess etc) to read when we were done with math. That way we could catch up on our English while she assisted the other kids. Who were so far ahead of us in English, but then again, that was their home language.

All of that to say I could add and subtract by the time I was in Grade 2. As soon as the teacher wrote the sum on the board I could do it. We were taught the numberline and that units had to be placed directly under the units, tens under tens etc. Then you could "borrow and carry" It seems so much easier to grasp than this grouping nonsense.
    Motonirvana and Amphib like this.
  4. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Today was awful.
    It started last night as I was out of pain meds. I didn't sleep well. I woke up sore and tired with my back tight and angry. Pain level probably a 9 where 10 in unbearable/ excrutiating.

Saw the doctor at therapy and he immediately wrote me a new prescription. After, went to pick up my prescription, do some groceries while waiting for it to be filled.

Came home. Took the pain pill and collapsed into bed.

We're done until Monday. I'm only getting up to go to the bathroom or kitchen. That's it. I have books, magazines and loads of rugby games this weekend.

In a sense it's why I tried to get all the logistics handled right away; so i could concentrate on healing and not be chasing the pricing for this, did I take anything I need off my bike, etc
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    How about a hot bath?
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I figured you were from Europe given your user name.
    neanderthal likes this.
  7. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy ouch! You expertly described while agonizing from the significant trauma a sequential account of the event. A feat most of us would struggle to attempt. Bravo to you! I have read front to back all inputs to try to understand the whole sequence and how you are dealing with it. You seem to be doing better than expected and may realize the need to keep moving for better recovery. I would suggest considering CBD oil as a pain reliever if possible, strongest available. This stuff won't kill your liver or kidneys like OTC or script stuff. I would suggest a contingency lawyer if you go that way. Me? I would jump on this like a skydiver! Already been pointed out that her insurance company would rather run over you with a bus than give you a cent. I was stunned in 1967 by a San Diego area teacher telling me they were graduating "functional illiterates." Meaning the graduate could not read. I asked how could anyone graduate IF THEY CANNOT READ? By law, the teacher said, 52 years ago. There was and is a concerted effort to have a population of ignorant, illiterate people and they are succeeding. Don't sweat it. Just heal and ride again! Awaiting your next report.
  8. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Right next door hey! :smooch
  9. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't imagine being able to speak/type a second language as well as you do, let alone a fifth.
  10. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neanderthal,
    Glad you are alive and on recovery. Heal well and fast, PT is the best.

One piece of advice I offer from experience during a back injury. If you are still on the "good" pain med's meaning opiates. Get yourself some stool softeners. Take one with every pain pill.

The alternative would be experiencing the title to a Jethro Tull song, "Thick as a Brick"!
    ragtoplvr, neanderthal and Amphib like this.
  11. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

I understand the other four, speak three quite well, one I am conversant in, but I understand it more than I speak it.
  12. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Indeed.
    I'm drinking a tonne of water, but it hasn't been enough. If consume a lot if dairy it has almost the same effect.
  13. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    Monday morning quarterbacking is easy, but it's impossible to stay in Condition Orange continuously. Random chance exists, and sometimes Fate is going to land on you. Sure, the OP could have had the ninja-like reflexes to see the car behind him and make the split-second decision to pop the clutch, jump off the bike, and pirouette while airborne as his bike was smashed under him while in slo-mo as his POV rotated through 360 degrees... but life isn't a movie.

I've been in a bad accident that wasn't my fault. Elapsed time was less than 2 seconds... and i tried a lot of things in those two seconds only to realize that it's time to harden up and take the hit NOW. All you can do is all you can do. There's risk with motorcycling and a big chunk of that is from inattentive or impaired drivers. Accept the risk or get off the bike. The OP didn't do anything wrong. Shit happens.

OP I'd get a lawyer and sue for as much as you can. You may have issues that don't appear for a while, and you need a new bike.
    neanderthal likes this.
  14. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    By the time the lawyer takes their cut i'm back to where I am now. I will wait until I see what they offer for pain and suffering. Replacing my items, bike, lost wages and paying for medical is a minimum. I have no major injuries, I have no gruesome injuries thanks to my mums prayers being ATGATT. That better count for something. I'll engage a lawyer if I feel they can do better.
  15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah , it is. But I’m going to say you didn’t fully read what I wrote, and didn’t understand what you did read.

If, as you say, you cannot stay alert when you ride, you might want to consider doing something else. Motorcycling isn’t something that tolerates inattention.
    uski likes this.
  16. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another thing, although my paramedic daughter disagrees. My bottle of pain killer had a sticker on the side that said, "May cause drowsiness, Alcohol may intensify the effect". So since the bottle recommended it I would wash the pill down with a shot of vodka or a beer. For a while after my injury I would use what I called a triple V cocktail: Vicodin, Valium, & Vodka. Of course you will not be able to do much but rest and nap after.
  17. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Saturday, and Sunday.

Blessed relief from prescription drugs. I stayed home and didn't get up to do anything but ice my back several times and do the stretches i've been doing in therapy.

Stayed in bed and watched rugby games (that Wales/ England one was wonderful!) Youtube videos and Netflix/ HBO. Pain levels were tolerable.

Opioid Induced Constipation is a thing though. Thank you whoever suggested taking a stool softener with each dose of painkillers.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  18. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck and heal fast brother... Thanks for sharing the details of your incident ... Can you please share what safety gear you were wearing at the time of the accident ?

I think you may help us all understand what gear helped minimized or even prevented more serious injury than what could have been ?

Here in So-Cal , I have stopped waiting alone in controlled left turn and stop light traffic lanes ! ...when sitting at red lights nowadays , you are a sitting duck for the distracted drivers ...

Thats's right , I watch and wait for a break in traffic , and LEO'S , then carefully , go thru the red light to the other side to avoid getting creamed by the dummies ...

Also , the magnet trigger sensors in the pavement to change the light to green almost never sense a motorcycle is waiting to turn left or straight ... Yes , running a red light is super dangerous , but ...

Watch your 6 guys and gals :thumb
    Motonirvana and neanderthal like this.
  19. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your kind words.

I was wearing a Scorpion EXO XDR jacket, modular Cyber helmet, some generic "cold weather" gloves (great for Los Angeles "cold" where I bought them. They suck in the "real" cold of Dallas when it actually gets to freezing and beyond, but they ok for the ten minute ride home) which are lined on the inside, long johns, regular Urban Star jeans from Costco, and the Ogio Prospect Pro backpack. Outside of my backpack which did get scarred (and cut off me) and my helmet (one and done in any crash) my clothes didn't sustain any noticeable damage. Paramedics cut em off though. There was pain everywhere and I was in a heightened sense of ... sensitivity I guess(?) (everything bloody hurt!) so I guess it was the prudent thing to make sure there were no broken limbs or punctured/ rashed skin.
    But, I do always wear a compression shirt (and long johns in cool weather) so i don't know if the two materials slid against each and prevent rash/ chafing.

The fact that the light had just turned green probably helped a little. My hand wasn't holding the brake anymore.
    mminob likes this.
  20. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding in socal when traffic controlled lights used some kind of rubber-covered threshold switch that was NOT triggered by anything less tha a thousand pounds! Ran a lot of lights!
    mminob likes this.