Rear ended at controlled left turn.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by neanderthal, Feb 16, 2019.

1. goosecreek

goosecreek A day late and a dollar short. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was hit at a light while waiting to turn left several years ago. I have had vertigo issues ever since.
    I was hugging the yellow line. The only thing I could have done different would have been to make three right turns and that is no way to go through life.
    Heal up fast.
    oh I am no ambulance chaser but I have pains now that I deal with because of the accident. Do not sell yourself short, you will have long term issues like it or not.
    zundappuk, neanderthal and nk14zp like this.
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    It's a magnetic loop. Any large vehicle closes the loop triggering the light to come on. Small vehicles like motorcycles and bicycles don't have the "mass" of metal required to close the loop.

*All that is me paraphrasing from what I recall.
  3. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Wow , sorry to read this scary report. I went through something similar last September. You should see an orthopedist and get an MRI if you haven't already. The laxitive things is urgent - you have to take laxitives. From what I have experienced, a spinal injury is very spooky and very painful. The nerves exiting the spine, if they get inflamed can transmit pain and spasms all over. They will calm down as time goes by, probably soon.

A hot bath will help. CBD oil taken orally and also CBD creme and sportscreme to rub in. And a heating pad. And time. Wishing you a speedy recovery. The first 2 weeks are the worst.

And not intending to be controversial, but I took a half a tramadol with a few tokes of pot and it killed my pain completely. I didn't really want to be high at the time but I mean it really took the pain away. Opiates don't work great for me.

If I am sitting at one of those controlled stop/turn things on my bike, and I get a break in the traffic, I just go. Light be damned, Too dangerous to be sitting there in traffic. You agree?
    neanderthal likes this.
  4. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get well soon OP. Had almost the same thing happened to me about 6 month back. Rammed from behind by a traffic light jumper. The back pain the thing I remember most, I was on pain killers for almost 2 weeks.

Luckily in Malaysia filtering is legal, so I always filter to the front of the line to eliminate chances of being rammed at the stop sign. Of course in your case you were the lone vehicle there, so nothing much you could do. Again, get well soon.
    neanderthal likes this.
  5. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Dude!!! Hang in there - you'll get thru this! Ya, its suck this happened, but it could have been much worse - and much worse has happened to others. Focus on getting better, rehabbing and be careful with the pain meds! You'll be back on the road!!
    neanderthal likes this.
  6. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe this was already written/offered as advice, but. You have absolutely no idea what injuries you have. Yea, I get it it, you think you know because you "feel" a certain way and some Doctor said 'here are your injuries'. But, to be brutally honest with you, both of you are FOS. I realize you want to get better, back on track, back to normal and pretend all is just fine. Well, it's not. Talk to me a year from now about what injuries you have and what hurts...still, and what doesn't work like it used to. Hopefully, my smartass response has a little of your attention now. First, do some legit research AND GET A LAWYER. There are great attorneys out there, ask around. Call AMA and get a referral. Second, stop rushing out to get another bike. Rent a car (your lawyer will advise on this). Sometimes, many times, the other guys insurance will pay for the rental up front. So, stop rushing on this. Do NOT negotiate or sign anything before you talk to a lawyer.

Seriously, I hope you heal up well, and end up with a new Africa Twin. God bless.

Mike
  7. neanderthal

Oddometer:

I have a rental car that they are paying for.

I have a car of my own but I need to fix some items and give it a tune up, it runs but poorly at the moment. However my bike is main mode of transport. Going for a ride is very cathartic for me. Same applies to my car. This crappy little rental car doesn't clear my mind in way shape or form.

I'm going to wait before engaging a lawyer.
    drmiller100 and Migolito like this.
  8. goosecreek

goosecreek A day late and a dollar short. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take the I do not want a lawyer but I must be compensated approach you may end up with the same end result for yourself if the insurance company is fair.
    You are right nothing clears the mind like a twisty road.
    neanderthal likes this.
  9. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    " insurance company fair" is like saying you're riding a Yamaha 700 Tenere tomorrow! :)
  10. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    I admire your cynicism, and when it comes to insurance companies, it's well merited. However, i'm going to wait and see what they offer me. If they cover my lost wages, medical, bike (they've already recompensed me for my damaged items!) then they've done right by me. Except for "pain and suffering." Which is a miasma of sorcery, snake oil, and organic, hand crafted artisinal bullshit. Pain and suffering exists; it's coming to a figure that compensates for it that is high grade bovine excreta.

I've PMed a few inmates and after the lawyer gets their cut, they all were a little disappointed by their net gain. And they had far worse injuries than I did. I have a figure in mind. It has many zeros. After the decimal. :lol3
    Migolito likes this.
  11. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I came across this the other day and was glad my state was included.

"Motorcyclists can run red lights—legally—in more than a dozen states. In Illinois, for example, in a municipality with less than 2 million residents, motorcyclists can treat the stoplight like a stop sign—provided they yield to other traffic before proceeding. The “dead red” rule also applies in Arkansas, Idaho, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin, which allow a motorcyclist to proceed with caution after coming to a complete stop through a red light that fails to detect the bike. A similar law was recently enacted in Oregon and Washington too."

https://www.cycleworld.com/11-off-wall-motorcycle-laws-for-2019#page-3
    neanderthal and mminob like this.
  12. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago I was in an accident. I was given the advice to treat the car/physical damage as one event, and the personal injury as another.
    Settle for the bike and "stuff", but for god's sake leave the personal injury open. Do NOT settle on that. Stuff can show up for 6 months to a year on your body, and if you settle, you are SOL. And it can be REALLY expensive.

Call your insurance agent, and talk to them. Normally, they will cover YOUR stuff knowing full well they will be reimbursed by the other company down the road, with interest. That is how they roll.

Honestly, you sound pretty fucked up. I sure wouldn't settle until you have your wits back with you, and a LOT of time has gone by so weird stuff doesn't show up unexpectedly.
    ramblin66 and neanderthal like this.
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very much so. Just using my fun with a Kenworth, we settled up on the vehicle in just a few months. Over 2 years before we settled the medical. In part because of ongoing medical treatment, and in part because of my medical insurances lawyer and the subrogation. Hospitals and doctors tend to bill your medical insurance. Then they go after the liable vehicles insurance, and you're stuck in the middle for a while.

Neaderthal, don't rush to settle the medical, don't rush to declare yourself all better. It's a hell of a body blow, getting hit by a car. You need to let yourself heal. And while you're doing that, read up on the laws for your state. Not to milk the system, but to understand how it works where you live.
    neanderthal and drmiller100 like this.
  14. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all.

They are writing off my my bike and have offered me $10461.31 for it. 2017 Africa Twin DCT with 35XXX(?) miles. Does that seem fair?

I've been billed $10000 by the ER doctor and the hospital. Do I sent that to the other persons insurance and just say "you're paying all my medical" or do I submit it to my health insurance?
  15. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey are writing off my my bike and have offered me $10461.31 for it. 2017 Africa Twin DCT with 35XXX(?) miles. Does that seem fair?

I would guess that's more than what you would get on the open market...but NO it's not fair, none of it really is.

I will also chime in with the "get a lawyer" crowd - at least consult a lawyer. Most will do this free of charge. Go talk to someone who makes their living going through this and stop asking for third hand advice from the internet.

Also, thank you for the detailed play by play, really helps put it in perspective for anyone who hasn't been through something like this, myself included.
    Goggles Paisano and spezjag like this.
  16. Jamesx2

Jamesx2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow!! Glad you are healing up some what. When I turned 50 5 years ago I had to buy a bike,, aginst my wifes wishes. A few weeks later I was rear ended waiting at a cross walk in town. I have no idea how fast the driver was going but when it happened I heard the crunch then felt me going over the bars and sliding on the ground. I was wearing My Icon jacket. jeans, boots and gloves. Some how I came out of that unhurt and declined a ride to the Hospital. I got scared and sold that bike. 5 years later I have a new bike. These stories scare me with talk of not being able to go back to work and wifes leaving them because of trauma or lack of income. I take away all the good ideas about what could have been done to prevent getting in the way and try to use them when I ride. Glad you are still with us and still want to ride
    neanderthal and CROSSBOLT like this.
  17. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because of continued maintain issues with mag loop and the not detecting Mc and bikes they are now going with video detection. It is better but nowhere near 100%. Good luck and heal well. You will find you can now predict the weather with your aches and pains.
    Rod
    neanderthal and CROSSBOLT like this.
  18. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    We settled a head on my wife was in by our selves and with our insurance company's help. Late model car was replaced with brand new version (same model) 2 years newer. Everything paid for and 2.7 times total expenses as a settlement. My attorney (friend) reviewed the settlement for me and said it was good. We had to sign a waiver and subrogation clause when done. We waited almost 6 months before we settled.

We were prepared to litigate.
    neanderthal likes this.
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how your systems work but I'd be inclined to NOT involve my insurance and just pass that bill to the other person's insurance.
    Wandergives likes this.
  20. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn @neanderthal , you're a tough SOB- I'd be crying in my soup.

Here's hoping you continue to heal up.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.